Tailteann Cup 2022

Started by twohands!!!, April 24, 2022, 07:56:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dreadnought

Quote from: Itchy on May 11, 2022, 08:39:00 AM
Quote from: Dreadnought on May 11, 2022, 07:41:16 AM
Quote from: full moon on May 10, 2022, 10:33:40 PM
https://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/why-cavan-are-the-cuckoo-in-the-tailteann-cups-flimsy-nest-41636920.html

Saw that headline alright. Anyone able to paste in the text of the article? It's behind a paywall and I'll not get to buy the paper today...

Its written by Martin Brehony, safest thing is to leave it behind a pay wall. Reading a lot of crap about Cavan shouldnt be in the Tailtean Cup. Well we are and we are because we allowed ourselves to get relegated 2 years in a row. Suck it up I say and get on with it. It happens in club football all the time, a team going down that probably shouldnt.

I get you, just interested in what is said. And I know that, but I've always had issue with the fact we linked League and Championship, especially after 2 Covid disrupted Leagues. That farce last year of a 3 game League based on geographic split was just a pure joke. And then to link how you get on in Championship is head scratching to me. We shouldn't have put ourselves in this position, but teh setup at that time was ridiculous imo.

Itchy

Quote from: Dreadnought on May 11, 2022, 09:14:00 AM
https://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/why-cavan-are-the-cuckoo-in-the-tailteann-cups-flimsy-nest-41636920.html

Saw that headline alright. Anyone able to paste in the text of the article? It's behind a paywall and I'll not get to buy the paper today...

Its written by Martin Brehony, safest thing is to leave it behind a pay wall. Reading a lot of crap about Cavan shouldnt be in the Tailtean Cup. Well we are and we are because we allowed ourselves to get relegated 2 years in a row. Suck it up I say and get on with it. It happens in club football all the time, a team going down that probably shouldnt.

I get you, just interested in what is said. And I know that, but I've always had issue with the fact we linked League and Championship, especially after 2 Covid disrupted Leagues. That farce last year of a 3 game League based on geographic split was just a pure joke. And then to link how you get on in Championship is head scratching to me. We shouldn't have put ourselves in this position, but teh setup at that time was ridiculous imo.

It wasnt ideal but we had to start somewhere. I like the idea of linking league to championship, it ups the importance of the league which for me is a good thing. But all this was known before that league campaign and it was up to Cavan to avoid it. All we had to do was beat Wicklow and we didnt so thats where we are.

Westside

Fully agree with this. We knew the potential consequences before that Wicklow game and still got caught.

I think it's a good test for the squad now. There's a readymade excuse for failure in this competition, people will say they just didn't take it seriously. I'll be impressed if they buckle down and approach these games with the mentality we have seen from Mickey's teams during the championship up to now. I would only have us as slight favourites over Down, Westmeath, Fermanagh.

APM

Martin Breheny seems to be constantly looking for problems in the GAA competition format and rules.  Is it not journalists likes him that have driven the never ending review of rules and structures by the GAA?  Time to stop listening and if they don't feckin like it, perhaps they're reporting on the wrong sports. 

Itchy

Quote from: APM on May 11, 2022, 10:13:56 AM
Martin Breheny seems to be constantly looking for problems in the GAA competition format and rules.  Is it not journalists likes him that have driven the never ending review of rules and structures by the GAA?  Time to stop listening and if they don't feckin like it, perhaps they're reporting on the wrong sports.

Brehony is one of the worst out there. If hes not writing garbage he is making lists of the top 10 x,y and z to fill pages. Why the indo keeps him behind a pay wall like he is some hidden gem is hilarious but at least it means I don't have to read his every thought.

rodney trotter

Westmeath have lots of good footballers, Heslin, Ronan O Toole, Kieran Martin, Ray Connellan.  They should give Kildare a decent game in Leinster,but Kildare should come through.

Tipperary v Limerick should be close. It went to extra time in 2020. Tipperary need to win to avoid playing in Tailtean Cup. Stephen O Brien is back playing with them, missed the whole league

Dreadnought

Quote from: Itchy on May 11, 2022, 09:47:21 AM
Quote from: Dreadnought on May 11, 2022, 09:14:00 AM

It wasnt ideal but we had to start somewhere. I like the idea of linking league to championship, it ups the importance of the league which for me is a good thing. But all this was known before that league campaign and it was up to Cavan to avoid it. All we had to do was beat Wicklow and we didnt so thats where we are.

Oh like I completely agree. I just do think these weren't the years to be linking both, after the issues the last few years with the pandemic. Like that Wicklow game was a complete embarrassment. We outscore them, but they got goals at critical times and that's us down. But I've bigger issue before we even get to that. The layout last year was a joke. The North section was far harder than the South. They literally drew an arbitrary line, and said 3 games, and then we decide if you're up or down on playoffs. Should have had neither last year. Promotion or relegation after half a season was not right in my opinion.

And especially after the way last year went. We had Covid in camp, couldn't train at one point, while the North opened up maybe 4 or 5 weeks earlier than us? Fermanagh and Derry were over a month ahead of us, playing challenge games, we had a week or so of collective training and no challenges after opening up to get ready. We were caught cold in some of those games as we were behind, and then injuries, a man sent off v Fermanagh and there is no room for error. And still, it took a 75th minute Fermanagh point v Longford for them to go into promotion playoff and not us. A literal kick of a ball, and we'd have been likely playing Division 2 this year instead. It was a mad proposal overall that hinged on so few games. But that Wicklow game though. Jeez that was horrendous...

