Author Topic: Tyrone 0-10 Derry 1-18 - Ulster SFC 2022 Quarter Final, Sunday 1st May  (Read 18826 times)

clarshack

• View Profile
Re: Tyrone vs. Derry - Ulster SFC 2022 Quarter Final, Sunday 1st May
« Reply #30 on: April 25, 2022, 02:37:04 PM »
Heard Fermanagh had lads leave the panel the day after the Tyrone defeat as they'll be for America and the $$$ ... lads who leave a county panel in this way should have to pay back the grant funding they've had for mileage, sports supplements, boots, etc. In the interests of equality of course. Grant funding comes from the government and supporters, we're all paying for it and the system is being abused, a bit of respect for those who lay on this level of support wouldn't go amiss, as one GPA rep said recently, if you're not speaking up you're part of the problem

Regards to the topic at hand, is there any footage online of the 2006 game in Omagh

Was a bit of a narrative on here a few years ago that Derry were thugish on the day

As a Tyrone supporter my recollection was Tyrone weren't up for the game and got completely outplayed, team selection didn't help but it was Tyrone who were ill disciplined and frankly all over the shop on the day

Would like to see some highlights, hopefully something surfaces this week in the lead up to the game

That was it 100% and missing O'Neill and McGuigan probably didn't help matters as well as Hughes getting the line.

Derry played a version of the blanket defence that day as well it was a fairly poor game of football with Derry holding Tyrone scoreless for the first half. It was a great win but then we were shite against Donegal and then went out to Longford!

I remember a real eerie Healy Park before the throw in. It was as if the spectators knew what was coming. Tyrone players out on the pitch walking about. I actually rang one of them for a chat! Tyrone were dire and completely flat. Derry deserved to win but because they were terrible for the rest of the season the win was rarely spoken about.

The fact that the players and fans celebrated as if they had won the all Ireland was a good fore warning of what was to come

very much like Armagh beating Tyrone in league game back in February.

oakleaflad

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 25, 2022, 02:41:09 PM »
Heard Fermanagh had lads leave the panel the day after the Tyrone defeat as they'll be for America and the $$$ ... lads who leave a county panel in this way should have to pay back the grant funding they've had for mileage, sports supplements, boots, etc. In the interests of equality of course. Grant funding comes from the government and supporters, we're all paying for it and the system is being abused, a bit of respect for those who lay on this level of support wouldn't go amiss, as one GPA rep said recently, if you're not speaking up you're part of the problem

Regards to the topic at hand, is there any footage online of the 2006 game in Omagh

Was a bit of a narrative on here a few years ago that Derry were thugish on the day

As a Tyrone supporter my recollection was Tyrone weren't up for the game and got completely outplayed, team selection didn't help but it was Tyrone who were ill disciplined and frankly all over the shop on the day

Would like to see some highlights, hopefully something surfaces this week in the lead up to the game

That was it 100% and missing O'Neill and McGuigan probably didn't help matters as well as Hughes getting the line.

Derry played a version of the blanket defence that day as well it was a fairly poor game of football with Derry holding Tyrone scoreless for the first half. It was a great win but then we were shite against Donegal and then went out to Longford!

I remember a real eerie Healy Park before the throw in. It was as if the spectators knew what was coming. Tyrone players out on the pitch walking about. I actually rang one of them for a chat! Tyrone were dire and completely flat. Derry deserved to win but because they were terrible for the rest of the season the win was rarely spoken about.

The fact that the players and fans celebrated as if they had won the all Ireland was a good fore warning of what was to come

I don't remember that much celebrating, though I think any time will celebrate if they've just beaten the AI champions.
I don't remember that much either, certainly no more than you'd expect after just beating the AI champions, most likely because it didn't happen.

oakleaflad

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 25, 2022, 02:43:03 PM »
On the game itself this weekend i'm struggling to see a way we can win it. Not enough scoring power. Even if we manage to keep it tight for a half i'd expect Tyrone to win comfortably enough in the end.

God14

• it aint over til its over
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 25, 2022, 03:38:25 PM »
genuine question.... Have Derry beaten Tyrone in a senior competitive fixture since that game in 06?

screenexile

• Up The Screen!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 25, 2022, 03:50:09 PM »
genuine question.... Have Derry beaten Tyrone in a senior competitive fixture since that game in 06?

