Sam Maguire Qualifiers 2022

Started by twohands!!!, April 24, 2022, 08:20:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

onefineday

Quote from: guevara on June 25, 2022, 07:43:03 PM
Sean Hurson allowed The Dubs to pull  away with the usual amount of soft frees.
Cork stopped kicking the ball in and it continually resulted in turnovers.

Johnny Cooper MOTM tells you how poor The Dubs were.
Nuts, I was only half watching the game, but the one thing I kept my eye on was cooper and Hurley.
Cooper was constantly at him off the ball, digs, holding him, they were rolling around the ground wrestling at one point (think after cooper had picked up his yellow), dunno what the umpires were at. He was taken off to avoid getting red imo.

Gael85

Quote from: Hound on June 25, 2022, 03:32:13 PM
Con and Jamesie confirmed as not in the 26 for Dublin today. So the rumoured hamstring injuries appear to be true.

Think Con broken bone in ankle. We won't do against kerry next wee.

marty34

Quote from: sam03/05 on June 26, 2022, 08:12:33 AM
The way the draw has worked out has devalued the quarter finals and left complete mismatches
With big teams drawing each other all along the way, leaving rubbish such as Clare and Cork in the last 8, basically fulfilling a fixture and celebrating that they got to a quarter final.

Replace them with say Donegal, Tyrone, or Monaghan, Kildare
And it really would have been a brilliant weekend of competitive games.
I suppose that's the idea of next year, which will probably ensure that these type of non competitor games can't happen at quarter final stage

But Clare and Derry are both i n Div. 2.

Gael85

Quote from: yellowcard on June 25, 2022, 08:21:47 PM
They are a shadow of the 6 in a row team but they could get themselves up for one last shot at glory. Muscle memory and a learned ability to close out tight games should not be underestimated. I suspect if they don't win an AI this year they could struggle to regain the crown for a good few years though as a lot of players are on their last legs at the top level.

Dublin have lost 15/16 players from the 2019 panel.  It was an ageing panel bar the lads from the 2011 minor team and Con, Murchan and Howard.  Lads coming through at not at same level   Would expect kerry to win it handy this and next year.

sam03/05

That's the point - same with Cork
Got through by virtue of the fact that the Div 1 teams all drew each other
Armagh v Tyrone
Donegal v Armagh
Mon v Mayo
Kildare v Mayo

This imbalance - left 2weak teams in last 8

But Clare and Derry are both i n Div. 2.
[/quote]

imtommygunn

Clare beat a division one team to get to play Derry though. Cork had an easier run.

Hound

Quote from: imtommygunn on June 25, 2022, 07:46:16 PM
Johnny Cooper at sweeper was the reason Donegal tore Dublin apart in 2014 wasn't it. He's a corner back or full back at best. Positional sense isn't there for sweeper.

That's not right.

Cooper's best position by far is sweeper. He is an excellent reader of the game and a very good leader.
But probably hasn't got the legs anymore to be a 1 on 1 defender. 

The Donegal 2014 game was where we have had everyone following their man. We learnt after that that some defenders need to hold their position if their men went back.

Dublin don't play a sweeper if the opposition play 6 forwards. But in recent years it's only Mayo and Kerry who do that. Give all our defenders someone to mark and you will cause us big problems. Although you'll also leave us space up the other end.

Clearly Con is a massive player for the Dubs. If he's missing for the semi the Dubs will be in big trouble. Would need to consider using Kilkenny as a replacement, but that would weaken the half forward line.

ONeill

Still think Armagh were the best qualifier champions  ever.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

From the Bunker

Quote from: ONeill on June 26, 2022, 08:29:25 PM
Still think Armagh were the best qualifier champions  ever.

Kildare used to hold that title! Had the same Manager too!

seafoid

None of the qualifiers qualified for the semi finals.
Armagh went closest.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU