Mayo V Monaghan Qualifier

Started by joemamas, May 23, 2022, 03:17:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wildweasel74

Bad call for the (def) penalty at the end alright, wouldn't gave the Mayo penalty neither.

joemamas

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on June 05, 2022, 11:20:28 PM
Bad call for the (def) penalty at the end alright, wouldn't gave the Mayo penalty neither.

Thought it was a penalty also, if it was Conor McManus, he would have been cute enough to pull Keegan down on top of himself, giving the referee no option.

Speaking of  Conor McManus, what a wonderful and gifted footballer over last decade, I hope he was not 100% fit yesterday and can come back again, as very few forwards have his skill to kick the outrageous points he has kicked over that period. A true legend.

highorlow

It would've been a stonewall Hennelly save, in anyways.
They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

Main Street

Quote from: highorlow on June 06, 2022, 12:51:56 AM
It would've been a stonewall Hennelly save, in anyways.
Hennelly was denied the opportunity by an inept ref to enhance his hero status with accomplishing that actual deed.

Blowitupref

Possible foul by Aidan O'Shea on Ryan Wylie in the build up to the penalty that was awarded?
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Maroon Manc

Quote from: Main Street on June 05, 2022, 01:38:43 AM
It was a strange game, Monaghan had learned some important defensive lesson since the defeat to Derry but it took nothing stranger than the sight of McManus altering  a difficult game to one beyond reach due to his black card foul and missing 2 relative sitters.
On the day Mayo totally deserved the victory which was not overly enhanced by the bould Barry. Monaghan managed the black card period poorly, however once McManus returned  Mayo failed to keep the pressure on, Monaghan steadied the game and  reduced the deficit to a manageable 3.  I thought then maybe Monaghan could pull it off. I haven't quite worked out how Monaghan screwed up the second half, but Mayo found enough to stay well clear or enough clear.

That was a chronic 2nd half from Monaghan, not much better from Mayo either. Mayo as expected struggled without O'Donoghue in addition to losing Conroy earlier in the year and were there for taking. Mayo went over 20 minutes without a score too, Monaghan lacked any sort of cohesion going forward, some of their passing was hopeless; Perhaps Mayo deserve credit for that.

Will McManus retire?

Wildweasel74

McManus, 2 Hughes Brothers, Karl O'Connell, Fintan Kelly, possible Colin Walsh all likely retire, Monaghan likely drop bck into the pack. That Team brought them 2 Ulster titles and a couple of All Ireland semis I think.

Main Street

Say it ain't so, Wildweasel.

imtommygunn

O'Connell wouldn't be that old would he? Walshe was playing sigerson not that long ago too - he shouldn't be that old yet? I would imagine Darren may retire but not Kieran. I don't think a couple of all ireland semis - maybe one?

Estimator

Quote from: imtommygunn on June 07, 2022, 08:22:49 AM
O'Connell wouldn't be that old would he? Walshe was playing sigerson not that long ago too - he shouldn't be that old yet? I would imagine Darren may retire but not Kieran. I don't think a couple of all ireland semis - maybe one?

From the semi-final programme:
Walshe - 31 - C'ship Debut Armagh 2010
D Wylie - 35 - C'ship Debut Antrim 2012
Duffy - 31 - C'ship Debut Kildare 2010
F Kelly - 32 -  C'ship Debut Antrim 2012
O'Connell - 34 - C'ship Debut Antrim 2012
D Hughes - 35 - C'ship Debut Derry 2007
K Hughes - 31 - C'ship Debut Armagh 2009
C McManus - 34 - C'ship Debut Down 2007

Could throw in Beggan and McCarron (who will be 31 & 30 respectively next year) as well making their C'Ship debuts in 2013.  Lots of fellas with plenty of county miles on the clock at this stage. But, you'd think that McManus, Wylie, O'Connell and Hughes (snr) would be the only ones considering their position.  Was mentioned in commentary during Saturdays game that Hughes (jnr) wouldn't even contemplate retiring if his older brother was still playing as it would look really bad. ;D

Ulster League Champions 2009

imtommygunn

Oh - I thought O'Connell was younger. They may struggle  bit over the next few years if a lot of those guys retire.

seafoid

Is that the end of Monaghan?

yellowcard

Monaghan have had some run of it for the last 10 years and perhaps with a bit more luck should have got to an AI final or certainly a few more semis. However i think their goose is cooked now. McManus looks a shadow of the player he once was and McCarron whilst very skilful can be tied down a lot more easily. Given the age profile of that side they could easily slide downwards very quickly as they might have a lot of players retiring at the same time. Even the lads around 30 will look at it and think that the county might have to spend a few years in transition and question whether it is worth the commitment. 

Main Street

Quote from: seafoid on June 07, 2022, 10:54:40 AM
Is that the end of Monaghan?
You have been alluding to the end of Monaghan for the past 10 years. :D
We are past the end stage, now it's the new beginning.

seafoid

In Bantystan it's always the beginning