Kerry v Galway, All-Ireland Senior Football Final. 24 July, 2022

Started by IolarCoisCuain, July 11, 2022, 10:56:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eire90

That is 3 different winners in 3 years i hope another different team wins it next year  its no good having the sam macgure cup just recycle between  2 or 3 teams it very to hard to see beyond kerry again next year tho.

mouview

Quote from: galwayman on July 25, 2022, 03:59:41 PM
Quote from: seafoid on July 25, 2022, 02:23:59 PM
Quote from: yellowcard on July 25, 2022, 11:55:42 AM
Quote from: Gmac on July 25, 2022, 11:50:22 AM
Kerry finished the game playing like Galway started and Galway finished the game playing like Kerry started , subs for Kerry the difference, neither forward line looked very dangerous except for big 2
Galway badly needed some subs in defense near the end .
Good game of football.

I noticed in some of the earlier matches that Galway didn't use many players off the bench, maybe they simply don't have the squad depth yet. Conroy was very poor by his own standards yesterday but I was still surprised to see him coming off for the last 10 minutes or so. If they can add 2 or 3 new players during the League they will still be a threat again next year.
Squad depth is the biggest issue for Galway I think. They need better subs.
I was looking at Tyrone and Kerry who both won after losing an all Ireland

Tyrone lost in 2018. Of that starting team , 8 started the 2021 final with 5 new players and 2 subs from 2018. There were 3 experienced players from 2018 as subs.
Kerry lost in 2019. Of that starting team, 12 started yesterday with 3 new players and 3 experienced players from 2019 as subs.
You said before the game that we had the better bench. Serious question - do you actually go and watch Galway games or club football games in the county? I've no idea in the world how you could make that statement looking at our bench vs Kerry's.
There was no comparison.

Rather like the hurling semi-final v Limerick, the winners' bench really had only one player who actually made a significant impact, in this case Killian Spillane. For sure, Galway subs made minimal difference yesterday, but this was because they were mainly introduced too late, when momentum had already turned against them. If the Galway HF line had been better yesterday, it would have made it easier for the subs being introduced. I would have subbed Heaney last of the trio as he was the most experienced.

mad tan

Thought the Galway Goalkeeper lacked confidence and give away 2 frees that were pointed. If Cluxton was between the sticks for Galway Sam would be at the Races this evening. 

blanketattack

Quote from: mouview on July 25, 2022, 04:49:34 PM
Quote from: galwayman on July 25, 2022, 03:59:41 PM
Quote from: seafoid on July 25, 2022, 02:23:59 PM
Quote from: yellowcard on July 25, 2022, 11:55:42 AM
Quote from: Gmac on July 25, 2022, 11:50:22 AM
Kerry finished the game playing like Galway started and Galway finished the game playing like Kerry started , subs for Kerry the difference, neither forward line looked very dangerous except for big 2
Galway badly needed some subs in defense near the end .
Good game of football.

I noticed in some of the earlier matches that Galway didn't use many players off the bench, maybe they simply don't have the squad depth yet. Conroy was very poor by his own standards yesterday but I was still surprised to see him coming off for the last 10 minutes or so. If they can add 2 or 3 new players during the League they will still be a threat again next year.
Squad depth is the biggest issue for Galway I think. They need better subs.
I was looking at Tyrone and Kerry who both won after losing an all Ireland

Tyrone lost in 2018. Of that starting team , 8 started the 2021 final with 5 new players and 2 subs from 2018. There were 3 experienced players from 2018 as subs.
Kerry lost in 2019. Of that starting team, 12 started yesterday with 3 new players and 3 experienced players from 2019 as subs.
You said before the game that we had the better bench. Serious question - do you actually go and watch Galway games or club football games in the county? I've no idea in the world how you could make that statement looking at our bench vs Kerry's.
There was no comparison.

Rather like the hurling semi-final v Limerick, the winners' bench really had only one player who actually made a significant impact, in this case Killian Spillane. For sure, Galway subs made minimal difference yesterday, but this was because they were mainly introduced too late, when momentum had already turned against them. If the Galway HF line had been better yesterday, it would have made it easier for the subs being introduced. I would have subbed Heaney last of the trio as he was the most experienced.

Burns played really well also

Maroon Manc

Watched it again last night, such a crucial decision at 16 each to give the free against Daly; Spillane clearly left the hand in for far too long. How crucial that decision was we'll never know but Galway had just hit the last 2 scores with only minutes remaining and Comers turnover had given the Galway crowd great energy.

