Tailteann Cup 2022

Started by twohands!!!, April 24, 2022, 07:56:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

highorlow

Quote'To keep local rivalries going' lol...they haven't a clue and just making it up as they go along

Like Leitrim v Antrim....
They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

Itchy

Quote from: Blowitupref on May 16, 2022, 09:08:54 AM
According to the GAA president, the North and South sections are to cut down on travelling expenses and to keep local rivalries going.

Des Cahill said the semi finals would be played in Croke Park i thought it was the final only?

Allow me to translate

Cut down on expenses to the GAA and get bigger gates and mo money.

thewobbler

Quote from: Itchy on May 16, 2022, 10:10:35 AM
Quote from: Blowitupref on May 16, 2022, 09:08:54 AM
According to the GAA president, the North and South sections are to cut down on travelling expenses and to keep local rivalries going.

Des Cahill said the semi finals would be played in Croke Park i thought it was the final only?

Allow me to translate

Cut down on expenses to the GAA and get bigger gates and mo money.

Is there something fundamentally wrong with that approach though?

Bigger gates means more cash, yes. But it also means greater public attention.

I can't see a downside to that myself.

Well actually I can. The downside is that it is a pisspot competition that will be extinguished by 2025. So any games at all in it are completely ducking pointless.

Westside

I think it makes good sense. It'd be a pain in the arse to have to go to Waterford or Wexford from Cavan. It's not perfect but in most cases it's probably made things easier on supporters travel wise.

Eire90

if the competition fails  and is scrapped what do you think will happen will  weaker counties will they just get one attepmpt to make provincial final if they dont there summer is over.

Cavan19

Quote from: Westside on May 16, 2022, 10:19:05 AM
I think it makes good sense. It'd be a pain in the arse to have to go to Waterford or Wexford from Cavan. It's not perfect but in most cases it's probably made things easier on supporters travel wise.

It's doing nothing for the integrity of the competition only making little off it.

thewobbler

Quote from: Eire90 on May 16, 2022, 10:21:56 AM
if the competition fails  and is scrapped what do you think will happen will  weaker counties will they just get one attepmpt to make provincial final if they dont there summer is over.

If qualification for the AI playoffs is tied to league form and/or provincial form, then what harm is there in a short summer for those who underachieve? Surely they don't need to be beaten out of the gate multiple times before accepting their fate?

Come back next year re-focused instead.

Eire90

Quote from: thewobbler on May 16, 2022, 10:45:21 AM
Quote from: Eire90 on May 16, 2022, 10:21:56 AM

If qualification for the AI playoffs is tied to league form and/or provincial form, then what harm is there in a short summer for those who underachieve? Surely they don't need to be beaten out of the gate multiple times before accepting their fate?

Come back next year re-focused instead.

That  is would what would say  too but  some will moan and say we not getting summer football we want a day out  in the sun,

Westside

Quote from: Cavan19 on May 16, 2022, 10:40:57 AM

It's doing nothing for the integrity of the competition only making little off it.

There are imbalances everywhere. Derry beat Tyrone and Monaghan to get to a provincial final. Limerick beat Clare and Tipp. Will people ignore the Munster Final and talk about the integrity of the competition?

The northern side is slightly tougher. I'd rather that than traipsing down to Waterford for a match.

armaghniac

Cavan v Down

So the aristocrats still duel despite being thrown out of the big house. Will it be like the 1962 Ulster final?
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

full moon

GAA president on defending regional split citing fuel costs. What a joke, when did the GAA ever think about supporters and their prices, they rip people off at every opportunity.

Was McCarthy asked why his team gets a bye for 2 rounds and into the Southern section? Farcical

Cavan19

Quote from: Westside on May 16, 2022, 11:03:58 AM
Quote from: Cavan19 on May 16, 2022, 10:40:57 AM

There are imbalances everywhere. Derry beat Tyrone and Monaghan to get to a provincial final. Limerick beat Clare and Tipp. Will people ignore the Munster Final and talk about the integrity of the competition?

The northern side is slightly tougher. I'd rather that than traipsing down to Waterford for a match.

The provincial are obviously unbalanced but have always been that way having regional sections makes no sense and is making little of the competition.  I presume the Sam Maguire qualifiers divided into regions if they are been brought in for this?

Eire90

if it was all about fuel costs and local rivalries  then they would go  back to the old system before the backdoor that means less matches per team which means less travelling for teams and fans and the provincial championships would be more intense and a boost to local rivalries.

Westside

Down are a county with a great history and tradition. They love their football up there. Cavan will need to perform to a high level to beat them.

Captain Obvious

Quote from: Westside on May 16, 2022, 01:22:39 PM
Down are a county with a great history and tradition. They love their football up there. Cavan will need to perform to a high level to beat them.

Is that you Marty Morrissey?