Donegal vs. Cavan - Ulster SFC 2022 Semi Final, Sunday 8th May

Started by Dreadnought, April 27, 2022, 10:19:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blowitupref

FT Donegal 2-16 Cavan 0-16. Goals wins games. Cavan was very competitive and now no qualifiers for them but Tailteann Cup instead.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

J70

Quote from: lenny on May 08, 2022, 05:37:24 PM
Quote from: yellowcard on May 08, 2022, 05:31:24 PM
Game fizzled out and went flat the second half. It's ironic that Donegal scored both goals from long hopeful miskicked balls into the square.

Good game though. Cavan were impressive and should do well in the Tailteann Cup. Donegal got a fright in the first half but they are so consistent.

I don't think Derry or Monaghan will be too worried about meeting us.

We've a huge amount of work to do before the final. Far too slow and predictable for much of the game.

But... we hung in there against a ferocious first half effort from Cavan. Brilliant tackling, hard hits and some great scoring.

tyrone08

Game fizzled out and went flat the second half. It's ironic that Donegal scored both goals from long hopeful miskicked balls into the square.

Good game though. Cavan were impressive and should do well in the Tailteann Cup. Donegal got a fright in the first half but they are so consistent.

Consistent? It was 2 lucky goals which won it for them. Overall thought Donegal were poor enough.

Main Street

Quote from: Schkite on May 08, 2022, 05:27:53 PM
Jesus what a fortunate goal for Donegal, you'd feel for Cavan but Galligan should have been clearing that ball away out if he was going to go up for it.

Donegal will see this out now straightforward enough you'd imagine. Huge blow for Cavan as Donegal were there for the taking today if Cavan were able to push on a bit more towards the end.
I thought that Galligan should have stayed on his line, there were defenders and he just left his goal exposed.
Very good effort by Cavan but Donegal were patient, paced themselves well and dominated the finish.

Captain Obvious

Cavan in fairness to them gave a good competitive performance a bit daft they don't go into the qualifiers when they are probably better than a few teams that will play in it

Donegal got over the line thanks to goals. Under Bonner Donegal a good Ulster championship team however have struggled to make any impact under him outside of Ulster, will that change this year?

Main Street

Quote from: Nanderson on May 08, 2022, 04:55:55 PM
Quote from: Main Street on May 08, 2022, 04:51:52 PM
Canavan remembers Conor Lane flashed a red card for exactly the same type of foul on McBrearty years ago agin Tyrone, "no consistency"  he says.
Tyrone grudges are timeless.
Caolan Mooney got sent off against armagh 3 years for the same thing shoulder into the jaw when trying to shoulder someone
I don't know what happened in that tackle but this another game , probably a different ref? and this time Conor carefully took stock of the situation before making his decision
If Conor's decision was wrong in that Tyrone game from years ago, then should he be consistently wrong or should he learn to make better?
Canavan thought the yellow card was correct.

greatpoint

Quote from: greatpoint on May 05, 2022, 10:58:34 PM
Outside of some fairly desperate projecting, you're not missing anything.

The spread looks to be 5 points from what I can see.

6 points in the end and probably should have been more with all the goal chances Donegal had, odds were a bit generous.

Some nasty late and head high challenges from Cavan, they really didn't want to drop down into the Bibi Baskin Cup.

SouthDublinBro

Donegal only put 2 high balls in and Cavan couldn't deal with either of them. I can see why they were in division 4.

Dreadnought

Lads, just me or was Conor Lane completely inconsistent in reffing both teams? I'll need to rewatch, but thought Donegal got some right handy frees, and Cavan couldn't buy them if they tried to. Murphy seems to be let do what he pleases around the field too

J70

Quote from: tyrone08 on May 08, 2022, 05:42:55 PM

Consistent? It was 2 lucky goals which won it for them. Overall thought Donegal were poor enough.

I presume he is talking about their tenth Ulster Final in 12 years, fourth in last five under Bonner.

Wildweasel74

Thought it a red myself, even if accidental. Cavan should had a penalty to, Donegal got 2 very lucky goals, and both teams hit the cross bar when they should goaled.

J70

Quote from: Dreadnought on May 08, 2022, 06:39:15 PM
Lads, just me or was Conor Lane completely inconsistent in reffing both teams? I'll need to rewatch, but thought Donegal got some right handy frees, and Cavan couldn't buy them if they tried to. Murphy seems to be let do what he pleases around the field too

Given this place, I'm sure it's not just you, but personally I don't know what you're talking about.

I didn't see any frees Donegal got that shouldn't have been given, nor any obvious ones Cavan missed out on.

Penalty call was debatable based on the limited replays, so far.

Eire90

so another ulster championship featuring tyrone or donegal in the final yet people think its great

full moon

Quote from: greatpoint on May 08, 2022, 06:29:22 PM
Quote from: greatpoint on May 05, 2022, 10:58:34 PM
Outside of some fairly desperate projecting, you're not missing anything.

The spread looks to be 5 points from what I can see.

6 points in the end and probably should have been more with all the goal chances Donegal had, odds were a bit generous.

Some nasty late and head high challenges from Cavan, they really didn't want to drop down into the Bibi Baskin Cup.

I'm not sure what match you were watching. Donegal had the referee on  side and had handy frees for any contact. Goal chances? They fluked two goals.
Against a Division 4 side it was poor from Donegal. Talk of All Irelands are a bit of a laugh. I doubt there will even be an Ulster going to Donegal.

full moon

Quote from: Eire90 on May 08, 2022, 06:47:39 PM
so another ulster championship featuring tyrone or donegal in the final yet people think its great
What province are you from? At least the Ulster games are competitive. Munster and Leinster aren't worth a f**k, teams lie down before a ball is played. Connacght has 3 teams of any quality.