FermGael

Dowm have lost 4 players

Kilcoo defender Ryan McEvoy, who started that 0-23 to 2-7 loss in Clones, has left the panel, as has Gerdie Collins who came off the bench.

Mayobridge pair Cory Quinn and goalkeeper Charlie Smyth have also departed.
Wanted.  Forwards to take frees.
Not fussy.  Any sort of ability will be considered

full moon

Quote from: rodney trotter on May 11, 2022, 10:50:00 AM
Westmeath have lots of good footballers, Heslin, Ronan O Toole, Kieran Martin, Ray Connellan.  They should give Kildare a decent game in Leinster,but Kildare should come through.

Tipperary v Limerick should be close. It went to extra time in 2020. Tipperary need to win to avoid playing in Tailtean Cup. Stephen O Brien is back playing with them, missed the whole league

I think Tipp are well placed to win that. Be interesting if Limerick can keep up their impressive league results. Some of the bookies even have Tipp as favourite which is interesting.

I'd be very surprised if Westmeath bothered Kildare too much. This is surely Kildare's best chance in years of winning Leinster.

rodney trotter

Re to Dreadnought

I dont know why you keep harping on that North so much harder. Tipperary  limerick, Offaly and Wicklow
North was Cavan, Derry, Longford and Fermanagh.

The weakest Southern team beat Cavan to send Cavan down to 4. Limerick are in Division 2 next year. Tipperary are as good as Cavan. Offaly unlucky to be relegated from Division 2,and have some promising All Ireland U20 players

Itchy

Quote from: rodney trotter on May 11, 2022, 12:10:29 PM
Re to Dreadnought

I dont know why you keep harping on that North so much harder. Tipperary  limerick, Offaly and Wicklow

The weakest Southern team beat Cavan to send Cavan down to 4. Limerick are in Division 2 next year. Tipperary are as good as Cavan. Offaly unlucky to be relegated from Division 2,and have some promising All Ireland U20 players

You can argue the toss on how good or bad teams are but it is a fact the teams in the 6 counties had a month head start on training. Its irrelevant now anyway, we are where we are and need to make the best out of it

Dreadnought

Re to Dreadnought

Tipperary were relegated last year, as were Wicklow this year. They lost every game in the group stage last year, and stayed up with a playoff ambush with 3 goals against Cavan. Offaly dropped back down this year too (might be promising players coming, but weren't there last year), and Limerick went up this year on the back of what looks to be a overall poor Division 3 this year.

By any measure, and by prior performances and standing, the North was harder. I just did not see any reason or rationale why it needed to be geographic split. It was nonsensical. A proper season with 7 games is the way to determine who goes up or down, not making up the rules as they go along. And then to draw the Championship based on this? Was a joke overall...

Armagh18

Quote from: Dreadnought on May 11, 2022, 12:20:57 PM
Re to Dreadnought

Tipperary were relegated last year, as were Wicklow this year. They lost every game in the group stage last year, and stayed up with a playoff ambush with 3 goals against Cavan. Offaly dropped back down this year too (might be promising players coming, but weren't there last year), and Limerick went up this year on the back of what looks to be a overall poor Division 3 this year.

By any measure, and by prior performances and standing, the North was harder. I just did not see any reason or rationale why it needed to be geographic split. It was nonsensical. A proper season with 7 games is the way to determine who goes up or down, not making up the rules as they go along. And then to draw the Championship based on this? Was a joke overall...
Yeah the north south thing and 3 games thing  was crazy last year especially given that this years championship was based off league standings, I'd have felt very hard done by if we'd went down last year without getting a proper rattle at division 1. Having said that, if Wicklow are beating you, you deserve all ye get!

Dreadnought

Quote from: Itchy on May 11, 2022, 12:19:31 PM
Re to Dreadnought

You can argue the toss on how good or bad teams are but it is a fact the teams in the 6 counties had a month head start on training. Its irrelevant now anyway, we are where we are and need to make the best out of it

Well yeah exactly. It's done now, we move on. It was just so silly what they did when you look even slightly at it. We've just lost years of League development with this mad setup. But we'll make do, and try get up to Div 2 next year

Dreadnought

Quote from: Armagh18 on May 11, 2022, 12:28:31 PM
Quote from: Dreadnought on May 11, 2022, 12:20:57 PM
Re to Dreadnought

Yeah the north south thing and 3 games thing  was crazy last year especially given that this years championship was based off league standings, I'd have felt very hard done by if we'd went down last year without getting a proper rattle at division 1. Having said that, if Wicklow are beating you, you deserve all ye get!

Oh completely. that was an embarrassment, we did deserve it. Horrendous going. Pure ambush like, we outscored them but they got the goals at the right time. The thing is though, we were playing catch up all last year. Hangover after the Ulster win, can't get training, injuries, and behind the other Ulster counties. And despite that, we lost to Fermanagh by a point after being down a man for 3/4 of the game, beat Longford well, and lost by a few points to a Derry team who are now showing how good they are. We were scrambling for any modicum of form after the issues above, and got completely caught in the horror of it. My point is just it should never have got to that though, it was never equal for all teams starting out that League.