Galway needed to go in 3 or 4 points ahead at half time after that 1st half but unfortunately didn't win enough primary possession and there was some daft handpasses from Kelly & Heaney to give crucial ball away. Heaney needed to go low for his goal chance, Heaney has a great goal record for Galway and doesn't miss too often. There were a couple of times when Kelly was been marked by White at the edge of the square and the ball needed to go in but didn't, a big mismatch in size there. On a few occasions when they tried it the ball was either over or under hit.

McDaid may have been lucky to win a free for that shoulder but equally you can look at Kerrys first point from a free where O'Connor got away with a lot of steps and thought Clifford got a very soft one off Glynn in the 2nd half. I know Galway got away with 2 bounces for their 11th point but that was a full minute before the ball went over the bar. As for Kerry's 18th point Spillane took 10 steps before bouncing the ball, a joke of a score and ultimately killed Galway.

At 15 – 14 to Kerry Galway won a kickout and were in on goal had Tierney gone left instead of right with the handpass and even when McDaid went for his shot if he'd popped it inside Galway had a 3 on 1. Think most of us though Galway always needed the goal to win. Another big moment when Galway were 14-12 ahead and Molloy had turned over O'Brien but McDaid gave a woeful ball to Walsh and Kerry went down and hit a score within 30 seconds. Just felt like a big moment if Galway could have gone 3 ahead.

Galway had scored 14 points by 45 minutes which is fantastic going but couldn't sustain it and only scored 2 in the remaining 30 minutes, this Kerry team have been on the road a lot longer and showed in the closing stages although Galway did really well to get back level with just 5 minutes remaining and we'll never know what would have happened had that free not gone against Daly. Comer was well watched, never left all alone with Foley on the edge of the square, Morley always their to cover. He should have spent more time around the 45 to get him into it.

The bench was always going to be an issue, nothing on it too change the direction of the match just players to protect the lead. Perhaps there's more in Eoin Finnerty and Conneely but we've yet to see it yet. Next year we need to find a few more lads or see the return of Cooke & Michael Daly and hope McLaughlin can kick on after injury. I'd like to think the likes of Cathal Sweeney will improve as he looked a superstar as a minor, Culhane another one, stood out a mile as an 18 year old in the u20 final win against Dublin 2 years ago.

I see Ray Silke has said Liam is away to NZ next year for 12 months, would be a big blow as he's finally found his feet at this level and turned into the player we'd all hoped he would. Getting Sean Kelly out of full back would improve the team going forward but not sure we can do without him back there.

Shane Walsh & McDaid have showed the country what their both capable of now, just need to do that consistency and in McDaid's case just stay fit. Tierney & Patrick Kelly are still both 21 so hopefully plenty of improvement left in them too.

But we had a year none of us were expecting and had some great days out that we'd not had in over 20 years and the pride has been put back into Galway football, lets hope they can hang around the next few years; Don't see any reason why not as long as the likes of Cian O'Neill remain involved. 

seafoid

Quote from: Maroon Manc on July 26, 2022, 01:41:08 PM
Watched it again last night, such a crucial decision at 16 each to give the free against Daly; Spillane clearly left the hand in for far too long. How crucial that decision was we'll never know but Galway had just hit the last 2 scores with only minutes remaining and Comers turnover had given the Galway crowd great energy.

Galway needed to go in 3 or 4 points ahead at half time after that 1st half but unfortunately didn't win enough primary possession and there was some daft handpasses from Kelly & Heaney to give crucial ball away. Heaney needed to go low for his goal chance, Heaney has a great goal record for Galway and doesn't miss too often. There were a couple of times when Kelly was been marked by White at the edge of the square and the ball needed to go in but didn't, a big mismatch in size there. On a few occasions when they tried it the ball was either over or under hit.

McDaid may have been lucky to win a free for that shoulder but equally you can look at Kerrys first point from a free where O'Connor got away with a lot of steps and thought Clifford got a very soft one off Glynn in the 2nd half. I know Galway got away with 2 bounces for their 11th point but that was a full minute before the ball went over the bar. As for Kerry's 18th point Spillane took 10 steps before bouncing the ball, a joke of a score and ultimately killed Galway.

