Tailteann Cup 2022

Started by twohands!!!, April 24, 2022, 07:56:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rodney trotter

Quote from: Dreadnought on May 11, 2022, 12:20:57 PM
Quote from: rodney trotter on May 11, 2022, 12:10:29 PM
Re to Dreadnought

I dont know why you keep harping on that North so much harder. Tipperary  limerick, Offaly and Wicklow
North was Cavan, Derry, Longford and Fermanagh.

The weakest Southern team beat Cavan to send Cavan down to 4. Limerick are in Division 2 next year. Tipperary are as good as Cavan. Offaly unlucky to be relegated from Division 2,and have some promising All Ireland U20 players

Tipperary were relegated last year, as were Wicklow this year. They lost every game in the group stage last year, and stayed up with a playoff ambush with 3 goals against Cavan. Offaly dropped back down this year too (might be promising players coming, but weren't there last year), and Limerick went up this year on the back of what looks to be a overall poor Division 3 this year.

By any measure, and by prior performances and standing, the North was harder. I just did not see any reason or rationale why it needed to be geographic split. It was nonsensical. A proper season with 7 games is the way to determine who goes up or down, not making up the rules as they go along. And then to draw the Championship based on this? Was a joke overall...

Tipperary were without a number of players last year. They beat Cavan in the League and should have won the league final.

It was a short year last year because they had a short window with covid.

I don't know why its North and South this for the Tailtean Cup

Dreadnought

Quote from: rodney trotter on May 11, 2022, 01:38:18 PM
Re to Dreadnought

I dont know why you keep harping on that North so much harder. Tipperary  limerick, Offaly and Wicklow

The weakest Southern team beat Cavan to send Cavan down to 4. Limerick are in Division 2 next year. Tipperary are as good as Cavan. Offaly unlucky to be relegated from Division 2,and have some promising All Ireland U20 players

Tipperary were relegated last year, as were Wicklow this year. They lost every game in the group stage last year, and stayed up with a playoff ambush with 3 goals against Cavan. Offaly dropped back down this year too (might be promising players coming, but weren't there last year), and Limerick went up this year on the back of what looks to be a overall poor Division 3 this year.

By any measure, and by prior performances and standing, the North was harder. I just did not see any reason or rationale why it needed to be geographic split. It was nonsensical. A proper season with 7 games is the way to determine who goes up or down, not making up the rules as they go along. And then to draw the Championship based on this? Was a joke overall...

Tipperary were without a number of players last year. They beat Cavan in the League and should have won the league final.

As were Cavan, with lads out with Covid and such. And yes, they won in the League stage this year, but why should they have won in the final? Cavan were deservedly ahead at the end, getting the goals when needed and such. 4 worldie points by Tipp midfielder kept them in it. And sure they hit the bar, but that alone doesn't mean they should have won. If that's the logic then we can say Cavan should have won Sunday as they hit the bar too. If my Auntie had balls...

And yes it was a Covid disrupted year, yet they finished the finals early last year. There was time. or at least don't put so much on so few games. there was talk the year before about suspending promotion or relegation. I just think it was silly to do so on so few games, when it affected some teams more than others depending on lockdowns, or how Covid affected their squad was. It was never a good idea, especially then basing the split Championship on League positions the year after.

I don't know either. there is really no need for it, considering the teams from each likely play each other regularly anyway in their own provincial championship.

Armagh18

Whatever about last years north/south and unfair relegation it was because of covid. No such excuse now. Totally agree with Dreadnought re most of the teams play each other in provincials anyway.

Rossfan

At least there might be some bit of novelty if all the teams were in 1 pot and open draw.
Seems the draw will be on a Monday morning presumably on RTÉ radio sports bulletin.
Could they not have made a bit of a fuss, have it on the Sunday game from Croker with maybe the Co Chairs and Team managers in attendance and give them an oul free dinner?
And same with the Qualifiers.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Blowitupref

From RTÉ

The draw for the opening round of the Tailteann Cup, the new second tier competition in Gaelic football, will take place this Monday live on RTÉ Radio 1 at 8:35am and streamed live on the RTÉ News channel.

The knockout competition will be regionalised up until the quarter-final stage.

There will be 14 teams participating in the first round, with North and South groupings of fixtures drawn.

A total of 15 counties have already qualified; Antrim, Down, Fermanagh, Cavan, Longford, Offaly, Laois, Carlow, Wicklow, Wexford, Waterford, Sligo, Leitrim, London and New York (who get a bye to the quarter-finals).

If either Westmeath or Tipperary are defeated in provincial semi-finals this weekend a preliminary round will be required to reduce the number of first round teams to 14. Two preliminary round games will be played if both Westmeath and Tipperary lose.

All provincial semi-finalists will be exempt from a preliminary round, which as it stands comprises Cavan, Sligo and Leitrim.

New York will receive a bye to the quarter-final stage and will play their match in Ireland

Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

rodney trotter

Quote from: Dreadnought on May 11, 2022, 02:18:37 PM
Quote from: rodney trotter on May 11, 2022, 01:38:18 PM
Re to Dreadnought

As were Cavan, with lads out with Covid and such. And yes, they won in the League stage this year, but why should they have won in the final? Cavan were deservedly ahead at the end, getting the goals when needed and such. 4 worldie points by Tipp midfielder kept them in it. And sure they hit the bar, but that alone doesn't mean they should have won. If that's the logic then we can say Cavan should have won Sunday as they hit the bar too. If my Auntie had balls...

