Tailteann Cup 2022

Started by twohands!!!, April 24, 2022, 07:56:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

APM

Quote from: thewobbler on May 05, 2022, 11:38:24 AM
Quote from: Rossfan on May 05, 2022, 11:27:14 AM
If you don't mind we're trying to have an adult conversation here.

But you're not. You and a few others are 95% of the way through dreaming up the Tommy Murphy Cup in its entirety. As a conversation it is bereft of original thought, and refuses to acknowledge the elephant in the room that county footballers don't want this competition. This is not adult behaviour.

I think you're making a sweeping statement here Wobbler.

County footballers who are playing in Division 3, when they can realistically aspire to be playing at a higher level, might not want this competition.  For me that could be Down and possibly Cavan. It will be interesting to see the attitude of Cavan towards it if they lose to Donegal on Sunday, given that they are a team who are on the way back up, unlike Down.  I have a funny feeling they might embrace it. 

I'm not saying these teams do not deserve to be in Division 3/4.  The league tables don't lie.  But if you pull on a Down jersey for the first time, you're dreaming about All-Irelands and Ulsters, not a B competition. 

However, for almost every other Division 3/4 team, you would have to imagine that there is interest in this, since it is a national competition that any of the Division 3 teams stand a good chance of winning and could provide a stepping stone. 

Farrandeelin

Quote from: thewobbler on May 05, 2022, 11:24:05 AM
Great ideas lads.

Let's put it on its own in the Saturday in Croke Park, in front of 5,000 people even with u16s going free. An empty stadium and a cup nobody gives a damn about winning. That'll really get the juices flowing for those players.

It's almost like you want to repeat the Tommy Murphy all over again. Because that was so successful, wasn't it?

I don't disagree with your sentiments regarding the TC in the first place, but it's here now and we have to get on with it then. I'm just saying for the sake of argument Carlow v Leitrim make the final. They never win anything at all. Maybe they WOULD like a day out in CP before the main event, but if fot example Mayo and Down ever get to the All-Ireland final would you want 10,000 tickets going to CW and LM - due to the fact it is on before the main event - or would you want to see more Down people with a chance of getting a ticket? I know I'd want more Mayo people getting a ticket for sure.

That's all I'm saying.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

yellowcard

Quote from: APM on May 05, 2022, 11:54:40 AM

But you're not. You and a few others are 95% of the way through dreaming up the Tommy Murphy Cup in its entirety. As a conversation it is bereft of original thought, and refuses to acknowledge the elephant in the room that county footballers don't want this competition. This is not adult behaviour.

County footballers who are playing in Division 3, when they can realistically aspire to be playing at a higher level, might not want this competition.  For me that could be Down and possibly Cavan. It will be interesting to see the attitude of Cavan towards it if they lose to Donegal on Sunday, given that they are a team who are on the way back up, unlike Down.  I have a funny feeling they might embrace it. 

I'm not saying these teams do not deserve to be in Division 3/4.  The league tables don't lie.  But if you pull on a Down jersey for the first time, you're dreaming about All-Irelands and Ulsters, not a B competition. 

However, for almost every other Division 3/4 team, you would have to imagine that there is interest in this, since it is a national competition that any of the Division 3 teams stand a good chance of winning and could provide a stepping stone.

Cavan would actually have a far better reason to discard the competition than Down. A lot of their players have won multiple U21 provincial titles and they won the USFC only 18 months ago. Down have done nothing of note in over a decade so I don't really get the delusions of grandeur because of something they achieved 30 years ago.

Eugene Brannigan came out with a few home truths in the paper yesterday that seemed to have upset a lot of people within Down but maybe he might have done Down football a big favour in the longer term. He's probably listened to all the stories circulating about the Down teams preparations in the last few months and rolled his eyes when he compares it to Kilcoo. If their county players didn't want to play in the Tailteann Cup that much because they think it is not the level that they should be playing at, then they need to look inwards.

full moon

Quote from: Rossfan on May 05, 2022, 11:05:49 AM

It should be €10 or €15 tickets with u16s €1 and PROMOTE the fkn thing.
GAA generally poor on Promoting their games.

How can we change that I wonder.  GAA is lagging seriously behind in promotion and marketing, probably a decade or more versus other sports. If it wasn't for the passion and interest of everyday supporters setting up podcasts, youtube videos, stats, social media it would be way worse.

It is not a lack of money issue. It's time Croke Park got with the times. I also think it may be a generational issue with those in charge. Much more tech savvy individuals from younger age demographics could be be brought in to promote the games more online and in media. Promotion and marketing needs to be massively improved by the GAA going forward. Other issues with ticketing also as you point out.

full moon

Quote from: From the Bunker on May 04, 2022, 10:07:28 PM
Quote from: imtommygunn on May 04, 2022, 07:56:16 PM
What is your solution? Division 4 gets no supporters but the same teams won't have many come championship, They might if they have a chance of winning something.

