Armagh v Galway AIQF

Started by tonto1888, June 13, 2022, 03:07:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RedHand88

There is absolutely nothing wrong with penalties. Anyone who expects players and fans to go to croke park 3 weekends in a row in the middle of a cost of living crisis forgets all the whinging there used to be about how expensive it was for families beforehand.
I feel like some people just do not want anything that comes from soccer in the GAA. Its anglophobia and belongs in the past.

Dreadnought

Quote from: Gael80 on June 27, 2022, 09:04:54 AM
Quote from: Dreadnought on June 27, 2022, 08:54:12 AM
Quote from: Gael80 on June 27, 2022, 08:41:44 AM
Quote from: Dreadnought on June 27, 2022, 08:25:14 AM

Where do you get the time for replays? Like honestly, where? Is it only for quarter finals onwards, what about provincials? Simply put, with the new calendar, we've no place. Sure, there's a weekend coming up next, but that's set for hurling, and if we did decide to throw in a replay, one team would be out 3 weekends in a row. And wasn't next weekend always set as a day off? What if the players had something organised, and would have to cancel and such. Look, penalties are harsh enough way, but we all knew before the season started that it was this way, no replays. We'll get used to it. It's better this way in the long run

I agree you make the rules at the start so yesterday had to be decided that way. However when the plan becomes reality and you see an epic game in the All Ireland series going that way, with players cramping up some common sense has to take over.

We are not soccer and these are not professional players, they give a huge commitment to their county and getting to the All Ireland series takes a lot of hard work. The All Ireland Final has replays, my point is this needs and I expect will be extended to at least one replay throughout the All Ireland series ( QF onwards).

The inter county season will have to be extended by a few weeks but from a marketing perspective this season's championships have been a disaster so I expect All Ireland Finals to be pushed back into August anyhow after a review so there is space.

Amateur players have every right to take up opportunities in America but it shows a lot will use the short season for this benefit other than return straight back to the clubs, obviously not every players does this but the numbers are high. This is unlikely to be lost on the GAA when they review the split season dates and that is another reason I think we'll see All Ireland Finals being played in August.

Replays are done, we've known about it this year and need to accept it. Yes, we're not soccer, but penalties have been a part of our game for ages now, so it's not like it's something not from the game. With the calendar we set out, and load on players, it's finish on the day and we just need to get with it. It's harsh, but we know our winners now. They tried other things and they didn't work as well

I guess at the minute replays are gone but it isn't a rule can never be reviewed again. We try things and review them which is the right thing to do.

There is a huge opinion out there this morning that deciding an All Ireland QF on penalties was wrong led by a football legend and Galway manager who won them yesterday.

It needs a review and in my opinion I fully expect they will be reviewed in the wider split season discussion. It is a football side of things people disagree with it on but from a business viewpoint the GAA lost at least 30,000 ticket sales depending on what venue would of been available, is this sustainable when the reason for the split season isn't having the planned effect ie inter county players immediately returning to their clubs earlier!

We're trying to find the perfect system and there will be some trial and error over the next few years with it, my guess is replays will be included throughout the All Ireland series going forward with space found to accommdate them.

We already tried frees from outside the D and other things. We need a winner, penalties are quick, and we got one. Can't see what's to review here, there's now no space in the calendar. All the other options people have offered or on TSG are far worse than the penalties. It's harsh like I say, but the best option overall when we have to finish on the day.

Gael80

Quote from: tiempo on June 27, 2022, 09:13:43 AM
Quote from: Gael80 on June 27, 2022, 09:04:54 AM
Quote from: Dreadnought on June 27, 2022, 08:54:12 AM
Quote from: Gael80 on June 27, 2022, 08:41:44 AM
Quote from: Dreadnought on June 27, 2022, 08:25:14 AM

Where do you get the time for replays? Like honestly, where? Is it only for quarter finals onwards, what about provincials? Simply put, with the new calendar, we've no place. Sure, there's a weekend coming up next, but that's set for hurling, and if we did decide to throw in a replay, one team would be out 3 weekends in a row. And wasn't next weekend always set as a day off? What if the players had something organised, and would have to cancel and such. Look, penalties are harsh enough way, but we all knew before the season started that it was this way, no replays. We'll get used to it. It's better this way in the long run

I agree you make the rules at the start so yesterday had to be decided that way. However when the plan becomes reality and you see an epic game in the All Ireland series going that way, with players cramping up some common sense has to take over.

