Galway v Mayo, Preliminary Quarter-Final, Pearse Stadium 3pm Sunday

Started by An Fhairche Abu, June 20, 2023, 01:09:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rossfan

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: Rossfan on June 22, 2023, 05:56:21 PM
Home "advantage " doesn't really exist in Connacht.

Definitely not. I'd say Galway probably have a better record in Castlebar and The Hyde than they do in Salthill.

seafoid

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on June 22, 2023, 06:07:41 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on June 22, 2023, 05:56:21 PM
Home "advantage " doesn't really exist in Connacht.

Definitely not. I'd say Galway probably have a better record in Castlebar and The Hyde than they do in Salthill.
Tuam was different
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Blowitupref

Sean Kelly,Damien Comer named to start remains to be seen if they'll play.

Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

larryin89

I really don't understand the fuss over Sean Kelly all week , it was a bit of a contact injury , I certainly knew he would be available . Comer is not even injured.
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

galwayman

Quote from: larryin89 on June 23, 2023, 06:29:46 AM
I really don't understand the fuss over Sean Kelly all week , it was a bit of a contact injury , I certainly knew he would be available . Comer is not even injured.
Stop talking shite like a good lad.

larryin89

Quote from: galwayman on June 23, 2023, 06:35:47 AM

Excuse me ?whats shite about stating he is available when he is or are you going to persist with personal insults ?

galwayman

Quote from: larryin89 on June 23, 2023, 06:41:27 AM
Quote from: galwayman on June 23, 2023, 06:35:47 AM

Excuse me ?whats shite about stating he is available when he is or are you going to persist with personal insults ?
How do you know he's available chief?
You just stated he's not even injured when he clearly has been.
We only togged 24 players last week ffs.
Kelly also clearly picked up an injury last week.
You have no idea whether either of them will play or not (and nor do I) so I repeat quit the shite talk

seafoid

Mayo psy ops
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

larryin89

How do I know ? For a starter both are named .
Sean Kelly played last week and went off with an impact/contact injury that has came from several reports including Barry cullinane on mayo news podcast last night .
All indications are Damien comer has been rested with a view to the knockout stages , all evidence points to he was good to go last week bar a bit of a fook up with paper work .

So I larryin89 of sane mind will confidently make an assessment of all available evidence and say both will be part of the Galway team on Sunday . Now if you think that is talking shite that's your opinion which you are entitled to but I beg to differ .

galwayman

Quote from: larryin89 on June 23, 2023, 07:18:20 AM
Sean Kelly played last week and went off with an impact/contact injury that has came from several reports including Barry cullinane on mayo news podcast last night .
All indications are Damien comer has been rested with a view to the knockout stages , all evidence points to he was good to go last week bar a bit of a fook up with paper work .

So I larryin89 of sane mind will confidently make an assessment of all available evidence and say both will be part of the Galway team on Sunday . Now if you think that is talking shite that's your opinion which you are entitled to but I beg to differ .
Absolute bullshit. That is a complete lie re Comer

An Fhairche Abu

Quote from: larryin89 on June 23, 2023, 07:18:20 AM

Just one thing to clarify from last week as it seems to keep getting mixed up and as I've seen numerous people say that Comer would have played only for a medical note delay. McHugh or Comer could have played against Armagh, but after the team sheet was submitted Thursday morning, they picked up what sounds like hamstring strains at that Thursday evening training. Galway management obviously wanted to give them as much time as possible to potentially recover but then made a bags of getting the doctor statement to say they were unfit to play submitted in time so that they could be replaced in the squad by two of the named standby players when they didn't recover. Galway then played with a squad of 24 players against Armagh.
There was no need to do anything with medical notes or paperwork to allow them to play last Sunday. Nothing. Given the nature of the game and how it played out, I would suggest that if Comer had been able to play even ten minutes then we would have seen him substituted in before the likes of O Curraoin who hasn't played a second for Galway seniors.
I've no doubt beforehand that the thought process was not to risk him in a non knock out game with any strain and if Walsh kicks that free for a finish then it would have been fine. If there was any potential for him to play last weekend given how things panned out on the day then we'd have seen a late appearance to try and secure a draw at least and there was nothing paperwork related that stopped that.

If that Galway team starts at named and they are all fit to play then we have a really good chance of a positive result so fingers crossed it does, there's been late changes to the named team in both of the last two matches though. We've heard conflicting reports on player availability, realistically unless people are in IC setups you won't know 100% until the day, very little gets out these days.

One question for this match is will Mayo continue to persist with Loftus in defence?

larryin89

Shur we shall wait and see , why wouldn't Sean Kelly play though if only a knock , doesn't strike me as a lad who'd be whinging about a bit of bruising .

Loftus will of course play in defence , mcstay has hung his hat on that one and can't see him admitting to it not working out in the potential last game of the year . My main concern is cillian tbh . We might need something left side to win this , Paddy Durcan in ff give Sean kelly something to think about , when you're thinking things like such as a supporter ya know it's not going right . It reminds me of days going in against Kerry, what will we do with donaghy , who will take gooch . It's a loser mindset we are putting too much emphasis on nullifying the opposition cause in reality we probably don't have the talent they do .

As it gets closer the confidence is starting to dwindle , will travel in hope rather than expectation.

An Fhairche Abu

Mayo tend to play best when the safety net is gone, we've seen inferior Galway teams manage to beat Mayo and vice versa.
Either team could win and it should be a close game if everyone shows up. How both contrived to ruin such strong positions at the top of their groups, ending up having to play each other at this stage before even the last 8 is the real problem for both.