Tailteann Cup 2022

Started by twohands!!!, April 24, 2022, 07:56:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

twohands!!!

https://www.skysports.com/gaa/gaelic-football/news/30553/12615078/down-footballer-barry-ohagan-says-eugene-branagans-comments-havent-got-inside-the-mourne-countys-camp

Quote"Well that was probably within five minutes of our defeat against Monaghan, a heavy defeat," he reflected.

"My own performance that day was bitterly disappointing. I thought maybe if I had kicked even two or three we might have been in it at that stage.

"Look, it was probably emotions and stuff like that that got into my head. I was a wee bit disappointed and one of the questions I was asked was, 'Would you rather be in the Tailteann Cup or an All-Ireland qualifier?' So that's what made me make that comment and go down that route.

"Look, at the end of the day, we are where we currently are at this moment in time with Down. If we put our heads together for this cup and try to develop our team, it can be beneficial for us in the long run and that's what our stand is now and hopefully it will go that way."

twohands!!!

Quote from: yellowcard on May 18, 2022, 09:43:01 AM

I think if teams can get over the initial disappointment of losing in their provincial championship and win their first or second matches they will begin to see this as a worthwhile prize but a lot will depend on the promotion given by the GAA and within the media.

I think this year isn't like to see a massive pile in the way of buy in (especially given half of the teams are only getting one game - I'd say there is a serious fear in every panel who are afraid of losing their first game) but next year with the guaranteed three games minimum including one home game for everyone county teams are going to have to take in seriously or they will end up being embarrassed by those counties who do.

I don't know how anyone can look at the Tailteann Cup and not see that it's miles better than what was there previously.

I wouldn't be surprised if before long Division 4 teams are talking about pulling out of the provincials in favour of the Tailteann Cup.

Rossfan

Quote from: thewobbler on May 18, 2022, 09:46:39 AM
"A lot will depend on the promotion given by the GAA and within the media".

No it won't. This is a B championship. They could have photo shoots 24 hours a day from now til July and it will still not earn a grain of public interest.
Bejases you seem to have a lot of interest in it anyway by the number of posts you have on it.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Itchy

One thing that does stick out to me as a problem is that this weekend, for example, Wicklow will play Waterford. One of them will lose and that is the season over. What's the difference between that and the old back door? Was there not supposed to be a round robin initially in the Tailteann cup?

Rossfan

The 2022 Congress passed a Round Robin Sam and TC from 2023.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Westside

Quote from: Itchy on May 18, 2022, 10:13:53 AM
One thing that does stick out to me as a problem is that this weekend, for example, Wicklow will play Waterford. One of them will lose and that is the season over. What's the difference between that and the old back door? Was there not supposed to be a round robin initially in the Tailteann cup?

From next year it will be round robin format.

Captain Obvious

Quote from: twohands!!! on May 18, 2022, 09:57:25 AM
I wouldn't be surprised if before long Division 4 teams are talking about pulling out of the provincials in favour of the Tailteann Cup.

I'll be surprised if that happens. Regardless if a division 4 team are out of their depth in the provincial championships the players and management will want to test themselves against better teams and those matches will attract higher attendances than majority of any B All-Ireland game.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: thewobbler on May 18, 2022, 09:46:39 AM
"A lot will depend on the promotion given by the GAA and within the media".

No it won't. This is a B championship. They could have photo shoots 24 hours a day from now til July and it will still not earn a grain of public interest.

Is it a county thing to gain recognition through the media and other outlets to play GAA? 99% of the GAA players play for the love of the game, not to get media attention..

I'm not sure what drives kids on nowadays....Getting 30 seconds coverage on The Sunday Game must be wonderful and a game changer!
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Eire90

will the casuals  be interested if  people get to the final could they see it as a excuse to drink will we see horns and car convoys for the winners of this.

Bord na Mona man

Offaly played Wexford in Wexford Park in the Leinster Championship. The TC rematch takes place in a club ground.

Blowitupref

Quote from: Bord na Mona man on May 18, 2022, 03:08:12 PM
Offaly played Wexford in Wexford Park in the Leinster Championship. The TC rematch takes place in a club ground.
Mentioned that already seems a bit odd.

Dates and venues confirmed for the round 1 ties.

Saturday 28 May

Tailteann Cup round 1
Cavan v Down, Kingspan Breffni, 2pm
Leitrim v Antrim, Carrick-on-Shannon, 2pm - GAAGO
Longford v Fermanagh, Glennon Brothers Pearse Park, 6.30pm
Sligo v London, Markievicz Park, 7pm

Sunday 29 May

Tailteann Cup Round 1
Carlow v Tipperary, Netwatch Cullen Park, 2pm
Laois v Westmeath, MW HIre O'Moore Park, 2pm
Wexford/Offaly v Wicklow/Waterford, TBC, 2pm
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Itchy

2pm on Saturday, that's the way to promote this and get a big crowd in. Pathetic.

FermGael

Fermanagh game is now at 5.30.

Have to really hand it to the Gaa.
Great times and weekend for the 1st round.
Sure there is feck all on that weekend bar the whole Ulster, Munster , Leinster and Connacht finals plus the champions league final Saturday night

Couldn't have picked a better time.
I would say you will see a good 15000 at each Tailteann Cup match.

Just confirms what we all ready knew
Tick the box and get it played as soon as.

Could you imagine if they had scheduled the qualifier games for the same date ?
Absolutely no chance
Wanted.  Forwards to take frees.
Not fussy.  Any sort of ability will be considered

Eire90

will there be many at the sligo v london game the champions league final is on at 8pm that night

Blowitupref

An update as to why Wexford Park isn't used this weekend, this was published in January.

“It was agreed that the pitch in Chadwicks Wexford Park will be closed from 9 May 2022 until 3 July 2022 to facilitate the planned upgrade works to the pitch and the installation of the new irrigation system,”
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose