The Sunday Game

Started by Jinxy, May 11, 2008, 10:47:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NAG1

Quote from: mylestheslasher on May 28, 2013, 12:14:02 PM
Quote from: johnneycool on May 28, 2013, 10:25:26 AM
Quote from: NAG1 on May 28, 2013, 09:58:32 AM
Quote from: AZOffaly on May 28, 2013, 09:51:43 AM
I understand what ye are saying lads, and I suppose it comes down to what do you expect an analyst, a paid, professional, analyst to bring to the party. Using his subjective view to slate someone from that pedastal is always distasteful in my opinion, and I feel the same about Brolly's character assassination of Grimley last week.

I think RTE are trying to make the Sunday Game 'edgy' for the past few years and this is just another flavour of it. "Disgruntled Ex-Player 'blasts' Sligo after defeat" is probably how a tabloid would play it, and I think that's what TSG is looking for. Tabloid TV.

I don't have a problem with someone using insight into a situation, which is why it's interesting to hear O'Rourke talk about Meath, etc etc, but I don't think what we saw on Sunday was that, I think it was someone with a major gripe, albeit legitimate, feeling vindicated and using the Sunday Game as a platform.

Just to say, I do think O'Hara was very composed and measured, it wasn't a rant by any means.

Just on COM, during the live show, what was the dig at JB for regarding the summer house? Came pretty much out of the blue and seemed a little uncalled for, felt like he had it stored up and was dying to get it into the conversation at some point.

I thought I heard O'Rourke going on about a summer house with a pool inside and outside over the noise of the youngsters fighting over lego.

Was he suggesting Brolly's fawning over Donegal was that he spends a bit of time there??

That conversation was a good and well deserved "score" for O Rourke. Brolly was wittering on about how Donegal last year could afford to foul around the 45 meter line with impunity and how they would now have to rethink given the scoring range that the Tyrone keeper has. O Rourke cut in and said it was curious how Joe was now talking about Donegals cynical fouling when before last years all ireland he came out and made reference to Mayo being a cynical team and no mention of Donegal. He then said maybe its because Joe is building a big house in Donegal and is their cheerleader. It was a point well made in my opinion. Then Joe knows rightly its all about publicity and no one is quite like the Mayo's to take the bait.

I got the jist of the point, though thanks for pointing out the obvious, my point on it was simply the fact the COR seemed to have it stored up and it was a silly point scoring exercise which once again points to the games that are being played out at RTE with these pundits.

Hound

Quote from: Declan on May 28, 2013, 12:25:22 PM
In general I think any of the "analysts" shouldn't be involved in covering their own counties games. It''s an amateur sport and they are less likely to be impartial and give an honest opinion with out being accused of bias etc.
Honest opinion is a pre-requisite, but personally I like a bit of bias. When Meath are playing, the pundit who I most want to hear is O'Rourke.
On Sunday night, Spillane talked an unbeliveable amount of BS, but the one interesting thing he did say was about Kerry. Everyone else was saying its genius to put Gooch at 11, but he said its very much "wait and see". Its all very well having a great playmaker out the field, but its not worth much if your corner forwards arent putting it over the bar

mylestheslasher

NAG1 - see the line you typed where you put a question mark on the end. Sorry to again point out the obvious but a question mark means the bit before it was a question, not a point or a statement. I tried to answer your question as I assumed you did not know the context in which the "summer home" comment was made.

NAG1

Quote from: mylestheslasher on May 28, 2013, 12:46:03 PM
NAG1 - see the line you typed where you put a question mark on the end. Sorry to again point out the obvious but a question mark means the bit before it was a question, not a point or a statement. I tried to answer your question as I assumed you did not know the context in which the "summer home" comment was made.

Question what was the dig at JB for, not what was the meaning of the dig.

Just to me seemed completely out of context, yes COR was correct to point out inconsistencies in JB's approach, but the dig way over the line and seemed personal.

Syferus

Quote from: highorlow on May 28, 2013, 09:08:53 AM
QuoteI'd say there was a better chance Walsh leaving if O'Hara kept his trap shut than there is now. He will probably stay on now out of spite.

as predicted

You predicted an under fire CB would lie and support their under fire manager? Sure didn't O'Hara even intimate Walsh would have to walk because the CB wouldn't have the guts to sack him? Predictable actions are predictable. It doesn't change the immense pressure and scrutiny the CB is under now.

highorlow

QuoteIt is pathetic that after two great victories for Cavan and London in the last two weekends, look what TSG has reduced the conversation to.

