The Sunday Game

Started by Jinxy, May 11, 2008, 10:47:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

From the Bunker

Quote from: Premier Emperor on July 30, 2012, 04:39:56 PM
Quote from: From the Bunker on July 30, 2012, 04:08:08 PM
Look you are from Tipperary and it's important to you but in the North Western half of the country, We are outsiders in this Elite game, we have as much of a connection when watching Hurling as watching Man Utd!
It's your own loss if you take that attitude.

Of course it's our loss. Hurling is an Elite sport played at a top level by a maximum of eight counties. The rest of us are looking from a distance from the outside. The AI championship is really a glamourised Provincial Championship.

Aristo 60

Quote from: From the Bunker on July 30, 2012, 04:46:42 PM
Quote from: ballinaman on July 30, 2012, 04:34:03 PM
Quote from: From the Bunker on July 30, 2012, 04:30:11 PM
Just watched the Brolly Spillane spat on The Sunday Game on the RTE Player. I do not see Colm Cooper as a Choker, but i do see merit in Brollys argument that Kerry as a Team have choked when it has been put up to them in tight games. I found Spillane annoying the way he tried to fog  of the argument with no stats, just look at the medals, but his demeanour looked uncomfortable and i think Brolly struck a chord that dwells deep in the Kerry psyche.

Quote from: Denn Forever on July 30, 2012, 04:20:49 PM
I watch the highlights show on TG4 on Saturday morning.  Just the games with some interviews with Managers.  And they also show good highlightd of the Minor games.

Yeah, TG4 are on the money.
Agreed, as much of a bollix that Brolly is, he did have a point...at least enough for the lads to engage in a debate. Didn't like the way Spillane and Lyster were almost laughing at him

Yeah, instead of chairing the argument Lyster became part of the Spillane side which took from a good point ad did not let the debate develop. Poor review of Quarter-finals. Total disrespect for Laois, who are there on Merit and deserved more than a 'No' analysis. The rest of the analysis was wishy washy, but maybe that's all their standard of analysis is up to.

He hadn't much good to say about Down either and even took a sideswipe at us when analysising Kildare's chances. Poor form. I think every time Joe says something derogatory about another county RTE should make him finish his sentence with "but look sure what can I say, Derry are another level of sh1te".

joemamas

Quote from: ballinaman on July 30, 2012, 04:34:03 PM
Just watched the Brolly Spillane spat on The Sunday Game on the RTE Player. I do not see Colm Cooper as a Choker, but i do see merit in Brollys argument that Kerry as a Team have choked when it has been put up to them in tight games. I found Spillane annoying the way he tried to fog  of the argument with no stats, just look at the medals, but his demeanour looked uncomfortable and i think Brolly struck a chord that dwells deep in the Kerry psyche.

I watch the highlights show on TG4 on Saturday morning.  Just the games with some interviews with Managers.  And they also show good highlightd of the Minor games.

Agreed, as much of a bollix that Brolly is, he did have a point...at least enough for the lads to engage in a debate. Didn't like the way Spillane and Lyster were almost laughing at him

Thought it was best Sunday game show of the year. Michael Lyster does a wonderful job as host. He also had the dream team in the studio. Thought it was a good debate, Joe Brolly had some good points. I was laughing my arse off at Pat Spillanes expressions when he could not get a word in, he thought he was off camera and was making some awful gestures to Lyster, and Brolly kept going. I dont know how Michael Lyster keeps a straight face. Worth watching if you did not see it.
RTE if your are reading this, pay Michael Lyster double to also do the Sunday game programme. Otherwise show does not work.  This time of year you can also extend the show by 30 mins get more advertising etc (don't need a MBA in business to figure that out), and get rid of some of the nostalgia nonsense, just the facts please. I also like Kevin Mcstay who is knowledgeable and not afraid to make a point. Ciaran Whealan had also added something. Keep Tony Davis off the air, please, a complete spoofer who does little or no homework.

Q why does TV3 not have a similar type show with less bullsh*t. Surely it would up the ante on RTE.

Rossfan

Last Sunday night's show was probably the worst ever from a football point of view.
We had the 4  Round 4 games on that weekend only one of which was live on TV. These are high profile "last 12" games yet we got a total of about 5 minutes of action and trite little or no analysis but loads of Brolly and Spillane sh1te about Cooper being a choker.
Doesn't matter a fcuk if he is or not I want to get an idea what the games were like and then get a proper analysis as to why the winners won and the losers lost .
It can't be that hard  -- the hurling bucks on the same programme can do it.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

shawshank

Have a read http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/columnists/kieran-shannon/why-we-should-ignore-pundits-like-joe-brolly-202562.html

A slightly better analysis of Kerry. You should think for your self ;)

On saying that Brolly is gas craic

Dougal Maguire

Does Brolly think it cool to use phrases like ' they had no arse in their trousers' on TV. Would he use such language in a Court in front of a judge? The man's an ignoramus in my opinion.
Careful now

Sportacus

Get Bert le Clos onto the Sunday Game panel

screenexile

"just look at Conor Mortimer... Such a beautiful boy!"

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: shawshank on July 31, 2012, 02:46:03 PM

Have a read http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/columnists/kieran-shannon/why-we-should-ignore-pundits-like-joe-brolly-202562.html

A slightly better analysis of Kerry. You should think for your self ;)

On saying that Brolly is gas craic

Thanks for posting that, don't get to read enough Kieran Shannon these days
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

Mike Sheehy

You've been banging this drum for a few months now "From the bunker" but Its not working. It is as if you are trying to offload you're own counties "choker" tag to us  ::)  ..a bit sad really.

Asal Mor

That's a brilliant article by Kieran Shannon. Says it perfectly. Makes you wonder what's going on i RTE. Juding by his board almost all GAA fans are very unhappy with the football analysts. I suppose they'll always pull in the viewers anyway, having a monopoly on the unday Niht highlights.

EC Unique

Brolly's point made simple. Over the last 10 - 15 years it seems that if you can stick with Kerry for 60 minutes they will choke/crumble in the last 10 and will get beaten. Seems pretty straight forward to me.

armaghniac

QuoteBrolly's point made simple. Over the last 10 - 15 years it seems that if you can stick with Kerry for 60 minutes they will choke/crumble in the last 10 and will get beaten. Seems pretty straight forward to me.

It isn't quite as simple as that. If you haven't managed to stick with Kerry for 60 minutes then you have no chance of beating them. In 2000 Armagh went to extra time in a replay against Kerry, in 2002 we beat them. It could have been other way around.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

From the Bunker

Quote from: Mike Sheehy on August 01, 2012, 04:59:24 AM

You've been banging this drum for a few months now "From the bunker" but Its not working. It is as if you are trying to offload you're own counties "choker" tag to us  ::)  ..a bit sad really.

Nobody is perfect, not even Kerry, it is just an observation that i think has merit. I said it on this board before Brolly's rant. I think Brolly was out of order to have a go at Gooch in explaining it. After all it's a team game so to single out one individaul is wrong.

I'd have alot of offloading to try an get Kerry down to out to our level.  ;)

I must say the business side of the Championship is great this year.

Mike Sheehy

Quote from: EC Unique on August 01, 2012, 12:35:15 PM
Brolly's point made simple. Over the last 10 - 15 years it seems that if you can stick with Kerry for 60 minutes they will choke/crumble in the last 10 and will get beaten. Seems pretty straight forward to me.

Its a stupid argument because he is trying to make it seem as if its specific to Kerry. That argument can be made against any of the "top" team if you look at the totality of their results. Losing in the quarter final dumps you out of the AI championship just as surely as losing in the final does you know.