Author Topic: Tyrone 0-10 Derry 1-18 - Ulster SFC 2022 Quarter Final, Sunday 1st May  (Read 18882 times)

J70

• View Profile
R
What did Derry do tactically which was different form last year? At first glance I'd have said more direct with their own kickouts and pressed the Tyrone kickout more often then they would have done last year.

Not much, just doing it better. They also seem to attacking in numbers more, Gallagher was very much concerned with making sure everyone was pushing up when they had possession. Also, they seemed to move players around alot which seemed to confuse Tyrone as players didn't know who to pick up. Meyler in particular found himself in places where we didn't want him. In general though, the most frustrating thing from a Tyrone perspective is that we would have known what Derry were going to bring and we still couldn't cope with it.

Thats quite a bit of change/progress then? all the talk of derry not having enough scorers well blown out of the water. McKindless to mf on Kennedy was a master stroke.

Was surprised by how attack minded Derry were.  Haven't seen much of them under Gallagher but assumed they would sit very deep and do the slow patient build up thing. But they attacked Tyrone at every opportunity with real purpose.  Great movement with the likes of Glass up and down the pitch, one minute in midflield, the next in his own backline helping out, and getting forward.  Tyrone were flat but Derry were magnificent and it would be great to see another team break through.

That's my feeling on it.

We all get riled up during these games and with the rivalries, and it lessens the chances of one's own county winning it, but isn't it much more exciting and much more fulfilling when you do manage to win it if there's more teams at the top level in the province?

I'd much rather win a tough Ulster championship every now and again than sleepwalk through the province every year as the likes of Dublin and Kerry do.

Even our own win in 2018 - we beat Cavan, Derry, Down and Fermanagh to win it because Monaghan beat Tyrone before getting sucker-punched by Fermanagh on the other side of the draw. Our tightest game was a six point victory over Derry. It was an unexpected and welcome Ulster title, but probably the handiest and least satisfying one we ever got.

Eire90

• View Profile
every team is still in the all ireland its  just  some teams have to make it to a provincial final to stay in kind of makes the league more important for teams in division 3 and 2 want to have two bites i of the cherry well then make sure you dont get relegated or if in division 3 then make sure you get promoted.

rrhf

• View Profile
R
What did Derry do tactically which was different form last year? At first glance I'd have said more direct with their own kickouts and pressed the Tyrone kickout more often then they would have done last year.

Not much, just doing it better. They also seem to attacking in numbers more, Gallagher was very much concerned with making sure everyone was pushing up when they had possession. Also, they seemed to move players around alot which seemed to confuse Tyrone as players didn't know who to pick up. Meyler in particular found himself in places where we didn't want him. In general though, the most frustrating thing from a Tyrone perspective is that we would have known what Derry were going to bring and we still couldn't cope with it.

Thats quite a bit of change/progress then? all the talk of derry not having enough scorers well blown out of the water. McKindless to mf on Kennedy was a master stroke.

Was surprised by how attack minded Derry were.  Haven't seen much of them under Gallagher but assumed they would sit very deep and do the slow patient build up thing. But they attacked Tyrone at every opportunity with real purpose.  Great movement with the likes of Glass up and down the pitch, one minute in midflield, the next in his own backline helping out, and getting forward.  Tyrone were flat but Derry were magnificent and it would be great to see another team break through.

That's my feeling on it.

We all get riled up during these games and with the rivalries, and it lessens the chances of one's own county winning it, but isn't it much more exciting and much more fulfilling when you do manage to win it if there's more teams at the top level in the province?

I'd much rather win a tough Ulster championship every now and again than sleepwalk through the province every year as the likes of Dublin and Kerry do.

Even our own win in 2018 - we beat Cavan, Derry, Down and Fermanagh to win it because Monaghan beat Tyrone before getting sucker-punched by Fermanagh on the other side of the draw. Our tightest game was a six point victory over Derry. It was an unexpected and welcome Ulster title, but probably the handiest and least satisfying one we ever got.
Have to say it. Derry were outstanding. If you look at the quality of the teams left, Cavan Ulster champions from 2 years ago are probably the outside bet. Donegal, Monaghan and Derry are in superb shape.  Tyrone - last years champions are gone because they were not up to scratch, and may arguably have a better chance in the all Ireland than they would have had of winning Ulster. The Ulster championship is a superb competition and long may it continue to bring the thrills and spills.  Its a bit like the Tyrone club championship within the all Ireland context..

rrhf

• View Profile
Until they kicked the running game out of him...

tbrick18

• View Profile
R

That's my feeling on it.

Have to say it. Derry were outstanding. If you look at the quality of the teams left, Cavan Ulster champions from 2 years ago are probably the outside bet. Donegal, Monaghan and Derry are in superb shape.  Tyrone - last years champions are gone because they were not up to scratch, and may arguably have a better chance in the all Ireland than they would have had of winning Ulster. The Ulster championship is a superb competition and long may it continue to bring the thrills and spills.  Its a bit like the Tyrone club championship within the all Ireland context..

That's a fair comment.
If Derry can maintain that level of performance when up against Monaghan, who won't collapse in the same way Tyrone did, we have a chance of making an Ulster final.
We're still a bit of an unknown quantity though, imo. Its difficult to know where we stand due to Tyrone being so poor on the day.
Until we play against Monaghan who will bring a different level of intensity to the game for a full 70 mins, we won't really know what level we are at. There is a different feel about this Derry squad though.
I'd still have us as underdogs against Monaghan.
Realistically though, of the 4 teams left in Ulster, any of them could win it. Monaghan and Donegal still joint favourites in my view.

restorepride

• View Profile
You could see Colin Walsh employed on Rodgers for as long as possible given his influence on Sunday. Or definitely a defender.