God14

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 25, 2022, 04:04:57 PM »
thanks screenexile

I was actually at the 2008 NFL one, now you mention it

rrhf

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 25, 2022, 05:14:21 PM »
Very tricky Derry team, packed with confidence in their highly valued manager  and themselves as.a.team.  Might be a year or two away from winning an all ireland but won't be overawed by playing the holders this Sunday. First game of the year where all managers have lifted Sam Maguire.. Derry will try to shut down the likes.of Mc Curry etc but the big scores could come from further out the field.. Gallagher has succeeded.in uniting the county for the first time since the 90s.  Has them pushing the right road. Derry could benefit more than tyrone in the back door but they need an Ulster title soon. Hard one to call..

An Watcher

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 25, 2022, 06:57:47 PM »
Great to see our neighbours back.  When I think of those battles in the 90s, great days.  Home advantage doesn't always help Tyrone, I almost prefer clones.  Don't know much about this derry team but hopefully we get the right result and a decent performance before monaghan

redcard

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 25, 2022, 07:27:09 PM »

I don't remember that much celebrating, though I think any time will celebrate if they've just beaten the AI champions.
I don't remember that much either, certainly no more than you'd expect after just beating the AI champions, most likely because it didn't happen.

https://www.irishnews.com/sport/gaafootball/2016/05/21/news/the-day-derry-shook-up-all-ireland-champions-tyrone-in-healy-park-527174/

Crozier had this to say:

“At the end of the day, Tyrone was our All-Ireland final,” says Crozier.

“We took our eye off the ball after that game. Donegal beat us and they probably prepared for us the way we prepared for Tyrone.”

HOW THEY LINED OUT IN 2006
Tyrone: P McConnell; R McMenamin, C McGinley, C Gourley; D Harte (0-1), C Gormley, P Jordan; C Holmes, P Donnelly; (0-1, ’45); B Dooher, S Cavanagh, R Mulgrew; R Mellon, K Hughes, O Mulligan (0-2 frees); Subs: J McMahon (0-1) for Holmes (h/t), M Penrose for Mulgrew (h/t), E McGinley for Mellon (53), D Carlin for Gourley (53), B Meenan for Cavanagh (66)
Derry: B Gillis; K McGuckin, K McCloy, F McEldowney; L Hinphey, P McFlynn, J O’Kane (0-1); J McBride, F Doherty; M Lynch, B McGoldrick, J Diver, E Muldoon (1-3, 0-3 frees) , P Bradley (0-3, 0-1 free), E Bradley (0-1); Subs: G Donaghy for McEldowney (43), F Crossan for O’Kane (57), D McIlvar for Diver (70)
Referee: D Coldrick (Meath)
Attendance: 18,150

tbrick18

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 25, 2022, 10:09:51 PM »
Very tricky Derry team, packed with confidence in their highly valued manager  and themselves as.a.team.  Might be a year or two away from winning an all ireland but won't be overawed by playing the holders this Sunday. First game of the year where all managers have lifted Sam Maguire.. Derry will try to shut down the likes.of Mc Curry etc but the big scores could come from further out the field.. Gallagher has succeeded.in uniting the county for the first time since the 90s.  Has them pushing the right road. Derry could benefit more than tyrone in the back door but they need an Ulster title soon. Hard one to call..

I would have agreed before we played Roscommon and Galway and before Mcfaul left the panel.
Now rumours of mckinless leaving too, I wouldn't give us much of a chance now.
I don't know where we'd get the scores from. Maybe if we can keep it ultra low scoring we can nip it by a point...I'd take a 7-6 victory :)

Fear ón Srath Bán

• View Profile
    • Cumann Mhic Sioghair CLG, An Srath Bán
« Reply #40 on: April 25, 2022, 11:44:41 PM »
Conor Mc Kenna cleared for this one, as if it were ever in any real doubt.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Wildweasel74

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 26, 2022, 12:05:47 AM »
So on what point did he get off on?

Fear ón Srath Bán

• View Profile
    • Cumann Mhic Sioghair CLG, An Srath Bán
« Reply #42 on: April 26, 2022, 12:15:14 AM »
Possibly because it was never a red card in the first instance.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Under Lights

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 26, 2022, 06:40:27 AM »
PH for Michael O'Neill is the only change I expect from the first day out

God14

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 26, 2022, 07:58:58 AM »
PH for Michael O'Neill is the only change I expect from the first day out

Id agree with that. McKenna a nice impact sub to introduce second half with his pace & direct running.