Galway v Mayo, Preliminary Quarter-Final, Pearse Stadium 3pm Sunday

Started by An Fhairche Abu, June 20, 2023, 01:09:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

From the Bunker

David McKeown

Quote from: square_ball on June 25, 2023, 04:51:42 PM
Quote from: David McKeown on June 25, 2023, 04:47:58 PM
Quote from: Gael85 on June 25, 2023, 04:43:06 PM
An Enjoyable game. Well done to Mayo and refereed excellently by Sean Hurson.

Did you think so?  I thought he was inconsistent and didn't apply the rules. Two clear black cards he gave yellows for (the hand trip and the dissent). Also when his own county can be impacted by the result in the next round he shouldn't have been refereeing.

So was he on the phone to Logan/Dooher this morning to check which team they wanted to win? Jesus wept.

No he doesn't have to be but he shouldn't be in a position where anyone could have that complaint. There was no need for it. I notice that all neutral venues used last week and for Kildare were from counties not involved in the All Ireland series. I understood the reason for that was to avoid suggestions that counties may benefit from playing somewhere twice. Why does the same not apply.
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

Gael85

David McKeown

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on June 25, 2023, 04:54:45 PM
Would the hand trip not been accidental, I thought he was going down on the ball and Maher kicked through it, and he then tapped the ankle.

It didn't look accidental to me but if it was accidental then why yellow?

joemamas

Quote from: thewobbler on June 25, 2023, 04:44:52 PM
Mad game of football.

Galway similar to Roscommon yesterday. Too much interest in systems, shapes and damage protection. A lack of positive intent and it cost them dearly.

Mayo looked like they were going to motor ahead 10 mins into second half but they fell victim to the same fear of losing. That and getting destroyed at midfield.

No matter who Mayo draw next they need Ruane back. Galway probably bigger than any team they might face in a QF, but I don't think I've ever seen a Mayo team so comprehensively slaughtered at midfield. They also need do put Eoin McLaughlin on ice somewhere. He seems like a genuinely brilliant lad, but he's the living embodiment of Donal Vaughan and Mayo don't need that self exploding disadvantage going to Croke Park.

In the first half you mean

Gael85

Was Ruane carrying an injury? Will surely start the next day.

WhoDat

Quote from: Gael85 on June 25, 2023, 05:20:12 PM
Was Ruane carrying an injury? Will surely start the next day.

he hasn't had a great year to be honest so wouldn't be surprised if he was just dropped. he's a terrible fielder of a ball.

square_ball

Quote from: David McKeown on June 25, 2023, 05:12:53 PM

Did you think so?  I thought he was inconsistent and didn't apply the rules. Two clear black cards he gave yellows for (the hand trip and the dissent). Also when his own county can be impacted by the result in the next round he shouldn't have been refereeing.

So was he on the phone to Logan/Dooher this morning to check which team they wanted to win? Jesus wept.

No he doesn't have to be but he shouldn't be in a position where anyone could have that complaint. There was no need for it. I notice that all neutral venues used last week and for Kildare were from counties not involved in the All Ireland series. I understood the reason for that was to avoid suggestions that counties may benefit from playing somewhere twice. Why does the same not apply.

So talk me through the various scenarios where Tyrone would be impacted by the result today? I could understand it if they could face one or Mayo or Galway but they can't.

An Fhairche Abu

Quote from: seafoid on June 21, 2023, 01:10:26 PM
Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on June 21, 2023, 09:14:09 AM
Quote from: cornetto on June 21, 2023, 07:22:56 AM
Galway trained in pearse stadium last night Tuesday, was only looking through the gate but no sign of the injured players and Shane Walsh did not participate in the training but was on the sideline.😳
Would not be surprised to find out when Galway exit that there is something off injury wise with Walsh, not taking any frees/45s off the ground in warm ups or during games is a huge red flag at the minute.
I think it's unrealistic to expect miracle turnarounds on injuries giving that you are taking days and not weeks in this championship format, the consequence of not having the week break to better facilitate getting players back on the pitch for a knock out match is huge.
Personally I think it's highly unlikely that Galway will have enough to beat Mayo with those key players out and Walsh out of form, probably couldn't pick two lads it would be worse to be without than Kelly and Comer to be honest, but they will have to go with whoever is fit and it's up to them to take their chance and show that they can win a match for their county, if they aren't good enough then so be it but go down swinging at least.

Quote from: Redhand Santa on June 21, 2023, 08:03:39 AM
Quote from: From the Bunker on June 20, 2023, 10:13:20 PM
Quote from: Captain Obvious on June 20, 2023, 06:39:01 PM
Won't get many more "real" and drama weekends in this championship than last weekend.   Mayo v Cork,Kildare v Roscommon,Donegal v Monaghan, Westmeath v Tyrone and Galway v Armagh producing unexpected results according by the bookie odds and their pundits.

