Is the earlier Championship a success or failure?

Started by full moon, May 07, 2022, 12:15:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Earlier Championship

Success
60 (37.3%)
Failure
67 (41.6%)
Too early to say
34 (21.1%)

Total Members Voted: 161

Eire90

are some counties at later stages of championships already.

AustinPowers

Quote from: westbound on July 16, 2023, 10:29:19 PM
Quote from: AustinPowers on July 16, 2023, 07:43:04 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on July 16, 2023, 03:01:23 PM
Quote from: AustinPowers on July 16, 2023, 02:58:46 PM
I thought the Tailteann final should have been played  on the Sunday. Playing it on a  Saturday was  a bit demeaning, especially as  the  curtain raiser on  the Sunday is the All Ireland  junior football final  (Kilkenny v New York , if you're interested)

It's played before the semi final ffs!

Is it demeaning for Dublin to play their game on the Saturday?

I know that.  But playing it on a Sunday  gives more down  and Meath fans the opportunity to attend .  Or watch on tv.  Not everyone are able to  attend on Saturday afternoons  .  It just seemed  that the JFC was more important than  the Tailteann final as it  was on the Sunday. And how many Kilkenny  and New York fans would have   been  inconvenienced  by that final being on the Saturday?  Not too many

It might have inconvenienced some of the players though, when you consider the semifinal was on friday night!!

Didn't realise  that.  That was asking  a lot of players  to play 2 games  in that short a timeframe

westbound

Quote from: AustinPowers on July 17, 2023, 08:42:24 PM
Quote from: westbound on July 16, 2023, 10:29:19 PM
Quote from: AustinPowers on July 16, 2023, 07:43:04 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on July 16, 2023, 03:01:23 PM
Quote from: AustinPowers on July 16, 2023, 02:58:46 PM
I thought the Tailteann final should have been played  on the Sunday. Playing it on a  Saturday was  a bit demeaning, especially as  the  curtain raiser on  the Sunday is the All Ireland  junior football final  (Kilkenny v New York , if you're interested)

It's played before the semi final ffs!

Is it demeaning for Dublin to play their game on the Saturday?

I know that.  But playing it on a Sunday  gives more down  and Meath fans the opportunity to attend .  Or watch on tv.  Not everyone are able to  attend on Saturday afternoons  .  It just seemed  that the JFC was more important than  the Tailteann final as it  was on the Sunday. And how many Kilkenny  and New York fans would have   been  inconvenienced  by that final being on the Saturday?  Not too many

It might have inconvenienced some of the players though, when you consider the semifinal was on friday night!!

Didn't realise  that.  That was asking  a lot of players  to play 2 games  in that short a timeframe
It's been done that way for the last few years.  That's why the junior final had to be on sunday, it couldn't be saturday after playing the semifinal on friday.

I think it's done over one weekend to allow NY & London travel over once for both games instead of having to travel twice.  Whether that should be the way it's done or not I'm not sure, but that's why it is done!

Rossfan

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Captain Obvious

Quote from: Rossfan on August 17, 2023, 08:54:45 AM
Summary of Club Championships progress in the Counties

https://m.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/with-club-game-the-only-show-in-town-what-is-state-of-nation/a27725552.html

County club finals in October and provincial finals in December pretty much the same as it was before the split season and with the split season wasn't it promised the club All-Ireland series would be completed in a calendar year?

johnnycool

Quote from: Captain Obvious on August 17, 2023, 04:54:35 PM

https://m.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/with-club-game-the-only-show-in-town-what-is-state-of-nation/a27725552.html

County club finals in October and provincial finals in December pretty much the same as it was before the split season and with the split season wasn't it promised the club All-Ireland series would be completed in a calendar year?

a lot of counties have introduced round robin/backdoor club championships as they've more time to play them out. Back in the day most were straight knockout so all year a club player was toiling for one game potentially.

seafoid

The efficient Kilkenny football championship is an example to the rest of the country.

seafoid

If they could run a month off before May it would make a huge difference. I still think club championships should be standardised. Too many sacrifices have been made for the deal not to be delivered on both sides.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: johnnycool on August 22, 2023, 03:24:47 PM
Quote from: Captain Obvious on August 17, 2023, 04:54:35 PM

a lot of counties have introduced round robin/backdoor club championships as they've more time to play them out. Back in the day most were straight knockout so all year a club player was toiling for one game potentially.

