James Horan gone

Started by imtommygunn, June 27, 2022, 08:02:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Farrandeelin

Would the County board want McGuinness? Would he want the hassle? Can't see McStay after the 2015 debacle. Rochford would more than likely suffer with 'second coming syndrome'.

Whoever takes it on will be taking on a poisoned chalice, between having to be consistently being at the business end of the championship and winning Sam, and the replacements sadly aren't as good as what's gone before.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

TheMistro

Quote from: Farrandeelin on June 28, 2022, 10:14:37 AM
Would the County board want McGuinness? Would he want the hassle? Can't see McStay after the 2015 debacle. Rochford would more than likely suffer with 'second coming syndrome'.

Whoever takes it on will be taking on a poisoned chalice, between having to be consistently being at the business end of the championship and winning Sam, and the replacements sadly aren't as good as what's gone before.

It still a relatively young mayo team. McLoughlin, Keegan and O'Shea only lads over 30?,Horan has done a good job replacing majority of 2011-17 team.  The current minor team has some good prospects and will have a fully fit Tommy Conroy and Ryan O'Donoghue next year.

seafoid

Anthony Moyles really knows his football. Dunshaughlin manager and OTB analyst

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_Hv90YXsb8
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

highorlow

If Sean Deane's team will the AI minor then lets book him as manager for the Senior Team. That's my view.
They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

Blowitupref

Quote from: highorlow on June 28, 2022, 11:55:26 AM
If Sean Deane's team will the AI minor then lets book him as manager for the Senior Team. That's my view.

U17 a big step up to senior.  Mayo won the 2013 U18 All Ireland and was the then manager Enda Gilvarry even interviewed for the senior post?  Mike Solan led Mayo to the 2016 All Ireland U21 title Ruane,Coen,D O'Connor,Carr,Plunkett,Boland,Loftus was all on that team.

The update on the odds (where the money is going)

Ray Dempsey was 6/4 and now 11/10
Mike Solan 9/4 -- 7/2
Maurice Sheridan 4/1  -- 11/2
Jim McGuinness 4/1  -- 11/2
Sean Deane 10/1 -- 9/1
Kevin McStay 10/1 -- the same
Malachy O'Rourke 10/1 -- 12/1
Stephen Rochford 12/1 --- 8/1
Andy Moran 14/1 -- 10/1
Ciaran McDonald  20/1 -- the same
Kevin Johnson 20/1  -- the same
Colm Boyle 20/1 -- the same
Kevin O'Brien 25/1 - the same
John Maughan 33/1 - the same

Eamon Fitzmaurice added to the list at 16/1
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

seafoid

I don't think a manager from within the county is advisable. The knowledge required to win an all Ireland is outside the county. John O'Mahony didn't manage either 

Farrandeelin

Quote from: Blowitupref on June 28, 2022, 06:51:15 PM

U17 a big step up to senior.  Mayo won the 2013 U18 All Ireland and was the then manager Enda Gilvarry even interviewed for the senior post?  Mike Solan led Mayo to the 2016 All Ireland U21 title Ruane,Coen,D O'Connor,Carr,Plunkett,Boland,Loftus was all on that team.

Mike Solan 9/4 -- 7/2
Sean Deane 10/1 -- 9/1
Andy Moran 14/1 -- 10/1

I don't think Eamon Fitzmaurice would want it. Plus he's great at co-commentating so for that reason alone I hope he doesn't.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

rosnarun

there is an odd idea out there that unless a manager has not yet won an All-irelland  they should be Excluded from the process . which woulld rule out every manger ever at some point of their career .
when a team wins  it it always down to the manager ?
if it was  a choice would you pick john O mahony  over having micheal Donnelan P Joyce and Ja Fallon ,
McGuiness over a full forward line of Patrick McBrearty  Michael Murphy  Colm McFadden

Looking for premade success is just lazy mans ass covering thinking and what worked in one county will not necessarily work in anorher ,
I hope the county board Put in the work and Get the right Man for mayo, yes Man Some screwballs are shouting for Cora
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

Maroon Manc

Quote from: seafoid on June 28, 2022, 10:44:01 AM
Anthony Moyles really knows his football. Dunshaughlin manager and OTB analyst

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_Hv90YXsb8

Moyles is absolutely dreadful, talks so much guff.

Maroon Manc

Quote from: Farrandeelin on June 28, 2022, 10:14:37 AM

Having the right backroom team is equally as important as the manager. I suspect Dempsey will get the job but he's going to need a few in with him with experience of been around IC teams previously.

Wouldn't be surprised to see Mayo going close next season, Conroy & O'Donoghue are 2 of the best young forwards in the game and a new manager might get a tune of the younger O'Connor; His form has been very indifferent in recent years and he certainly doesn't look like he's enjoying it.

galwayman

Quote from: Farrandeelin on June 29, 2022, 08:58:06 AM
Quote from: Blowitupref on June 28, 2022, 06:51:15 PM

Mike Solan 9/4 -- 7/2
Sean Deane 10/1 -- 9/1
Andy Moran 14/1 -- 10/1

I don't think Eamon Fitzmaurice would want it. Plus he's great at co-commentating so for that reason alone I hope he doesn't.
Ray Dempsey be a good shout? Has done fantastically with Knockmore

seafoid

The Mayo CB need to define what the problem is first. A repeat of the last decade would be a waste of time

Shamrock Shore

The only min for the job

rosnarun

Quote from: seafoid on June 29, 2022, 10:25:46 AM
The Mayo CB need to define what the problem is first. A repeat of the last decade would be a waste of time
not nearly as much as the waste of the decades from 52 to Horans 1st appointment . with the exception of 89 we were not even nearly competitive and the assumption  that this is the new normal ie being in top 3 or 4 every year is naïve at best.
look at meath  cork Down and untill this year derry as example of team who went from contenders to nowhere for years
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

snoopdog

Quote from: rosnarun on June 29, 2022, 12:45:13 PM
Quote from: seafoid on June 29, 2022, 10:25:46 AM
not nearly as much as the waste of the decades from 52 to Horans 1st appointment . with the exception of 89 we were not even nearly competitive and the assumption  that this is the new normal ie being in top 3 or 4 every year is naïve at best.
look at meath  cork Down and untill this year derry as example of team who went from contenders to nowhere for years
True but as a Down man I'd rather have the memories of 91 and 94 than being nearly men.