Tailteann Cup 2022

Started by twohands!!!, April 24, 2022, 07:56:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

marty34

Quote from: Armagh18 on June 17, 2022, 11:56:18 AM
Quote from: Rossfan on June 17, 2022, 11:41:21 AM
This 30k attendance to cover costs is a long out of date accountancy figure. They used to divide the annual running  costs including loan and interest repayments by the number of fixtures.
30,000 attendance would generate at least €600k, add in programmes sales and dear food and drink.
Can it really cost €700k to stage a match in Croke Park?.

As for empty seats, I would hope the players would be too busy playing the game to pass any heed on seats (Ros defenders excepted)

Surely it can't cost 700k? What expense are there? Stewards/utilities etc? Not sure where the 700k would come from.

On the empty seats- you'd imagine that a crowd of 20k which would have a huge buzz in the likes of Clones  or probably anything less than 40k would be lost in croker and not create much of an atmosphere.

Do stewards get paid or are they volunteers?

Armagh18

Quote from: marty34 on June 17, 2022, 11:58:02 AM
Quote from: Armagh18 on June 17, 2022, 11:56:18 AM
Quote from: Rossfan on June 17, 2022, 11:41:21 AM
This 30k attendance to cover costs is a long out of date accountancy figure. They used to divide the annual running  costs including loan and interest repayments by the number of fixtures.
30,000 attendance would generate at least €600k, add in programmes sales and dear food and drink.
Can it really cost €700k to stage a match in Croke Park?.

As for empty seats, I would hope the players would be too busy playing the game to pass any heed on seats (Ros defenders excepted)

Surely it can't cost 700k? What expense are there? Stewards/utilities etc? Not sure where the 700k would come from.

On the empty seats- you'd imagine that a crowd of 20k which would have a huge buzz in the likes of Clones  or probably anything less than 40k would be lost in croker and not create much of an atmosphere.

Do stewards get paid or are they volunteers?
Good question, actually have no idea.

Itchy

Quote from: Armagh18 on June 17, 2022, 11:56:58 AM
Quote from: full moon on June 17, 2022, 11:52:52 AM
Under 16s should be free in that would pick up attendances. I've said it a few times but the whole nonsense with the app and ticketmaster while not accepting cash on the gate puts a certain number of people off as well. Some people used to decide late notice to attend matches. While some elderly people don't even have smartphones or could take an hour trying to download the tickets the process is so bad.

The more barriers in the way the less people attend games sadly. GAA were warned but the accountants in charge just seen the bottom line, the cost of handling the cash and missing money issues went away.
Completely agree.

Agree with U16s being free. I think people can still pull into any Centra or Supervalu an hour before the match and buy a ticket with cash

full moon

Quote from: Itchy on June 17, 2022, 12:22:19 PM
Under 16s should be free in that would pick up attendances. I've said it a few times but the whole nonsense with the app and ticketmaster while not accepting cash on the gate puts a certain number of people off as well. Some people used to decide late notice to attend matches. While some elderly people don't even have smartphones or could take an hour trying to download the tickets the process is so bad.

The more barriers in the way the less people attend games sadly. GAA were warned but the accountants in charge just seen the bottom line, the cost of handling the cash and missing money issues went away.
Completely agree.

Agree with U16s being free. I think people can still pull into any Centra or Supervalu an hour before the match and buy a ticket with cash

From what I know a lot Centras/Supervalus listed by GAA don't actually sell tickets. Nowhere in Cavan town does even though they're listed. A lot of the shops haven't got tickets for sale anymore.

Look-Up!

I think kids buy into the lure of CP more than adults and are excited about going. From that point of view it seems an OG charging them in.

full moon

Apparently Offaly are missing several players and Sligo missing Niall Murphy.  Should tip things more towards Westmeath and Cavan to get the victories.  I'd say there will be a decent crowd from Sligo and Cavan, not sure what Offaly and Westmeath support is like these days?

