Apathy towards Hurling in the North/Ulster

Started by Turf, June 04, 2022, 11:56:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

imtommygunn

Do you think there's an apathy towards hurling in the glens of Antrim, the ards  peninsula, Keady,Burt, slaughtneil, dungiven, Middleton, Dungannon etc etc etc ...

Nonsense thread. Though the ground being better in the better counties is one of the better reasons I have heard ;D

marty34

Quote from: imtommygunn on June 06, 2022, 08:06:46 AM
Do you think there's an apathy towards hurling in the glens of Antrim, the ards  peninsula, Keady,Burt, slaughtneil, dungiven, Middleton, Dungannon etc etc etc ...

Nonsense thread. Though the ground being better in the better counties is one of the better reasons I have heard ;D

Football clubs should be promoting hurling.

Adds so much to a player's skills set, it's a huge bonus.  Unfortunately 'football people', for some reason, see it as a threat.

imtommygunn

Tbh I would imagine county boards are more at fault than clubs. Definitely in a few counties anyway.

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: marty34 on June 06, 2022, 08:22:56 AM
Quote from: imtommygunn on June 06, 2022, 08:06:46 AM

Football clubs should be promoting hurling.

Adds so much to a player's skills set, it's a huge bonus.  Unfortunately 'football people', for some reason, see it as a threat.

I agree, I posted that on Derry thread there. Over half of our football all-stars played hurling too. Its very sad to say but when we tell people that we are struggling for numbers here at times in Derry City the response is always "its a soccer city". To an extent there is some truth in that but our biggest obstacle has been a small number of influential gaelic football coaches at club and development squad level telling lads they would be dropped if they played hurling for us. Wiped out a minor team 3-4 years back. Been better since but all it takes is one asshole selling the "dream"

imtommygunn

Fear Derry is really sad tbh. There are so many good hurlers in Derry. It just plays second fiddle.

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: imtommygunn on June 06, 2022, 09:17:59 AM
Fear Derry is really sad tbh. There are so many good hurlers in Derry. It just plays second fiddle.

born in the wrong county lol. Frustrating

oakleaflad

Genuine question, a bit unrelated but you get why i'm asking here, is anything being done to try to get Kilkenny competing in National Leagues or All Ireland Football Championship or have they just given up/no interest?

Armagh18

Quote from: oakleaflad on June 06, 2022, 09:40:20 AM
Genuine question, a bit unrelated but you get why i'm asking here, is anything being done to try to get Kilkenny competing in National Leagues or All Ireland Football Championship or have they just given up/no interest?
Don't they play in a junior championship along with English teams?

oakleaflad

Quote from: Armagh18 on June 06, 2022, 09:41:58 AM
Quote from: oakleaflad on June 06, 2022, 09:40:20 AM
Don't they play in a junior championship along with English teams?
Not sure. Good if they are and hopefully some work being done at underage level to improve things.

didlyi

Why does a conversation about the lack of Hurling in the whole Provence of Ulster always develop into the lack of football in one county, Kilkenny. Looks like its used as an excuse to continue doing nothing about it.

imtommygunn

Why is it specifically about ulster though and why does the poster include counties who do a massive amount of work in hurling?

Connacht bar galway is the same. Leinster have only really a few teams.

oakleaflad

Quote from: didlyi on June 06, 2022, 11:06:58 AM
Why does a conversation about the lack of Hurling in the whole Provence of Ulster always develop into the lack of football in one county, Kilkenny. Looks like its used as an excuse to continue doing nothing about it.
I asked a genuine question aside from the Ulster question which had already been discussed at length. I can't elaborate much further from what Fear has already said about my own county. The counties of Ulster all compete in the National League and in their various levels of championship in hurling. Kilkenny don't do that in football, which I personally find a bit sad. I asked in hope they had some structures/plans in place to get back to that level. 

You're clutching at straws with the bit in bold.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: oakleaflad on June 06, 2022, 11:25:54 AM
I asked a genuine question aside from the Ulster question which had already been discussed at length. I can't elaborate much further from what Fear has already said about my own county. The counties of Ulster all compete in the National League and in their various levels of championship in hurling. Kilkenny don't do that in football, which I personally find a bit sad. I asked in hope they had some structures/plans in place to get back to that level. 

They play football in Kilkenny, they just don't allow it to prosper as well as it could, they have had many teams over the years  that have dipped their toes into the National leagues but due to the beatings they were getting they failed to be competitive.

Their club football championship is run off early in the year I think and they play intermediate when it goes to club championship in Leinster

As said before they play in the all brit competition and haven't been in the National league since 2012.. They have won 3 Leinster titles, back in the day, more than Fermanagh has won Ulster  ;)
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

didlyi

Yes its sad that KK dont compete. But what has it to do with Ulster Hurling?

oakleaflad

Quote from: didlyi on June 06, 2022, 12:23:01 PM

Yes its sad that KK dont compete. But what has it to do with Ulster Hurling?
Nothing. I've already said as much in my original post.