The solution is the rewards.

Automatic inclusion in the AI series next season regardless of Divisional status.
Replace Minors as undercard on AI final day.
When giving TV rights, Semi-finals and finals must be covered live as part of the Package.
Call the competition The All Ireland Tailteann Cup
Give the winners a Holiday tour.

Totally agree.

Also, do the finalists of the Joe McDonagh still get entry to that years All Ireland QF preliminary?  Is there a case that Tailteann Cup winners could gain re entry to All Ireland that same year?

If not I would agree they need improved perks for the winner the following year.

rosnarun

Quote from: yellowcard on May 05, 2022, 12:52:38 PM
Quote from: APM on May 05, 2022, 11:54:40 AM

Cavan would actually have a far better reason to discard the competition than Down. A lot of their players have won multiple U21 provincial titles and they won the USFC only 18 months ago. Down have done nothing of note in over a decade so I don't really get the delusions of grandeur because of something they achieved 30 years ago.

Eugene Brannigan came out with a few home truths in the paper yesterday that seemed to have upset a lot of people within Down but maybe he might have done Down football a big favour in the longer term. He's probably listened to all the stories circulating about the Down teams preparations in the last few months and rolled his eyes when he compares it to Kilcoo. If their county players didn't want to play in the Tailteann Cup that much because they think it is not the level that they should be playing at, then they need to look inwards.
though that sounded like a jamsie out campaign rather than a serious anti county rant
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

full moon

Are the semi finals in Croke Park or just the final?

twohands!!!

In terms of promotion I read or heard somewhere that Croke Park were planning on having a Tailteann Cup All-Stars and that the winners were getting a contribution towards a team holiday.

tintin25

Do the winners of this years competition get into next years All Ireland?

Cunny Funt

Someone should tell Tony McEntee that the group format doesn't come into place until next year.

"We're going to take it seriously, as everyone should. It's a divisional competition so we'll not know who's going to be in our group for a couple of weeks yet. But by all means, the Division we're in, the Northern Division, will be very strong. Probably Leitrim, Longford, Antrim, Down, Cavan as well, so there's a lot of very good teams in that, but we'll certainly be going with the view of trying to win the Tailteann Cup.

"It is something to look forward to, but right now we need to figure out how we can keep 15 people on the field against good teams, and if we can do that we'll put ourselves in with a good shout. But we'll look forward to the Tailteann Cup, we'll train hard for it, and we'll see how we do in it,"

armaghniac

Quote from: twohands!!! on May 05, 2022, 03:26:14 PM
In terms of promotion I read or heard somewhere that Croke Park were planning on having a Tailteann Cup All-Stars and that the winners were getting a contribution towards a team holiday.

Could they not play a North American selection in California or something and combine a bit of promotion and a holiday.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

thewobbler

Quote from: armaghniac on May 05, 2022, 06:24:22 PM
Quote from: twohands!!! on May 05, 2022, 03:26:14 PM

Could they not play a North American selection in California or something and combine a bit of promotion and a holiday.

Brilliant. A holiday that half of them won't be able to go on due to work/family/club commitments, and the other half don't get to enjoy their holiday, they are forced to play a match and be on best behaviour when they're there.

Brilliant.

Gaa board is outgoing itself with going back to the tried and failed methods, in its attempts to make a cup that has no appeal, have some appeal.

Rossfan

Quote from: Cunny Funt on May 05, 2022, 06:05:58 PM
Someone should tell Tony McEntee that the group format doesn't come into place until next year.

"We're going to take it seriously, as everyone should. It's a divisional competition so we'll not know who's going to be in our group for a couple of weeks yet. But by all means, the Division we're in, the Northern Division, will be very strong. Probably Leitrim, Longford, Antrim, Down, Cavan as well, so there's a lot of very good teams in that, but we'll certainly be going with the view of trying to win the Tailteann Cup.

"It is something to look forward to, but right now we need to figure out how we can keep 15 people on the field against good teams, and if we can do that we'll put ourselves in with a good shout. But we'll look forward to the Tailteann Cup, we'll train hard for it, and we'll see how we do in it,"

Seems like time Sligo got a new manager ::)
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

twohands!!!

Quote from: tintin25 on May 05, 2022, 05:43:00 PM
Do the winners of this years competition get into next years All Ireland?

Yes - guaranteed a place in the Sam Maguire qualifiers.

Eire90

does next years all ireland format make provincials less meaningful  if we we were using next  years format this year tyrone would still get into the 16 team group stage and would  have to finish in the top 3 to get into the knockout stage have the just made the super 8 the super 16