We are not soccer and these are not professional players, they give a huge commitment to their county and getting to the All Ireland series takes a lot of hard work. The All Ireland Final has replays, my point is this needs and I expect will be extended to at least one replay throughout the All Ireland series ( QF onwards).

The inter county season will have to be extended by a few weeks but from a marketing perspective this season's championships have been a disaster so I expect All Ireland Finals to be pushed back into August anyhow after a review so there is space.

Amateur players have every right to take up opportunities in America but it shows a lot will use the short season for this benefit other than return straight back to the clubs, obviously not every players does this but the numbers are high. This is unlikely to be lost on the GAA when they review the split season dates and that is another reason I think we'll see All Ireland Finals being played in August.

Replays are done, we've known about it this year and need to accept it. Yes, we're not soccer, but penalties have been a part of our game for ages now, so it's not like it's something not from the game. With the calendar we set out, and load on players, it's finish on the day and we just need to get with it. It's harsh, but we know our winners now. They tried other things and they didn't work as well

I guess at the minute replays are gone but it isn't a rule can never be reviewed again. We try things and review them which is the right thing to do.

There is a huge opinion out there this morning that deciding an All Ireland QF on penalties was wrong led by a football legend and Galway manager who won them yesterday.

It needs a review and in my opinion I fully expect they will be reviewed in the wider split season discussion. It is a football side of things people disagree with it on but from a business viewpoint the GAA lost at least 30,000 ticket sales depending on what venue would of been available, is this sustainable when the reason for the split season isn't having the planned effect ie inter county players immediately returning to their clubs earlier!

We're trying to find the perfect system and there will be some trial and error over the next few years with it, my guess is replays will be included throughout the All Ireland series going forward with space found to accommdate them.

Impossible, penalties are a necessary evil, the days or replays are gone, for better and worse, times change, needs must

We'll agree to disagree, in the world of finance the GAA will listen to the likes of Joyce and the public opinion on using penalties, with pressure being applied from sponsors and media. We seen the reality of the plan yesterday and I expect some head scratching in Croke Park this morning with some sponsors/media on the phone.

There would have to be compromise and the Dublin Meath saga could never happen again but after such a high profile game yesterday the GAA will use it to make a slight change again imo.

Dreadnought

Quote from: Gael80 on June 27, 2022, 09:23:26 AM

We'll agree to disagree, in the world of finance the GAA will listen to the likes of Joyce and the public opinion on using penalties, with pressure being applied from sponsors and media. We seen the reality of the plan yesterday and I expect some head scratching in Croke Park this morning. There would have to be compromise and the Dublin Meath saga could never happen again but after such a high profile game yesterday the GAA will use it to make a slight change again imo.

The world of finance? The GAA are turning down lucrative replays here. For once, we can't throw the finance thing at them

thewobbler

That we borrowed penalties from soccer is not an issue. It's a coin toss with an element of skill. Like poker.

But based on yesterday we also seem to have borrowed soccer's bizarre attitude to the closing stages of extra time, when both sides seemed to concur that it's better to take your chance on penalties than try to win the game on the field.

Why do soccer managers follow this mantra? Seeing out games they could win.

Hence I really think GAA folk need to get ahead with the concept that if you don't win the game, you don't deserve to go through. If this approach is loved by players in the closing stages of tight games, it would make for a more thrilling spectacle.

tiempo

Quote from: RedHand88 on June 27, 2022, 09:19:23 AM
There is absolutely nothing wrong with penalties. Anyone who expects players and fans to go to croke park 3 weekends in a row in the middle of a cost of living crisis forgets all the whinging there used to be about how expensive it was for families beforehand.
I feel like some people just do not want anything that comes from soccer in the GAA. Its anglophobia and belongs in the past.

We're living through a take your beatings crisis in the GAA where priority is whining like f**k about everything except the fact your team was second best and accepting defeat like a he/she/they/them

Redhand Santa

Penalties is not a gaa skill and should never be used to determine the winner of such an important match - it's a lottery. At this stage of championship I'd prefer replays (with a much reduced admission price). If this isn't possible then ball thrown in again and next score wins (toss for who plays which way - the wind might be an advantage). This would make much more sense than penalties and wouldn't take too long to determine the winner.