Rossfan

I think stewards in Croker are volunteers these days but no doubt get travel expenses and maybe a dinner?
As for Sundays game tickets should be €15 per adult, free or a nominal €1 for u16s, family packages of say €25, bulk deals for schools and Club underage teams etc.
Winning teams supporters will be charged €50 for the Final as it will be on with the Sam semi final.
Time the GAA appointed a promotions manager to try and maximise attendances and reduce costs to supporters.
It would pay more dividends in the long run.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

marty34

Quote from: full moon on June 17, 2022, 12:50:29 PM
Quote from: Itchy on June 17, 2022, 12:22:19 PM

Completely agree.

From what I know a lot Centras/Supervalus listed by GAA don't actually sell tickets. Nowhere in Cavan town does even though they're listed. A lot of the shops haven't got tickets for sale anymore.

Yeah, be good to get an updated list of reliabne places that stock tickets.

Did O'Neills' shops stock tickets a few years ago also?

full moon

Quote from: Rossfan on June 17, 2022, 01:10:12 PM
I think stewards in Croker are volunteers these days but no doubt get travel expenses and maybe a dinner?
As for Sundays game tickets should be €15 per adult, free or a nominal €1 for u16s, family packages of say €25, bulk deals for schools and Club underage teams etc.
Winning teams supporters will be charged €50 for the Final as it will be on with the Sam semi final.
Time the GAA appointed a promotions manager to try and maximise attendances and reduce costs to supporters.
It would pay more dividends in the long run.
Was listening to Paul Rouse on Examiner podcast he went on a good rant on tickets. He said It will cost him €100 just in tickets to attend on Sunday with his family. That's for Tailteann Cup semis and before food, fuel etc which all are quite expensive. Said he knew other families from Offaly who can't afford to go to it. Supposedly family tickets were gotten rid of.

thewobbler

These games shouldn't be in Croke.

It will look, sound and feel all wrong.

Put them each in a 10-15k capacity stadium with u16s free. Generate an atmosphere. Make it memorable for the right reasons.

imtommygunn

It's consistent with every decision the Gaa has made on this competition- wrong.

yellowcard

I think they done the right thing fixing the semi finals for Croke Park, at least until this new competition finds its feet. Give it a few years and this can be reviewed again but having a realistic chance of playing in a semi final at HQ for Div 3/4 counties was a big carrot to begin with. Many of those players will go through their careers without playing there.

The quality will be lower but I'd be fairly sure there will be at least as much excitement in these 2 Tailteann games as there was in last Saturdays double header at Croke Park with a similar sized crowd.     

Dreadnought

Quote from: thewobbler on June 17, 2022, 03:59:58 PM

Put them each in a 10-15k capacity stadium with u16s free. Generate an atmosphere. Make it memorable for the right reasons.

They should be there, otherwise it's lose lose. It's a new competition, and not using Croke would be seen to be undermining the competition before it started. It was sold on the semis and final being in Croke Park and live on RTÉ Sport. So that's that. They're expecting just over 20k this Sunday. Yes, that's low. But if the counties in this see that the competition is being supported, that they get their chance in Croker (Sligo haven't been there in ages) then they need to push on with that, and Counties will buy into it. Like they can do no right here as they'll be criticised whatever way they decide.

thewobbler

Quote from: Dreadnought on June 17, 2022, 04:59:41 PM
Quote from: thewobbler on June 17, 2022, 03:59:58 PM

They should be there, otherwise it's lose lose. It's a new competition, and not using Croke would be seen to be undermining the competition before it started. It was sold on the semis and final being in Croke Park and live on RTÉ Sport. So that's that. They're expecting just over 20k this Sunday. Yes, that's low. But if the counties in this see that the competition is being supported, that they get their chance in Croker (Sligo haven't been there in ages) then they need to push on with that, and Counties will buy into it. Like they can do no right here as they'll be criticised whatever way they decide.

I understand that people will complain each way and every way.

But if this competition needs, above all else, player buy in-  I just can't honestly imagine any adult of sound mind wanting to play in an empty stadium over a full house.

Rossfan

How many players from the 4 Counties involved have complained about it being in HQ?
How many Junior and Inter Club players complained about or didn't want  their Finals being in 2% occupied Croke Park?
Ditto for Ring, Rackard and Meagher teams.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM