Started by twohands!!!, April 24, 2022, 07:56:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Westside

Quote from: thewobbler on June 17, 2022, 05:10:55 PM
Quote from: Dreadnought on June 17, 2022, 04:59:41 PM
Quote from: thewobbler on June 17, 2022, 03:59:58 PM
These games shouldn't be in Croke.

It will look, sound and feel all wrong.

Put them each in a 10-15k capacity stadium with u16s free. Generate an atmosphere. Make it memorable for the right reasons.

They should be there, otherwise it's lose lose. It's a new competition, and not using Croke would be seen to be undermining the competition before it started. It was sold on the semis and final being in Croke Park and live on RTÉ Sport. So that's that. They're expecting just over 20k this Sunday. Yes, that's low. But if the counties in this see that the competition is being supported, that they get their chance in Croker (Sligo haven't been there in ages) then they need to push on with that, and Counties will buy into it. Like they can do no right here as they'll be criticised whatever way they decide.

I understand that people will complain each way and every way.

But if this competition needs, above all else, player buy in-  I just can't honestly imagine any adult of sound mind wanting to play in an empty stadium over a full house.

Almost none of the Sligo lads have played in Croker. Going in as big underdogs and maybe looking at their final game in the competition, do they want to play in a sparsly occupied Croke Park or a full Portlaoise... I'd be shocked if anyone said Portlaoise.

Bord na Mona man

Quote from: Armagh18 on June 17, 2022, 11:56:18 AM
Quote from: Rossfan on June 17, 2022, 11:41:21 AM
This 30k attendance to cover costs is a long out of date accountancy figure. They used to divide the annual running  costs including loan and interest repayments by the number of fixtures.
30,000 attendance would generate at least €600k, add in programmes sales and dear food and drink.
Can it really cost €700k to stage a match in Croke Park?.

As for empty seats, I would hope the players would be too busy playing the game to pass any heed on seats (Ros defenders excepted)

Surely it can't cost 700k? What expense are there? Stewards/utilities etc? Not sure where the 700k would come from.

On the empty seats- you'd imagine that a crowd of 20k which would have a huge buzz in the likes of Clones  or probably anything less than 40k would be lost in croker and not create much of an atmosphere.

The minimum break-even gate was a red herring first introduced by President GAA Sean Kelly almost 20 years during the Rule 42 debates about opening Croke Park.
The premise was to create the impression that the newly rebuilt stadium was a massive white elephant and needed soccer and rugby revenues to pay its way.
In reality there are lots of low key games played there when you include clubs and schools etc which are managed appropriately with the right amount of ground staff present.

Look-Up!

I suppose end of the day it's a new competition that was needed. There's always going to be mistakes made trying something new and going forward we can learn and tweak things for the better. Personally I'd prefer a smaller ground with a full house but understand the reasons for using CP. It's hard to say if a game at a closer regional venue would attract a bigger crowd but it would absolutely have a better atmosphere.

As regards developing weaker counties I'd like to see a reward for the winners to actually help in development e.g a number of fully paid schools coaching staff for say a period of 5 years. Something less for beaten finalists. I think an intermediate competition would be good too for teams in the middle 10/12 bracket. A better level of competition for teams off the elite level and a realistic stepping stone for teams in the weakest tier once they gain promotion. It would also ensure development prize money for the lower tier would go to weakest teams. 

seafoid

Playing in CP is a big part of the Tailteann Cup. It's an unforgettable experience for a footballer and for many of the fans.
Football teams go through cycles. Some of the non Leinster teams in the competition could be provincial champions over the next few years.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Dreadnought

Quote from: thewobbler on June 17, 2022, 05:10:55 PM
Quote from: Dreadnought on June 17, 2022, 04:59:41 PM
Quote from: thewobbler on June 17, 2022, 03:59:58 PM
These games shouldn't be in Croke.

It will look, sound and feel all wrong.

Put them each in a 10-15k capacity stadium with u16s free. Generate an atmosphere. Make it memorable for the right reasons.

They should be there, otherwise it's lose lose. It's a new competition, and not using Croke would be seen to be undermining the competition before it started. It was sold on the semis and final being in Croke Park and live on RTÉ Sport. So that's that. They're expecting just over 20k this Sunday. Yes, that's low. But if the counties in this see that the competition is being supported, that they get their chance in Croker (Sligo haven't been there in ages) then they need to push on with that, and Counties will buy into it. Like they can do no right here as they'll be criticised whatever way they decide.

I understand that people will complain each way and every way.

But if this competition needs, above all else, player buy in-  I just can't honestly imagine any adult of sound mind wanting to play in an empty stadium over a full house.

Well of course it needed player buy in. That's critical that they were in. Do it shoddily, then players leave, go overseas for the summer and all that. They launched it with some things set. Croke Park semis and final on TV, a holiday fund, and All Stars. It absolutely needed the players or this would have been dead on arrival. And it nearly was, only for decent teams to make it to the last 4, and they need a big winner to give it prestige for later years.

Blowitupref

10,000 the expected attendance for Sundays semi final double header according to https://crokepark.ie/
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Blowitupref

Cavan and Offaly have named their 26. Westmeath have named just a starting 15.  Sligo publish a panel with no starting team.

Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

seafoid

https://www.rte.ie/sport/football/2022/0617/1305549-croke-park-the-perfect-stage-for-tailteann-cup/
All four semi-finalists know they are playing in Division 3 and 4 next year. In order to play in the All-Ireland series they will have to reach a provincial final. However, the carrot of the winners of the final on 9 July playing in the All-Ireland series in 2023 is an appealing bounty. The extra motivation will add even more spice to the games.

Proper order that the semi-finals are in Croke Park. Leinster counties have regular days out in headquarters, unfortunately counties from the other three provinces have been starved of opportunities to play there.

The idea that a game is in Croke Park raises its status for everyone. After seeing the match, children commit to playing and practicing to emulate their heroes and play in Croke Park.

Sponsors feel vindicated in providing support and will be encouraged to provide support for the following season. For the players, it can bring focus to a whole new level.

As a player, I never had an opportunity to play in Croke Park. As a manager and coach, I have embraced and loved every opportunity to be involved with teams in our magnificent stadium.

onefineday

Quote from: Blowitupref on June 18, 2022, 01:13:15 AM
10,000 the expected attendance for Sundays semi final double header according to https://crokepark.ie/

Think what the buy-in from players and attendance would be if the prize was a spot in div 2 for the winners for next year?

seafoid

https://www.rte.ie/sport/football/2022/0617/1305387-colm-orourkes-tailteann-cup-predictions/

The Tailteann Cup is a competition I've always wanted to see in the GAA. I thought it could have had a bit better promotion but the players and counties have embraced it. It'll be fantastic for them to get to Croke Park this Sunday. And it will be great for the supporters of those counties who never get to see their own playing on the big field.

Hound

First 10-12 minutes very even. Except Cavan can kick scores and Sligo can't!
Would be 0-6 to 0-6 if both were shooting really well. Instead it 0-5 to 0-0 for Cavan.
Sligo badly need to get off the mark or the game will be gone

seafoid

Sligo ain't too shabby now

Blowitupref

HT Cavan 0-11 Sligo 1-3. Took Sligo 15 minutes to score very wayward shooting and Cavan 6 points ahead couldn't have hoped for a better start.

Sligo goal from a penalty and had another three goal scoring chances. Final action of the half could have been a Cavan goal.

Hound

HT Cavan 0-11 Sligo 1-3

Sligo have been the better team for most of the half in most areas, but not the most important part - shooting! Cavan have kicked some lovely scores but Sligo's shot execution has been poor.

Sligo also had 4 goal chances of which they've only taken 1.
Cavan got one goal chance right on half time, which the keeper saved well.