Dreadnought

Quote from: RedHand88 on June 27, 2022, 09:19:23 AM

Indeed, we've had penalties in GAA for ages now, so a penalty shootout is not a far reach. And not just soccer. Penalty shootouts happen in other sport too, like ice hockey. And I think it's the best option. Each team has a chance to either take or save each one. Can't do that with frees or 45s. Yesterday both takers and keepers had the chance to effect the results of the game, and Galway came out winners. Armagh had their chances

Gael80

Quote from: Dreadnought on June 27, 2022, 09:25:52 AM

We'll agree to disagree, in the world of finance the GAA will listen to the likes of Joyce and the public opinion on using penalties, with pressure being applied from sponsors and media. We seen the reality of the plan yesterday and I expect some head scratching in Croke Park this morning. There would have to be compromise and the Dublin Meath saga could never happen again but after such a high profile game yesterday the GAA will use it to make a slight change again imo.

The world of finance? The GAA are turning down lucrative replays here. For once, we can't throw the finance thing at them

😂.. no we can't to be fair but is it sustainable? My opinion like many is more about fairness on the players but when we think about it, the GAA are potentially throwing away over €1million, imagine a semi final goes the same way as yesterday. Media and sponsors would of loved another Armagh v Galway game in a packed stadium. I think decide on the day in the first match is crazy and when common sense takes over the authorities will all agree.

Dreadnought

Quote from: Redhand Santa on June 27, 2022, 09:28:29 AM
Penalties is not a gaa skill and should never be used to determine the winner of such an important match - it's a lottery. At this stage of championship I'd prefer replays (with a much reduced admission price). If this isn't possible then ball thrown in again and next score wins (toss for who plays which way - the wind might be an advantage). This would make much more sense than penalties and wouldn't take too long to determine the winner.

Well I must have missed it when penalties have been used in GAA for ages now for fouls in the box. And not a lottery, both the taker and keeper can affect the outcome of the kick. Nowhere near a lottery at all. Galway supposedly practiced them, at the end of challenge matches. They trained for it, and won it.

How does next score win work in a gale force win? That now is far more of a lottery than penalties... You can't call it that, and then give that suggestion.

Dreadnought

Quote from: Gael80 on June 27, 2022, 09:31:57 AM

😂.. no we can't to be fair but is it sustainable? My opinion like many is more about fairness on the players but when we think about it, the GAA are potentially throwing away over €1million, imagine a semi final goes the same way as yesterday. Media and sponsors would of loved another Armagh v Galway game in a packed stadium. I think decide on the day in the first match is crazy and when common sense takes over the authorities will all agree.

But we can't have it both ways, especially in these times. Are we expecting players and supporters of one of teh teams go out to Croke Park 3 weekends in a row now? We've known about this all year. A big game would always have these discussions, but we'll get used to it and move on

smort

Think i'd prefer penalties taken from the hands if we have to have penalty shootouts. People saying that other sports have penalties, but those penalties represent skills and actions that are practiced and performed in all moments of training/games, gaelic football does not have this. Only a few players on each team practice hitting stationary ballls from the ground into the net or over the bar, and these skills are often practiced outside of actually training time. What we need is something that all players partake in, at all times, a skill innate to the game

Armagh18

Quote from: Dreadnought on June 27, 2022, 09:34:57 AM

But we can't have it both ways, especially in these times. Are we expecting players and supporters of one of teh teams go out to Croke Park 3 weekends in a row now? We've known about this all year. A big game would always have these discussions, but we'll get used to it and move on
Happily. Cut ticket prices for a replay though.

Gael80

Quote from: Dreadnought on June 27, 2022, 09:34:57 AM

No we wouldn't expect that or shouldn't but that is why pushing the All Ireland Finals into August would allow the space for at least one replay if required. We aren't going to agree which is ok, lets see what happens when the split season is fully reviewed which is planned.

Redhand Santa

Quote from: Dreadnought on June 27, 2022, 09:33:28 AM
Quote from: Redhand Santa on June 27, 2022, 09:28:29 AM

Well I must have missed it when penalties have been used in GAA for ages now for fouls in the box. And not a lottery, both the taker and keeper can affect the outcome of the kick. Nowhere near a lottery at all. Galway supposedly practiced them, at the end of challenge matches. They trained for it, and won it.

How does next score win work in a gale force win? That now is far more of a lottery than penalties... You can't call it that, and then give that suggestion.

It's a lottery as it's not a skill of the game. I'd much prefer the game won using next score. The wind could be a factor (but won't be a lot of times for big games in the summer) but that's part of every match (sometimes it only picks up for a half giving a team advantage etc).