The Sunday Game

Started by Jinxy, May 11, 2008, 10:47:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

full moon

Brolly had an article today totally criticising the RTE coverage. Was behind a paywall but he tweeted the jist. Must say I totally agree although people will just say he has a grudge against RTE and the head of sport. I believe he's also suing RTE but his point is accurate regardless of that.

Dougal Maguire

Athletic Grounds looking really well. Lovely backdrop of the 2 cathedrals
Careful now

Main Street

Quote from: full moon on May 15, 2022, 10:43:46 PM
Brolly had an article today totally criticising the RTE coverage. Was behind a paywall but he tweeted the jist. Must say I totally agree although people will just say he has a grudge against RTE and the head of sport. I believe he's also suing RTE but his point is accurate regardless of that.
RTE is what it is, as it was was during all the years Joe was on screen.  And now Joe is bothered about RTE (he doesn't even pay the license fee). He didn't have issue with RTE when he was embedded in the pundit triumvirate but has issues when they got rid of him, so yes it does bring up questions about Joe's bias in any critique of RTE sans Joe

marty34

Quote from: Dougal Maguire on May 15, 2022, 10:06:51 PM
Jesus you couldn't see the Wexford Westmeath match. Terrible presentation

Yeah Dougal, it was brutal.

Was there just one camera?

Didn't even seem it could zoom in.

Captain Obvious

Because he has and by the way have come across better after match analysis in the local bar than what came out of Brollys mouth on RTÉ.

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

It's all about Joe

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: Dougal Maguire on May 15, 2022, 10:06:51 PM
Jesus you couldn't see the Wexford Westmeath match. Terrible presentation

Mullingar has always been the same , I'd imagine it's to do with the facilities/vantage point provided to broadcaster

marty34

I'd say it's more about RTÉ thinking beforehand that Wexford will beat Westmeath out the gate and therefore they'd only need 30 sec coverage of their game on TSG.

johnnycool

Quote from: marty34 on May 16, 2022, 08:15:56 AM
I'd say it's more about RTÉ thinking beforehand that Wexford will beat Westmeath out the gate and therefore they'd only need 30 sec coverage of their game on TSG.

Yip,
bare minimum effort put in and then they try to muster 3 or 4 minutes of highlights and I'm yet to see a ball, just bodies running around.

Welcome to the Tailteann cup level of effort people.

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: marty34 on May 16, 2022, 08:15:56 AM

Everyone except Westmeath thought that, as i said I have always noticed the bad camera at Mullingar more than anywhere else, in both codes, very frustrating

Itchy

Quote from: Main Street on May 15, 2022, 11:17:24 PM
RTE is what it is, as it was was during all the years Joe was on screen.  And now Joe is bothered about RTE (he doesn't even pay the license fee). He didn't have issue with RTE when he was embedded in the pundit triumvirate but has issues when they got rid of him, so yes it does bring up questions about Joe's bias in any critique of RTE sans Joe

Ah I'd say him or the woman are paying the license fee as he lives in Mayo these days

marty34

Quote from: Itchy on May 16, 2022, 09:45:39 AM
Quote from: Main Street on May 15, 2022, 11:17:24 PM

Ah I'd say him or the woman are paying the license fee as he lives in Mayo these days

Is he not still a barrister working in Belfast?

imtommygunn

It would all be fine but his analysis wasn't fantastic either - it was entertaining but there was no real insightful analysis and he made some stuff personal.

It does need overhauled though. I found listening to the punditry on BBC yesterday pretty good. I didn't think the Tyrone boys sounded like they liked Derry mind you  ;D

joemamas

Quote from: imtommygunn on May 16, 2022, 12:30:59 PM
It would all be fine but his analysis wasn't fantastic either - it was entertaining but there was no real insightful analysis and he made some stuff personal.

It does need overhauled though. I found listening to the punditry on BBC yesterday pretty good. I didn't think the Tyrone boys sounded like they liked Derry mind you  ;D

I had the same thought yesterday. way way better, also way more analytical compared to RTE's "Cliche fest"

Cavan19

Quote from: joemamas on May 16, 2022, 03:22:16 PM
Quote from: imtommygunn on May 16, 2022, 12:30:59 PM

I had the same thought yesterday. way way better, also way more analytical compared to RTE's "Cliche fest"

In fairness it would not be hard to be better than RTE. When the games are on both channels i will watch BBC every time there knowledgeable and put the effort in.