Cocaine and the GAA

Started by Truth hurts, April 25, 2022, 10:44:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thewobbler

Has there been a rise in violence?

Mourne Red

Quote from: general_lee on April 25, 2022, 11:31:10 AM
Anyone from your electrician to your bank manager could be sniffing the devils dandruff on any given weekend. I've even heard first hand that a certain GAA tv personality wasn't averse to having a line or two (and I've no reason to doubt the person who witnessed it). Outside having a zero tolerance policy on GAA premises I don't think there's a whole lot the association can do. Weed in my opinion is harmless and should be decriminalised immediately.

If it's the person I've heard then you'd be correct, he's a big fan of the line dancing.. As for decriminalisation of Weed, studies need to go into the mental health side of it, depression and weed are  linked and the dependence upon it to help escape those mental health problems can cause them to worsen.

Cavan19

A club up here has had a serious issue with suicide, 3 or 4 young lads in there teens and early 20's doing away with themselves and when things were peeled back there was a link to drugs with some of them and rumors of debts been built up. 

I seen drug taking most weekends i go out 2 or 3 lads heading into a cubicle to get their fix it's as normal as going out for a smoke these days.

yellowcard

All that the GAA can do is raise awareness. It is a societal issue and I don't know what the answer is but the current strategy of governments clearly hasn't worked. 

mrdeeds

It is a GAA problem as lots of lads take it so can they don't have a hangover and can still train, also no calories so stay in shape.

Massive problem in terms of mental health as the lows after and meant to be serious.

Eire90

Quote from: Mourne Red on April 25, 2022, 12:01:36 PM
Quote from: general_lee on April 25, 2022, 11:31:10 AM
Anyone from your electrician to your bank manager could be sniffing the devils dandruff on any given weekend. I've even heard first hand that a certain GAA tv personality wasn't averse to having a line or two (and I've no reason to doubt the person who witnessed it). Outside having a zero tolerance policy on GAA premises I don't think there's a whole lot the association can do. Weed in my opinion is harmless and should be decriminalised immediately.

If it's the person I've heard then you'd be correct, he's a big fan of the line dancing.. As for decriminalisation of Weed, studies need to go into the mental health side of it, depression and weed are  linked and the dependence upon it to help escape those mental health problems can cause them to worsen.

i think hes also been accused of being a womenizer

Eire90

taking cocaine then playing gaa  less than 24 hours later  wouldn't be good for the heart

thewobbler

Quote from: mrdeeds on April 25, 2022, 12:28:33 PM
It is a GAA problem as lots of lads take it so can they don't have a hangover and can still train, also no calories so stay in shape.

Massive problem in terms of mental health as the lows after and meant to be serious.

f**k me.

It takes a warped perspective on the world to determine that an amateur association which provides sporting facilities and administration, must take responsibility for how its members behave outside of their club.

trailer

Quote from: thewobbler on April 25, 2022, 12:44:30 PM

f**k me.

It takes a warped perspective on the world to determine that an amateur association which provides sporting facilities and administration, must take responsibility for how its members behave outside of their club.

Agree. Half the country is on the bag. Some fellas with serious habits.

Eire90

Quote from: trailer on April 25, 2022, 12:46:47 PM
Quote from: thewobbler on April 25, 2022, 12:44:30 PM

f**k me.

Agree. Half the country is on the bag. Some fellas with serious habits.

and i would say  lot of them are seen as community good guys or they are worshipped because they are involved in it while people that keep quiet are demonised.

full moon

It's not a GAA issue though just society even the article you posted is 18 months old and you reference Ed Sheeran concert that is nothing to do with GAA barring the venue.

I agree it's more widespread and accepted now, to be honest it is everywhere and particularly in Dublin and bigger urban areas. But even in rural areas its fairly common too. There is nothing much the GAA can do about it and really it isn't the GAA's place to get involved in what amateur players or members get involved in on their spare time. That might sound defeatist but it's just reality.

full moon

Quote from: Eire90 on April 25, 2022, 12:35:16 PM
taking cocaine then playing gaa  less than 24 hours later  wouldn't be good for the heart
The number of players doing that is non existent if they have a match the following day. Most lads wouldnt even drink the night before matches anymore never mind taking coke

befair

Cocaine and cannabis are minor++ problems compared to alcohol

Armagh18

Quote from: full moon on April 25, 2022, 03:50:13 PM
Quote from: Eire90 on April 25, 2022, 12:35:16 PM
The number of players doing that is non existent if they have a match the following day. Most lads wouldnt even drink the night before matches anymore never mind taking coke
Most lads if they've a game the next day will sit in the house and won't be drinking taking drugs the night before. Plenty of lads will go out and drink/take drugs or both if they're training the next morning.

marty34

Quote from: befair on April 25, 2022, 04:06:02 PM
Cocaine and cannabis are minor++ problems compared to alcohol

Bigger problem is gambling!