Donegal vs. Cavan - Ulster SFC 2022 Semi Final, Sunday 8th May

Started by Dreadnought, April 27, 2022, 10:19:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Itchy

I'm confident Cavan can win on Sunday and I very confident the odds on offer are miles of the reality of this game. But in fairness Westside not sure what else Bonner could say in his situation. Everyone is telling Donegal they only have to turn up to win and Cavans league form was a bit all over the place while Antrim were brutal. I wouldnt like to be Bonner trying to put a lid on that expectation.

I prefer to look at these facts

1- Cavan have beaten Monaghan x2, Armagh and Donegal in the last 3 Ulster Campaigns
2- Cavan have pretty much the same panel as they had in 2020 with the addition of Paddy Lynch and the return of Conor Moynagh. I would also add Killian Clarke was a late starter to the championship in 2020 and wasn't in the best shape of his life.
3- Cavan have zero fear of Donegal, we've beaten them in a senior final and in U21s when these same lads met, Cavan mostly came out on top. Cavan played half that senior final with 14 men and were also playing against Cassidy too.
4- Graham is a man that has shown he is excellent at getting his teams peaking for championship.

Could have egg on face Sunday but for me Cavan will pip Donegal on Sunday by a point or two.

rodney trotter

There wasn't anything wrong with what Bonner said. Cavan were playing a low level , they weren't playing that well either.

He won't have Donegal as complacent as 2 years ago. Derry thumping Tyrone last weekend a further reminder that Donegal have to be up for it.

Itchy

Quote from: rodney trotter on May 05, 2022, 09:56:50 PM
There wasn't anything wrong with what Bonner said. Cavan were playing a low level , they weren't playing that well either.

He won't have Donegal as complacent as 2 years ago. Derry thumping Tyrone last weekend a further reminder that Donegal have to be up for it.

The thing is how complacent were they really, no one really knows. Cavan were 6/7 points a better team than them that day. We will soon know the truth of it on Sunday.

Farrandeelin

If Cavan win, will there be a preliminary round in the Qualifiers?
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

greatpoint

Quote from: Westside on May 05, 2022, 09:01:47 PM
Quote from: bannside on May 05, 2022, 08:47:39 PM
Struggling to see what Bonnar said out of place tbh. Am I missing something??

There's nothing overtly wrong with what he said. It's the same type of interview many Division 1 managers give when they are facing into a walkover game.

Bonnar might be right, maybe Cavan are as poor as he clearly thinks we are, genuinely. We'll find out Sunday.

Come on now, don't back down so quickly. Have the courage of your convictions.

By the way, Bonnar's the Tipperary hurling manager as far as I'm aware.

greatpoint

Outside of some fairly desperate projecting, you're not missing anything.

The spread looks to be 5 points from what I can see.

Westside

Quote from: rodney trotter on May 05, 2022, 09:56:50 PM

It was extremely condescending. Would he have complimented the people of Monaghan or Armagh on how much they love their football? Would he have talked about their tradition? Not a chance. Because you don't talk that sort of nonsense when you take a team seriously.

What's happened since November 2020 would suggest that he's right not to think Cavan are anything other than opposition that you need to keep an eye on but not get overly concerned about. It's up to Cavan to repeat the trick and prove him wrong.

Westside

Quote from: greatpoint on May 05, 2022, 10:49:21 PM
Quote from: Westside on May 05, 2022, 09:01:47 PM

There's nothing overtly wrong with what he said. It's the same type of interview many Division 1 managers give when they are facing into a walkover game.

Bonnar might be right, maybe Cavan are as poor as he clearly thinks we are, genuinely. We'll find out Sunday.

Come on now, don't back down so quickly. Have the courage of your convictions.

By the way, Bonnar's the Tipperary hurling manager as far as I'm aware.

This seems to have your hackles raised, why? Clearly nothing wrong with the interview on the face of it but it doesn't take a genius to see how little respect he has for Cavan. It was an interview you give before you take on cannon fodder. The condescending Jim Gavin v Carlow style of interview.
Cavan have done very little since 2020 to suggest he's wrong but I still find it a little surprising. We'll know better on Sunday if he's right or not.

full moon

Cavan aren't a team that's easy to predict. We could win, we could get beaten comfortably. Donegal are a fairly dour outfit, fairly defensive and not great for neutrals. Cavan aren't playing great football either.

It's most likely going to be handpass fest. Cavan are going to have to go direct and start converting scores when the chance presents itself otherwise Donegal will get a few points up and ease to victory.

One thing is we know what to expect from Donegal, we've played them in 2 of the last 3 Ulster finals. And this knockout for us no qualifiers after. So I expect us to make a competitive game of it.

Cavan19

Quote from: Westside on May 05, 2022, 08:04:25 PM
Declan Bonnar gave a good insight into just how little respect he has for this Cavan team in an interview with donegaldaily. It takes untold levels of confidence/arrogance/stupidity to pat Cavan on the head and talk about how much we love our football. I would have thought that after 2020 he might have gained some level of respect for this Cavan team but he clearly sees the 2020 final as a complete aberration. I sincerely hope that Cavan aren't as bad as Bonnar thinks we are. If he's right, this will be a 15+ point hammering.

"Cavan are really strong, passionate and traditional football county, they love their GAA down there, they've built a bit of momentum winning the Division 4 title against Tipperary. They really dismantled a decent Antrim team in the first round two weeks ago."

Are you just looking for something to get annoyed about?

Westside

Who said I was annoyed? It was an observation, noting the condescending tone and giving my thoughts on what that meant on his opinion of Cavan. I've also said repeatedly that he could be right. We are too well used to these dismissals in Cavan to get annoyed about it as i'm sure you know.

quit yo jibbajabba

Cavan19

J70

Quote from: Westside on May 05, 2022, 08:04:25 PM
Declan Bonnar gave a good insight into just how little respect he has for this Cavan team in an interview with donegaldaily. It takes untold levels of confidence/arrogance/stupidity to pat Cavan on the head and talk about how much we love our football. I would have thought that after 2020 he might have gained some level of respect for this Cavan team but he clearly sees the 2020 final as a complete aberration. I sincerely hope that Cavan aren't as bad as Bonnar thinks we are. If he's right, this will be a 15+ point hammering.

"Cavan are really strong, passionate and traditional football county, they love their GAA down there, they've built a bit of momentum winning the Division 4 title against Tipperary. They really dismantled a decent Antrim team in the first round two weeks ago."

Offensive stuff all right. ::)

You want a wee bit of ketchup with that chip on your shoulder? ;D

imtommygunn

Quote"Cavan are really strong, passionate and traditional football county, they love their GAA down there, they've built a bit of momentum winning the Division 4 title against Tipperary. They really dismantled a decent Antrim team in the first round two weeks ago."

I don't understand  ;D