At 15 – 14 to Kerry Galway won a kickout and were in on goal had Tierney gone left instead of right with the handpass and even when McDaid went for his shot if he'd popped it inside Galway had a 3 on 1. Think most of us though Galway always needed the goal to win. Another big moment when Galway were 14-12 ahead and Molloy had turned over O'Brien but McDaid gave a woeful ball to Walsh and Kerry went down and hit a score within 30 seconds. Just felt like a big moment if Galway could have gone 3 ahead.

Galway had scored 14 points by 45 minutes which is fantastic going but couldn't sustain it and only scored 2 in the remaining 30 minutes, this Kerry team have been on the road a lot longer and showed in the closing stages although Galway did really well to get back level with just 5 minutes remaining and we'll never know what would have happened had that free not gone against Daly. Comer was well watched, never left all alone with Foley on the edge of the square, Morley always their to cover. He should have spent more time around the 45 to get him into it.

The bench was always going to be an issue, nothing on it too change the direction of the match just players to protect the lead. Perhaps there's more in Eoin Finnerty and Conneely but we've yet to see it yet. Next year we need to find a few more lads or see the return of Cooke & Michael Daly and hope McLaughlin can kick on after injury. I'd like to think the likes of Cathal Sweeney will improve as he looked a superstar as a minor, Culhane another one, stood out a mile as an 18 year old in the u20 final win against Dublin 2 years ago.

I see Ray Silke has said Liam is away to NZ next year for 12 months, would be a big blow as he's finally found his feet at this level and turned into the player we'd all hoped he would. Getting Sean Kelly out of full back would improve the team going forward but not sure we can do without him back there.

Shane Walsh & McDaid have showed the country what their both capable of now, just need to do that consistency and in McDaid's case just stay fit. Tierney & Patrick Kelly are still both 21 so hopefully plenty of improvement left in them too.

But we had a year none of us were expecting and had some great days out that we'd not had in over 20 years and the pride has been put back into Galway football, lets hope they can hang around the next few years; Don't see any reason why not as long as the likes of Cian O'Neill remain involved.

https://youtu.be/n6EjSIfkIxg
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

An Fhairche Abu

Quote from: Maroon Manc on July 26, 2022, 01:41:08 PM

Would agree with a lot of that in fairness and repeat some of that assessment in my own two cents below.

Congratulations to Kerry on their 38th title, the better squad with more experience deservedly won the match in the end although Galway will have huge regrets.
This has been a good year for Galway football outside of the final day and certainly the best since the 98-01 years although in fairness there is slim pickings besides it. Whether Galway can come back from this bitter disappointment and get a further step along the line is the next question, I think it will be tough, but the challenge is there now.

I always felt that Galway needed to get a goal without conceding one to win the final, Heaney's goal chance was one that got away, it was a sublime ball in from Daly that deserved a finish to the net. The overlap that should have led to a goal chance in the 2nd half but instead finished in McDaid's first wide was crucial, we had very little opportunity to get a numerical advantage going towards Kerry's goal and one handpass from Tierney to his left would have put Galway four on two with wide open space in front of Ryan, it would have been hard not to see an overlap tap in goal from there. Not executing those, along with the poor handpasses and kicks that led to squandered possession really hindered Galway.

Enough has been said about Shane Walsh since Sunday, he turned up and gave a player of the match worthy performance, given the stakes involved it was football of the first rate, he will likely never play a better game for Galway. Hopefully we will never have to see the phrase "show pony" used by certain people from certain parts of the country again. McDaid has been one of the difference makers this year, he's built for CP and is delivering on the athletic potential that took him to Aussies Rules previously.

Paul Conroy had a generally excellent year for Galway but unfortunately had his worst outing of 2023 in the final. One hospital kick pass in the second half which should have just been easily fisted to his colleague and resulted in a turnover was symptomatic of his issues. The argument has been made that it was pointless to sub him when there wasn't anything better to come on but I can see why the change was made, it wasn't his day.

Galway did a lot right to be fair, Sean O'Shea was wiped by Silke, I thought Glynn did really well on Paudie Clifford until he faded late, the entire HB line played well and had all time performances from McDaid and Walsh...but we still didn't get the job done.

