It's a bit like 95-99
Sudden death
Galway or Mayo
2 good teams capable of getting to the semi final  and beyond
But only one can proceed
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

bennydorano

Quote from: seafoid on June 20, 2023, 03:03:08 PM
Whoever wins this will have had a kick in the hole followed by an analysis of weaknesses followed by a win. That will probably stand to them more than a weekend off.
In the qualifier years yes, in the current set up, I don't think so.

Hammy injuries are the worst to try and manage, no way Comer is 100% for this weekend but I still think Galway win. Mayo went from a team in transition back to AI contenders in the blink of an eye, I dont see it myself. Being Championship fit for the league may have glossed over the weaknesses. Still capable of winning this obviously.

From the Bunker

The three Connacht Counties got a hefty kick in their respective holes on the weekend.
Mayo thought they had only to fall over the line after beating Kerry.
Galway probably thought the same.

Given how both were positioned last week the loser of this will feel a right mug Sunday evening.

AustinPowers

galwayman

galwayman

Without Comer (and I mean a fit Comer not a half fit version thrown in which has never worked in the past) - we are goosed.

larryin89

Quote from: galwayman on June 20, 2023, 04:46:04 PM
Quote from: larryin89 on June 20, 2023, 02:41:11 PM
Both comer and Kelly will line out Sunday , sin e .
Well you would say that wouldn't ya
[/quote

I'm only going by what John divily told me this morning . Perhaps he was telling lies I dunno
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

seafoid

Quote from: galwayman on June 20, 2023, 04:48:54 PM
Without Comer (and I mean a fit Comer not a half fit version thrown in which has never worked in the past) - we are goosed.
Slowing them down is kryptonite for Mayo. Forwards need to improve productivity if Damo is out. It could buy him another week.

From the Bunker

Anyway, thank god the Tippy- Tappy stuff is over.
We have been at this recycling since Sunday April 9th and god has it dragged on.
Every result up to this has had relatively no consequence.
On Sunday one or the other will be out and there will be no more B*llshit speculating about that losing team.
The Arse has been worn out of this multiple chance championship.

Looking forward to a real game.

seafoid

Quote from: bennydorano on June 20, 2023, 04:26:02 PM
Quote from: seafoid on June 20, 2023, 03:03:08 PM
Whoever wins this will have had a kick in the hole followed by an analysis of weaknesses followed by a win. That will probably stand to them more than a weekend off.
In the qualifier years yes, in the current set up, I don't think so.

Hammy injuries are the worst to try and manage, no way Comer is 100% for this weekend but I still think Galway win. Mayo went from a team in transition back to AI contenders in the blink of an eye, I dont see it myself. Being Championship fit for the league may have glossed over the weaknesses. Still capable of winning this obviously.
We don't have past data to tell us what 3 weekends in a row mean or what percentage of first seeds win their quarterfinals or whether momentum is superior to rest.

Captain Obvious

Won't get many more "real" and drama weekends in this championship than last weekend.   Mayo v Cork,Kildare v Roscommon,Donegal v Monaghan, Westmeath v Tyrone and Galway v Armagh producing unexpected results according by the bookie odds and their pundits.

The winner of this game will be back on the horse however not topping their groups from promising positions will make reaching the All Ireland semi final all the more difficult now and All Ireland semi final I'm sure was bare minimum target for the year for both Galway and Mayo.

From the Bunker

Quote from: Captain Obvious on June 20, 2023, 06:39:01 PM
Won't get many more "real" and drama weekends in this championship than last weekend.   Mayo v Cork,Kildare v Roscommon,Donegal v Monaghan, Westmeath v Tyrone and Galway v Armagh producing unexpected results according by the bookie odds and their pundits.

Did any of the teams on the wrong side of each result, get knocked out of the Championship?

Did the winning teams have more to play for?

Do you consider that real championship?

thewobbler

This one does have the feeling that an injury/knock or two will be the decisive factor. Mayo would seem to have been trying to nurse a handful of players all season in readiness for the knockout stages. Galway's powerful core would seem to be hanging by a thread.

If it turns into all-out warfare for 70 mins, neither team will have much to give the following weekend.

Gotta live championship football.

Captain Obvious

Quote from: From the Bunker on June 20, 2023, 10:13:20 PM
Quote from: Captain Obvious on June 20, 2023, 06:39:01 PM

Did any of the teams on the wrong side of each result, get knocked out of the Championship?

Did the winning teams have more to play for?

Do you consider that real championship?
In Armagh case have a better opportunity of reaching a rare All Ireland semi final than they would if finished 2nd or 3rd in the group.

Same can be said about provincial championship since 2001 however even this year produced some good games.  What any supporter wanted to see in the group stages was teams going hammer and tongs. Everything you want to see from any championship match is that it's played with an edge, hunger, desire, passion and both sides having a focus on the now than what's to come and all of that was seen in all of the games I've named last weekend.

Four games this weekend that are knock out will do well to match the drama.

cornetto

Galway trained in pearse stadium last night Tuesday, was only looking through the gate but no sign of the injured players and Shane Walsh did not participate in the training but was on the sideline.😳