"One bite of the cherry" That's phrase you won't hear to often in the counties, Tyrone run the championship at its purest form, while it may not help them come Ulster they certainly leave everything on the pitch on the day of the game.

If the Fav team hasn't brought their A game then the upset is their, but the top team in round robin or groups generally get their act together to progress!
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

seafoid

Cheddar said this experiment needs a few years for full visibility. It's too complex for a 2 year Congress cycle.

ttps://www.rte.ie/sport/hurling/2023/0106/1345281-timing-is-everything-calendar-sharpens-january-focus/

"Every player now, you can never relax fully. You need to be ticking over in the down season. I think that maintenance work is going to ramp up even more in the next couple of years because of the split-season."

"I would like to see some definite down-time for all players," says Cheddar. "Even those last couple of weeks of the year. Everyone needs a break, even mentally.

"Take TJ Reid for example, one of the best hurlers of any generation, over the last few seasons he is playing well into the year with inter-county and then into the following year with his club Ballyhale.

"You probably have to have a bit of flexibility in year one but I would expect the GAA authorities to tighten up with that.
"I do think some counties do have to slim down to 12-team or 16-team championships to have them run off properly in a calendar season. I can understand the reasons why some counties have a Senior B championship but clear out all that rubbish, make it Senior, Intermediate and then Junior 1, Junior 2 etc.

"I think if all counties had that it would be much easier then to schedule games to make sure that your All-Ireland club championship is going to be held on the second Sunday in December."

"The championship needs to be a bit longer, it's compressed a little bit too much"

"I think the split-season has been quite successful but I certainly wouldn't jump into it for the next 10 years without giving it really good thought about all the aspects," he says. "Particularly how you're going to grow the game and keep it at the forefront for young people.

"Having it last year was really good because it gave us a sense of what it looks like. But what are we comparing that against
? We would have to have, for example, a blended season or something to compare it with.

There may not be enough time in 6 months to run off everything clubs want. Running the club finals in Jan is not ideal  either.

seafoid

Apart from the TC what other reforms of the split season would you approve of?

marty34

I think the problem is that the earlier a county team is knocked out of their championship, the sooner they can start their club championship, so all the counties are not starting from the same base so to speak.

Say for example Limerick or Dublin, they were in the AIF so they can't really start until that's over.

I presume Cheddar means that the county chsmpionship should be extended for another few weeks?

johnnycool

I fail to see how anyone can say the split season is nothing but a success for the majority of active GAA playing members.

For every TJ Reid in Kilkenny/Ballyhale there's hundreds if not thousands of club players getting to play meaningful club championship games at the height of summer.

This agenda that games are losing publicity to soccer, rugby, cricket or tennis I don't buy it, plus the old way meant there was regularly 3 plus weeks between games, the very same intercounty players were complaining about the games to training ratios and CB's were out a fortune paying these backroom staffs for a prolonged period of time.

There's two weeks from the end of the round robins to the respective Provincial finals (hurling that is), then there's two weeks to the AI quarterfinals with another two weeks to the semi-finals and similar gap of two weeks to the final. I see no issues with that, come third in the round robin you'll be out more than that, but there has to be a jeopardy in not winning to make it worthwhile.

In the round robin series no team plays more than two weeks in a row on the bounce. Is that a big ask now?

The post provincial football championship formats to me look to be games for the sake of it, if only 1 team in four get eliminated, is that correct?

It's those lads in the media who need to fill column inches and get paid for their punditry shouting the most, wonder why?

Eire90

johnnycool