Author Topic: The Sunday Game  (Read 760859 times)

full moon

• View Profile
Re: The Sunday Game
« Reply #6240 on: May 09, 2022, 05:51:12 PM »
Sky presenter is Grainne McElwain from Monaghan, she's very good and improvement on the previous presenters on Sky.

Does she commentate on TG4 too? Excellent presenter, way ahead of Cantwell.

I'm not sure don't know much of TG4 team but she is an Irish speaker apparently so may do.

full moon

• View Profile
« Reply #6241 on: May 09, 2022, 05:53:31 PM »
What ever happened to Eamonn O'Hara? He used to do bits for RTE. Ciaran Whelan is being pushed out a bit too, ironically he can actually be decent when Dublin are not involved because unlike the rest the does some homework. I've listen to him on RTE GAA podcast and he isn't the worst.

It's totally changed since Brolly was removed and the Monaghan man took over. I think RTE are so afraid of being sued now they don't want their pundits to offer anything but the safest bland opinion and statements.

I think O'Hara is still on RTÉ radio covering games.

Interesting I would rarely have games on from radio, I noticed he was on Off the Ball recently.

Gael85

• View Profile
« Reply #6242 on: May 09, 2022, 07:11:22 PM »
Sky presenter is Grainne McElwain from Monaghan, she's very good and improvement on the previous presenters on Sky.

Does she commentate on TG4 too? Excellent presenter, way ahead of Cantwell.

I'm not sure don't know much of TG4 team but she is an Irish speaker apparently so may do.

I think she was presenter on TG4 for the ladies games.

Sportacus

• View Profile
« Reply #6243 on: May 09, 2022, 08:07:46 PM »
But even Brolly was a dose at times. When he focused on the games he was good, but then he would go off on one.
There is zero homework done and they are getting a few quid.

Sky and BBC are so far ahead, but as I said the technical crew are the same really. Like I said, clean house and raid the podcasts.
I miss aul Jimmy Smyth all the same.  He was great on BBC. 

armaghniac

• View Profile
« Reply #6244 on: May 09, 2022, 08:19:26 PM »
But even Brolly was a dose at times. When he focused on the games he was good, but then he would go off on one.

Sky and BBC are so far ahead, but as I said the technical crew are the same really. Like I said, clean house and raid the podcasts.

He was a co-commentator on some of the Beosport Ulster GAA games
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Sportacus

• View Profile
« Reply #6245 on: May 09, 2022, 08:41:05 PM »

He was a co-commentator on some of the Beosport Ulster GAA games
Didn’t know that.  He put down the BBC mic too soon.

mrdeeds

• View Profile
« Reply #6246 on: May 09, 2022, 10:10:47 PM »
Des Cahill introduced Cavan Donegal last night saying that Donegal wouldn't forget the game in 2020 when Cavan bet them after Donegal had the game wrapped up. What the hell, not even a second cousin of reality. Then Cavanagh and the Gooch stood up for analysis so Cavanagh could put a box in front of the Cavan goal and look at it for a few minutes. Awful,awful stuff. In the Antrim game highlights they got a lot of the Cavan players names wrong. Amateur stuff.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2022, 10:30:39 PM by mrdeeds »

Farrandeelin

• Hey buckaroo! How are you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6247 on: May 09, 2022, 10:22:55 PM »
For fear of jinxing the whole lot - as he hasn't been heard this year yet - but has Dessie Dolan stood down?
Finest GAAboard moment: finished joint first on week 2 of the League prediction competition.

full moon

• View Profile
« Reply #6248 on: May 09, 2022, 10:38:18 PM »
Days of outspoken ‘personality pundits’ over – we’ve evolved, says RTE’s head of sport

https://www.thesun.ie/sport/football/8754625/rte-gobby-personality-pundits-over-legends-change

The man in charge sums up the new culture change. I don't agree with him about what's replaced it however. No more "personality pundits". So I guess bland nothing punditry is hear to stay on RTE.

Gael85

• View Profile
« Reply #6249 on: May 10, 2022, 10:35:33 AM »
For fear of jinxing the whole lot - as he hasn't been heard this year yet - but has Dessie Dolan stood down?

He selector for Westmeath..Hopefully he doesn't reappear when Westmeath finish up.

imtommygunn

• View Profile
« Reply #6250 on: May 10, 2022, 10:37:09 AM »
The Michael Owen of the sunday game.

tiempo

• View Profile
« Reply #6251 on: May 10, 2022, 12:27:13 PM »

Absolute class act is Jimmy Smyth, still going on various fringe games, should be doing high profile Ulster games

laceer

• View Profile
« Reply #6252 on: May 10, 2022, 01:44:11 PM »

Absolute class act is Jimmy Smyth, still going on various fringe games, should be doing high profile Ulster games

He was/is unreal. Always remember him and Peter McGinnity commentating on The Championship in the early 90's "And it's that man [insert name of point scorer]"

seafoid

• View Profile
« Reply #6253 on: May 10, 2022, 02:58:45 PM »
Days of outspoken ‘personality pundits’ over – we’ve evolved, says RTE’s head of sport

https://www.thesun.ie/sport/football/8754625/rte-gobby-personality-pundits-over-legends-change

The man in charge sums up the new culture change. I don't agree with him about what's replaced it however. No more "personality pundits". So I guess bland nothing punditry is hear to stay on RTE.
That is a really long article for Sun readers
Lookit

joemamas

• View Profile
« Reply #6254 on: May 10, 2022, 03:10:42 PM »

He selector for Westmeath..Hopefully he doesn't reappear when Westmeath finish up.

Please please Lord have Westmeath win at least two or three qualifiers.