My thoughts also you could add Loud and Wickla to that also. Loud probably has been the performance of the CShip so far. Probably suits them though ssshhh... ;)
They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

Glensman

Quote from: NAG1 on May 28, 2013, 01:20:44 PM
Quote from: mylestheslasher on May 28, 2013, 12:46:03 PM

Question what was the dig at JB for, not what was the meaning of the dig.

Just to me seemed completely out of context, yes COR was correct to point out inconsistencies in JB's approach, but the dig way over the line and seemed personal.

I took it as a bit of banter between them but not knowing their relationship well I am not sure. Joe gives enough stick, disagrees with others' points, cuts across others, so fair play to COR.

Joe also needs to be called out more for his ability to completely and utterly change his mind to suit the occasion. His profession and experience may allow him to do it smoothly but he quite simply can argue something is black then, in the not too distant future, argue the same exact thing is white. Having seen him on RTE and in a couple of those panel sessions he just simply says what the audience wants to hear with a few controversial things thrown in. Re those panel sessions he gives his time for free so credit where credit is due.

It was as clear as day that he was referring to Donegal's trait of fouling out the field, which he never did last year but instead called Mayo out.
When Tyrone were flying a couple of years back they were playing a super brand of football, working for each other...over the past few years they (with the same team and manager) have been the subject of ridicule from him on occascion.

His comments previously re Cooper, re Grimley (still to watch that if anyone has a link) are way beyond his remit in my opinion and way to personal. He lauds the amateur nature of our assocation and the great community feel it has taking it way beyond soccer and others, yet he completely takes individuals to pieces who are doing their all to benefit such organisation. His personal abuse should be reigned in.

O'Hara was asked a direct question and responded. Whether it was the right forum or not or done in the right manner is a different question. He was on there and Cahill asked him the question. I have no doubt RTE were licking their lips about the "ex star, cast aside" being on their panel for the night.

The fact of the matter will I watch Brolly on the tv next week, yes - because Sidebottom on BBC is quite simply attrocious.
Will I tune in to see what stupid saying Pat comes up with (he really has lost the plot), yes.

Bensars

Pat Spillane is now akin to Fr Jack in the corner. On the periphary, rambling away with noone really listening anymore.
I would expect him to come out with something sensationalist soon to keep himself current against the newer analysts on the block.

At the end of the day they are paid analysts. Controversy creates newspaper articles and keeps them current and well up the pecking order, those who were less controversal despite being  more analytical and articulate have been discarded in the not too distant past.

Rossfan

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

johnneycool

Quote from: Rossfan on May 28, 2013, 02:30:34 PM
Quote from: Bensars on May 28, 2013, 02:22:17 PM
Pat Spillane is now akin to Fr Jack in the corner.

;D ;D ;D

He's certainly got the hairy hands syndrome. Probably a level 5 in all fairness.....

highorlow

QuotePat Spillane is now akin to Fr Jack in the corner.

Whealan should tell him next week in the middle of his weekly rave that it's his bath time.
They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

yellowcard

Never heard the bit where O'Rourke made the jibe about Brolly's holiday home but Brolly definitely seems to be starting to irritate O'Rourke. With Brolly cutting across him shouting 'I disagree' O'Rourke was visibly getting vexed and continued to shout back over the top of Brolly, its comical stuff at times if not taken too seriously and once the personal element is left out of it. Brolly is very clever and clearly a wind up merchant but its peculiar as to where exactly his love of Donegal has come from. Is it simply him being in awe of McGuinness, having a soft spot for the county or simply trying to be controversial and getting a rise out of Spillane etc. More than likely its a combination of all three.

These pundits do set the tone for the media debate that follows after games though. RTE's only duty is to boost ratings for the programme which is done by being controversial and having people with opinions.   

kilkenny footballer

at least they are gettin viewers and controversy is what they want! and pat spillane is just downright funny! and im a donegal man   ???

muppet

Quote from: kilkenny footballer on May 28, 2013, 06:13:08 PM
at least they are gettin viewers and controversy is what they want! and pat spillane is just downright funny! and im a donegal man   ???

I'd rather the Aprés Match crew and a bit more action.
MWWSI 2017

johnpower

Quote from: kilkenny footballer on May 28, 2013, 06:13:08 PM
at least they are gettin viewers and controversy is what they want! and pat spillane is just downright funny! and I'm a donegal man   ???

I actually  find them all entertaining I guess Rte  has them them all under  pressure to deliver some controversy