Did any of the teams on the wrong side of each result, get knocked out of the Championship?

Did the winning teams have more to play for?

Do you consider that real championship?

They didn't get knocked out but in hindsight the Mayo and Galway games were huge at the weekend. Winnable games that should have saw them progress to the quarter finals.

Now they are faced with a really difficult knockout game and a tough quarter final the week after.  They've both significantly reduced their All Ireland chances.

There has been plenty of meaningless games during the year, the ones on Sunday were far from it.
Agree completely with this, I was fuming leaving Carrick on Shannon Sunday, I felt that whatever chance Galway had of getting back to the final had been lost for the year.
The bar for both Galway and Mayo was making a semi-final this year and seeing where it might go from there. Both have made it far harder than it could, and should, have been. The ask has gone from winning one match against a team coming in for their 3rd week on week game (remember that they changed the Munster and Leinster hurling round robin structure to avoid any team having to play 3 weeks in a row because those teams were all underperforming and getting pasted in the 3rd game) to having to beat another Division 1 team that was in this year's league final and then beating a rested Derry, Dublin, Kerry or Armagh. Just to even get to the semi-final. Those games last weekend were huge.

Par for the course, AFA. Imagine Statler and Waldorf in maroon jerseys  transported to Pearse Stadium. At least you are consistent.
This is a huge challenge for Galway but if they get over it the path is clear. I wouldn't write them off on the basis of last Sunday. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NpYEJx7PkWE

Is that Seafoid guy ever right?
No but his name let's you know ahead of time!

Season ended last week as was obvious to anyone, not going to win matches with lads injured and having to tog out playing due to some do or die game that we shouldn't even have been playing in. Chances like last year are hard to get for Galway, no need to make anything more difficult in terms of getting back.
If Shane Walsh isn't carrying some form of injury then he needs to take some time to consider where his head is at, his missed frees have put Galway out of the championship, today and last week. Not kicking anything off the deck into that wind was bananas unless he just can't do it.

Galway made a bags of a great position in the group, the danger was always there when the feet weren't up this weekend. Even if we somehow scraped through there then would have been beaten next week given the direction of travel and the lads out, feel bad for Kelly having to go out there today and clearly nowhere near fit.
Goal was always going to be the key score, Mayo finished their chance and Galway didn't, sin é.

I don't think there's a Sam in that Mayo team either but if they get a good draw you wouldn't write them off going on a run, have the pace for CP anyway.

larryin89

Have to laugh when Mayo pull a big victory off , the revert to "there's no all Ireland in Mayo " by the opposing supporters is ridiculous. We just knocked ye out of the championship for goodness sake

Well I tell ya this much we'd win an all Ireland if we had to play your lot in the final .2019, 2020 , 2021, 2023 and some still say the tide has turned out west .
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

An Fhairche Abu

Well I didn't think there was one in Galway looking at that performance and there was f**k all in that match, didn't see some seismic brilliance in Mayo today but also said I wouldn't write them off going on a run in CP either, which you chose to ignore of course.
I'd say best of luck to Mayo but I wouldn't mean a bit of it.

From the Bunker

There is one thing you can't take for granted and that is building on a good previous year.
There is a lot of luck involved in getting to an AI final.
Galway have been as good, if not better than Mayo in their last two encounters.
But they have looked laboured and disjointed in trying to put Mayo to the sword.

Mayo are where they always end up, They know how to consistently get to these places.
But falter when the proper deal should be done.

Luck in needed in the quarter-final draw for Mayo progress further.

David McKeown

Quote from: square_ball on June 25, 2023, 05:30:01 PM
Quote from: David McKeown on June 25, 2023, 05:12:53 PM

So talk me through the various scenarios where Tyrone would be impacted by the result today? I could understand it if they could face one or Mayo or Galway but they can't.

Well the odds now make it that Tyrone have a 50% of playing Kerry. Had Galway won then Tyrone would have had a 33.3% of playing Kerry. I could go through all the permutations if you like but the point is that the result of this game directly impacted on the chances for all other counties as to who they could draw.

WhoDat

Quote from: From the Bunker on June 25, 2023, 06:27:19 PM
There is one thing you can't take for granted and that is building on a good previous year.
There is a lot of luck involved in getting to an AI final.
Galway have been as good, if not better than Mayo in their last two encounters.
But they have looked laboured and disjointed in trying to put Mayo to the sword.

Mayo are where they always end up, They know how to consistently get to these places.
But falter when the proper deal should be done.

Luck in needed in the quarter-final draw for Mayo progress further.

mayo were the better team in the league final, no doubt.