Kerry had a plan for Comer that they executed perfectly, they essentially said "this guy is going to have Foley on his hip all the time with close cover in front, if you beat us with your other lads best of luck to you." The other lads outside of Walsh did not perform well enough to do so and Comer wasn't seen until he moved way further out the pitch. Finnerty was well marshalled by one of Kerry's standout performers on the day, he will want to forget his final and semi-final games although I thought he was at least involved a bit in the first half, no shots at the posts though and his value to the team is chipping in with a few scores in a match. Tierney and Patrick Kelly were involved in general play to a better extent but didn't get a sniff of a shot. Some of this was down to lack of ball going in and poor execution but in an AI final you have to leave your own mark, Galway got 13 points from two players and 0-2 from the defence, we only needed 5 points from Conroy and the FF/HF lines to get to the magic 20 point mark, we didn't get it. The subs bench had one lad who contributed to the other games, O Laoi. I nearly fell out of my seat when I saw Eoin Finnerty, who hadn't played a minute of championship and barely a minute in the league, entering the fray.

The fall from grace of Paul Kelly since the league is baffling, his form must have fallen off a cliff in training. When you needed legs, athleticism and someone who can kick a point in the 2nd half, he would be someone that would have fitted all those categories I thought. Hasn't been used at all though and I suppose PJ and the backroom team are seeing these lads all the time.

I thought Kerry were nervy enough in the first half, started two lads in Geaney and Moran whose IC careers look cooked, it was an advantage that Galway didn't make enough use of, realistically Kerry started the 2nd half with a better team than what they had in the parade. If Galway hadn't been so poor from both kick outs in the first half then we would have been in a great position at half time, Clifford kept Kerry going in the first half. Really thinking about it, Galway losing the majority of both kickouts during the first 20 minutes when Kerry were edgy and kicking bad wides, was ultimately the losing of the match, if a strong lead had been gained at that time then who knows.

Lot of talk about the free in against John Daly, it's pointless blaming the loss of the match on the referee for the call at 16 points each, but that is only because there was so much wrong with Galway's own performance that cost us the match. Joyce was right to come out afterwards about it, if the shoe was on the other foot and Galway had sneaked over the line after going 17-16 up from the same call at the other end, the complaints from the Kerry media mafia would have been loud and pointed. Rightly or wrongly you just don't see those type of frees given in an AI final. As I said here pre-match regarding the referee and the need to be strong in the match when the narrative is that Kerry should win easy because that is just the "natural order" of it, "that type of subconscious bias is where the big teams tend to get the 50/50 calls across all sports" and it's something that outsiders or unheralded teams just have to deal with, if Galway did the same amount of cynical fouling after turnovers that Kerry did the last day I guarantee we would not have finished with fifteen men on the pitch. To beat the likes of Kerry or Dublin by a single point in a match you need to be at least a three to four points better team on the day, Galway unfortunately didn't have enough lads show up front to get ourselves into that type of a position in the second half. To reiterate though, the ref did not cost us the match on Sunday, it's one of those things that champion teams overcome.

Kerry might kick on and become a great team that will dominate now that the pressure is off and they have the AI medals in the back pocket. With Clifford up front I could see that happening as you just need a reasonably decent supporting cast that can get him the ball, he is that good. I could see them as a top team that doesn't utterly dominate as well. Kerry certainly weren't an all-conquering team yet last Sunday however, knowing that might be the best shot we will get to beat them is hard to take when you have to listen to the pat on the head stuff from some of their fans in the pubs afterwards, they had no fear of Galway before Sunday and will have even less now.

A positive year for Galway but it will be difficult to get back to the final again. Dublin aren't going anywhere, they don't lose AI finals and Galway cannot beat them in championship anyway. Mayo with Conroy and O'Donoghue back will be a serious prospect again, I don't buy that they are finished (caveat is that Keegan continues and maintains his greatness). Tyrone will have finished up their traditional post AI year off. Armagh will surely push on next year and become a really good team. I don't know whether Derry can evolve from this year's iteration but I wouldn't write it off, if they get a decent lead up on any team they are dangerous as is. And of course, Kerry are champions again looking to kick on to greater heights, the standard there is multiple team wins of the canister. Clifford is still so young and Jack O'Connor will be aiming for the only thing not on his CV, back-to-back AI's.

Galway squad depth was shown up as a problem during the championship, unfortunately instead of adding players to the squad Galway will be losing some key players and not as a result of injury. Already been confirmed that Liam Silke - after an excellent final performance and what was by a distance his best year in a Galway jersey - will be unavailable in 2023, I've slated him before for not bringing his Corofin form into the county team but full credit for 2022, excellent. Strong rumours that he is not the only starter who will gone for the next year, hard to credit that 20% of that starting team won't be there next year. It's these departures which only put us back to square one in terms of squad building and competition for starting jerseys. It adds further to the regret about Sunday, hard to see Galway improving when lads are heading for the exit door.