And yes it was a Covid disrupted year, yet they finished the finals early last year. There was time. or at least don't put so much on so few games. there was talk the year before about suspending promotion or relegation. I just think it was silly to do so on so few games, when it affected some teams more than others depending on lockdowns, or how Covid affected their squad was. It was never a good idea, especially then basing the split Championship on League positions the year after.

I don't know either. there is really no need for it, considering the teams from each likely play each other regularly anyway in their own provincial championship.

Tipperary looked the better period for long periods of the League final and ,Im not talking about the goal chances. Plenty of Cavan supporters weren't impressed with the performace. You think different, thats your opinion..

as for your aunty and uncle rubbish, you're lamenting the South side being weaker, but the weakest team Wicklow beat Cavan

Dreadnought

Quote from: rodney trotter on May 12, 2022, 07:08:04 PM

Tipperary looked the better period for long periods of the League final and ,Im not talking about the goal chances. Plenty of Cavan supporters weren't impressed with the performace. You think different, thats your opinion..

as for your aunty and uncle rubbish, you're lamenting the South side being weaker, but the weakest team Wicklow beat Cavan

I literally say above how it was an embarrassment. Got caught in an ambush when they got the goals. And it's not rubbish. By any measure, that north group was stronger last year. An arbitrary geographic split is nonsensical without weighting of the teams, and you can't be silly to think it wasn't lopsided when you look at the strength of the teams in it. Wicklow lost all 3 games then caught us in a playoff game. Fair play to them for doing so, but that setup last year was a joke no matter what way you spin it. As they showed this year going down in a proper 7 game League.

Cunny Funt

Northern Section

Antrim
Fermanagh
Down
Sligo
London
Longford
Leitrim
Cavan

Southern Section

Waterford
Laois
Offaly
Wicklow
Carlow
Wexford
Tipperary - if eligible
Westmeath - if eligible
New York - (enter at quarter-final stage)

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Cunny Funt on May 13, 2022, 05:20:15 PM

Northern Section

Antrim
Fermanagh
Down
Sligo
London
Longford
Leitrim
Cavan

Southern Section

Waterford
Laois
Offaly
Wicklow
Carlow
Wexford
Tipperary - if eligible
Westmeath - if eligible
New York - (enter at quarter-final stage)

You'd have thought London would be in the southern section  ::)
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

5times5times

If Tipp & Westmeath win, 2x prelim games will be 4 of Clare, Louth, Tyrone, Mayo and Armagh.  :o :o

onefineday

Re to Dreadnought

It made sense when you cast your mind back and recall that there were public health restrictions countrywide until mid May last year. Up to that point intercounty travel was not allowed. The GAA were playing on an exemption, whether or not it was suggested by the public health authorities or not, it probably made sense from a PR perspective as the GAA was trying to repair damage of training ban violations, county championship related outbreaks and the finger of blame being pointed around huge mayo outbreaks following the 2020 AIF.

Dreadnought

Quote from: onefineday on May 14, 2022, 08:12:51 AM
Re to Dreadnought

It made sense when you cast your mind back and recall that there were public health restrictions countrywide until mid May last year. Up to that point intercounty travel was not allowed. The GAA were playing on an exemption, whether or not it was suggested by the public health authorities or not, it probably made sense from a PR perspective as the GAA was trying to repair damage of training ban violations, county championship related outbreaks and the finger of blame being pointed around huge mayo outbreaks following the 2020 AIF.

It didn't make sense when you split it to North and South, avd had a North division with 2 Northern teams who were able to train and play challenge matches 5 weeks earlier than the other teams. Those others only had just over a week of collective training prior to league starting. It was completely arbitrary and was actually unfair considering what was at stake. Maybe like do it, but don't put promotion or relegation, or Tier a championship based on that truncated league. Come on like...

Westside

Cavan making all the right noises about this competition. Ray Galligan saying that Cavan need to stick together and win it. Faulkner saying he wants more silverware in a Cavan jersey. Even recently departed Mackey saying Cavan need to take it seriously and use it to keep the squad united. I still think their stomach for it won't be revealed until they find themselves in a tough contest. The general consensus of Cavan being able to walk this is just way off the mark. Fermanagh, Westmeath, Tipperary have all played this Cavan side in tight games and will have absolutely no doubt they can turn us over on any given day.

It seems that the semi finals and final are both televised, both on TV and final will be on AISF day. I think that's a good prize for the players, don't think anyone in the Tailteann Cup will turn up their nose at that.

yellowcard

Quote from: Westside on May 14, 2022, 11:46:02 AM
Cavan making all the right noises about this competition. Ray Galligan saying that Cavan need to stick together and win it. Faulkner saying he wants more silverware in a Cavan jersey. Even recently departed Mackey saying Cavan need to take it seriously and use it to keep the squad united. I still think their stomach for it won't be revealed until they find themselves in a tough contest. The general consensus of Cavan being able to walk this is just way off the mark. Fermanagh, Westmeath, Tipperary have all played this Cavan side in tight games and will have absolutely no doubt they can turn us over on any given day.

It seems that the semi finals and final are both televised, both on TV and final will be on AISF day. I think that's a good prize for the players, don't think anyone in the Tailteann Cup will turn up their nose at that.

It is the best passageway back to Sam Maguire for any of these counties. Summer football, silverware and TV exposure. Down would appear to have already turned up their nose at it judging by O'Hagans comments however.

Armagh18

Quote from: yellowcard on May 14, 2022, 12:28:41 PM
Quote from: Westside on May 14, 2022, 11:46:02 AM

It is the best passageway back to Sam Maguire for any of these counties. Summer football, silverware and TV exposure. Down would appear to have already turned up their nose at it judging by O'Hagans comments however.
Hopefully they get relegated again next year then.