Tailteann Cup 2022

Started by twohands!!!, April 24, 2022, 07:56:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thewobbler

Quote from: full moon on May 04, 2022, 11:02:33 AM
Quote from: thewobbler on May 04, 2022, 10:05:29 AM
Quote from: full moon on May 04, 2022, 10:02:11 AM
Just read the first round is on the same weekend as the 4 Provincials football finals 28th/29th May?

Surely that's a death knell for any media coverage or attendances at the games that weekend.

This is what people meant about promotion or media coverage. The GAA are obviously don't care about it and the media won't either lumping it in that weekend against 4 Provincial football finals. The attendances won't be there if they had any hope in the first place.

If your solution is to give Tailteann cup rounds their own weekend to allow for maximum profile, thereby elongating the county season, then you should start again.

Who said anything about giving them their own weekend? I never said that. Don't make stuff up please and respond to the actual point

Putting it on the same weekend as 4 Provincial football finals, possibly the biggest weekend in the season in championship is surely self defeating.

But when though?

Is the Leinster or Munster final really going to piss on the B championship more than the Sam Maguire first round? No.

Short of giving the B its own weekend, it's always going to be second fiddle.

johnnycool

Quote from: full moon on May 04, 2022, 11:10:38 AM
The biggest cheerleaders for the Tailteann are those from counties not in it. Will these cheerleaders from bigger counties for the Tailteann attend matches? No chance.

So realistically the opinion of those from bigger counties who just want to push the other counties out of the way is utterly irrelevant.

Since the GAA and media refuse to promote or give it coverage, then  players and supporters from the counties involved have the right to give it the two fingers.

The GAA showed what they think of it putting it up against weekend of 4 Provincial football finals.

And the biggest cheerleaders for the Joe McDonagh, Christy Ring, Nicky Rackard and Lory Meagher were a lot of these counties you talk about and also a lot of the counties currently looking at Taílteann campaigns, Down included.

If you agree in principal for tiered hurling championships, then its very much what's good for the goose is good for the gander.

Milltown Row2

The biggest cheerleaders for the Tailteann are those from counties not in it. Will these cheerleaders from bigger counties for the Tailteann attend matches? No chance.

So realistically the opinion of those from bigger counties who just want to push the other counties out of the way is utterly irrelevant.

Since the GAA and media refuse to promote or give it coverage, then  players and supporters from the counties involved have the right to give it the two fingers.

The GAA showed what they think of it putting it up against weekend of 4 Provincial football finals.

Do the GAA and media promote the div 4 and 3 leagues? So teams in that cup will get the same attention I'd assume
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

imtommygunn

They barely promote division 1. Were it not for TG4 there'd be very little.

Armagh18

I'm in favour of it. Armagh definitely would have been glad of a competitive cup to go for there for years when we were bouncing between D2 and 3. 

general_lee

Quote from: Armagh18 on May 04, 2022, 12:35:33 PM

I'm in favour of it. Armagh definitely would have been glad of a competitive cup to go for there for years when we were bouncing between D2 and 3. 
Yeah I'd second that. Not sure what the player buy-in would be but for a county that has thrown so much at the senior team with very little return (regardless of league position) over the years it would have been ideal for Armagh.

imtommygunn

I'm in favour of it and my county would be in it pretty much every year. I don't know what publicity people think counties at Tailteann cup level get when they're playing in their provincials. They get a few interviews in the irish news (up here) in the lead up to it and a bit in the gaelic life. Then there's maybe a live match which is no good to anyone if not competitive.  Then they get ripped to bits by pundits and then the cycle repeats itself  :o

full moon

Quote from: johnnycool on May 04, 2022, 12:07:26 PM

And the biggest cheerleaders for the Joe McDonagh, Christy Ring, Nicky Rackard and Lory Meagher were a lot of these counties you talk about and also a lot of the counties currently looking at Taílteann campaigns, Down included.

If you agree in principal for tiered hurling championships, then its very much what's good for the goose is good for the gander.

I don't care about Hurling, much like most of the country. It's a minority sport with about what 12 teams out of 36 involved in the Liam McCarthy?

I don't actually think following Hurling down the garden path to irrelevance in most of the country is a model we should follow.

Hurling has so much inequality they don't just have 2 tiers they have 5 tiers. 4 of which nobody gives a stuff about. I have no idea why football supporters want to follow that path?

full moon

What classifies as a success for Tailteann Cup supporters?

Attendance? Will be very poor

Player availability? Many seem to be returning to clubs or going abroad to America etc

TV or Media coverage? Will be virtually none barring the couple games on TV.

Less drubbings in Sam Maguire? We've had plenty so far already even last weekend

Milltown Row2

Quote from: full moon on May 04, 2022, 12:57:23 PM

I don't care about Hurling, much like most of the country. It's a minority sport with about what 12 teams out of 36 involved in the Liam McCarthy?

I don't actually think following Hurling down the garden path to irrelevance in most of the country is a model we should follow.

Hurling has so much inequality they don't just have 2 tiers they have 5 tiers. 4 of which nobody gives a stuff about. I have no idea why football supporters want to follow that path?

I know its a minority sport in Cavan, lets just leave it at that.

The format of tiers is acceptable in all levels of sport,  there just has to be a better carrot for this competition.

Do players or real supporters get hung up on how much media they get or don't get?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

full moon

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on May 04, 2022, 01:27:29 PM

The format of tiers is acceptable in all levels of sport,  there just has to be a better carrot for this competition.

Do players or real supporters get hung up on how much media they get or don't get?

It's not just Cavan, it's virtually all of Ulster and Connacht.

I'm not against hurling but the people in charge and top counties are happy to let it dwindle in obscurity outside the top tier.

I don't think that should be applauded and something to copy.

Rossfan

Doubt it.
Highly unlikely.
In Roscommon there are no reports on Co League games or the group stages of the JFC yet people play in them.
Gaaboard.com has 8 pages on Tailteann and only 4 on Qualifiers.
Does that count? ;D
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

johnnycool

Quote from: full moon on May 04, 2022, 02:20:49 PM

It's not just Cavan, it's virtually all of Ulster and Connacht.

I'm not against hurling but the people in charge and top counties are happy to let it dwindle in obscurity outside the top tier.

I don't think that should be applauded and something to copy.

If Cavan as a County board voted for the implementation of tiered hurling they can have no complaints when Kilkenny vote for tiered football, that's my point plus if you agree with the principal of a tiered intercounty competition then you can have no complaints about a tiered football competition.

You've very much a point on this as I've said manys a time the Christy Ring and Nicky Rackard finals were removed from AI semi-final days in Croke Park under the watchful eye of a "hurling man" GAA president in Nicky Brennan from Kilkenny.

Hence why I get pissed off by these lads sitting in studios in Dublin or Thurles telling us what's needed to develop hurling outside the elite when they haven't a puff of an idea.

Eire90

does anyone care about division 4 football or even just league football or even football at all excerpt gaa followers  a lot of fans jump on  a banwagon  once they get into a semi final especially in tyrone

Horse Box

Quote from: full moon on May 04, 2022, 11:04:38 AM
Quote from: snoopdog on May 04, 2022, 10:16:54 AM
Any idea what the GAA will charge into this  opposition. If its the same price as a championship game then the crowds will be poor. I'd say 10 euro would be plenty and free for u16s.

It could be free for everyone and there will be nobody at it. The attendances for Division 3/4 teams this year were very small.

Most teams had no travelling supporters in Division 4.

Don`t know where you are getting this info from , Tipp Supporters took a Bus to every away game and many travelled by car . Every game in Semple had away support including a large contingent from London !