Ultimately only time will tell if Sunday was another steppingstone along the way to the redemption of Galway football with an AI final win, or if this was a once off golden opportunity that hasn't been taken. In fairness to the management and players, that there is such a sense of a missed chance to snag Sam last Sunday is testament to the big improvements and strides taken in 2022, I certainly did not see it coming.

From the Bunker

You don't get many chances to win an AI outside of Kerry/Dublin monopoly. Sunday was a missed opportunity for Galway. Dublin out of the way and a volatile Kerry group. Nothing is guaranteed for this Galway group. and the includes the minimum of Winning Connacht next year. I noticed Paul Conroy was the only Galway player not smiling coming onto the pitch at the homecoming in Pearce Stadium. He knows this. Many Galway players will have entered celebrity status this year. Players who were unknowns are now recognised on the street. How they deal with this will be a big factor. I'm not a big fan of homecomings for losing teams. Acknowledging a loss with fanfare can send out the wrong message and subliminally feel players can feel ok about losing and ''sure we did our best'' becomes the slogan and a theme.

Kerry players fear not going back with Sam Maguire and the talk after winning is that of Relief. Relief that they will be able to walk the streets in Kerry with their head held high.

JoG2

Quote from: From the Bunker on July 27, 2022, 06:01:54 PM
You don't get many chances to win an AI outside of Kerry/Dublin monopoly. Sunday was a missed opportunity for Galway. Dublin out of the way and a volatile Kerry group. Nothing is guaranteed for this Galway group. and the includes the minimum of Winning Connacht next year. I noticed Paul Conroy was the only Galway player not smiling coming onto the pitch at the homecoming in Pearce Stadium. He knows this. Many Galway players will have entered celebrity status this year. Players who were unknowns are now recognised on the street. How they deal with this will be a big factor. I'm not a big fan of homecomings for losing teams. Acknowledging a loss with fanfare can send out the wrong message and subliminally feel players can feel ok about losing and ''sure we did our best'' becomes the slogan and a theme.

Kerry players fear not going back with Sam Maguire and the talk after winning is that of Relief. Relief that they will be able to walk the streets in Kerry with their head held high.

From the Joe Brolly handbook ie respect and self worth only comes from winning.

From the Bunker

Quote from: JoG2 on July 27, 2022, 07:08:38 PM

From the Joe Brolly handbook ie respect and self worth only comes from winning.

I'm afraid that's from the Kerry Handbook. A very successful Handbook at that!

mouview

Once upon a time though, winning one AI medal for Kerry was no mark of distinction. I think that will be a big reset going forward.

Maroon Manc

I see Joyce has said he's confident he'll have Silke back for next year and they'll do whatever it takes to get him back, no mention of the other two but they probably had decided to go travelling long before the championship started, would imagine a run to the final will have changed their minds.

Silke had a year out in 2018 too, I've always been critical of him but thats probably because he's struggled with lads who've raw pace and he's been given the wrong matchup; Probably won't be far off an All Star as he's excelled this summer and had great games against some top forwards who aren't quick like McGuigan & O'Shea.

I'd like to think Peter Cooke & Michael Daly will commit next year, Daly I know hasn't set the world alight but as we can see from club football he's consistently one of the best players in Galway and talent wise is miles ahead of the likes of O'Laoi. Hopefully Culhane kicks on, he was the best forward on show as an 18 year old in the U20 final 2 years ago and was still u20 this year.

Homecomings for the losing team aren't great but its been 21 year since they were last in a final and it was mostly kids who are at it, from a marketing point of view it was a good idea given how crap Galways support they've got to do anything they can to help improve it.

inroundthesquare

Quote from: Eire90 on July 25, 2022, 04:20:49 PM
That is 3 different winners in 3 years i hope another different team wins it next year  its no good having the sam macgure cup just recycle between  2 or 3 teams it very to hard to see beyond kerry again next year tho.

90% of the last 20 All-Irelands have went to Dublin, Kerry & Tyrone

Rossfan

Have GONE >:(
Well over time for someone else to take Sam alright.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

inroundthesquare

Kerry 6/4
Dublin 3/1
Galway 10/1
Mayo 12/1
Tyrone 14/1
Derry 18/1
Armagh 20/1
Donegal 22/1
Monaghan 50/1