Author Topic: Tyrone 0-10 Derry 1-18 - Ulster SFC 2022 Quarter Final, Sunday 1st May  (Read 18823 times)

screenexile

• Up The Screen!
    • View Profile
Re: Tyrone vs. Derry - Ulster SFC 2022 Quarter Final, Sunday 1st May
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2022, 09:33:11 AM »
I just don't see how we can win this game. I hope I'm wrong but we need another 2-3 scoring forwards and we just don't have it especially with McFaul gone. If McKinless is gone too that's another threat from deep that will be missing.

You'd hope that we will be well up for the game and we put in a performance but Tyrone are further along the road than we are so I expect them to win.

However it's much the same circumstances as 2006 so there's always a possibility we could cause an upset!

Wildweasel74

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2022, 09:39:36 AM »
We had a few forwards in 2006, not much now. ain't impressed players dropping off after playing through the league. Heard the money involved with guys going to America, probably find it hard to turn down myself if the price I hear true.

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2022, 09:45:32 AM »
We had a few forwards in 2006, not much now. ain't impressed players dropping off after playing through the league. Heard the money involved with guys going to America, probably find it hard to turn down myself if the price I hear true.

The GAA should be clamping down on this shite in the states through their association/clubs there, its against everything we stand for

tiempo

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2022, 10:02:02 AM »
Heard Fermanagh had lads leave the panel the day after the Tyrone defeat as they'll be for America and the $$$ ... lads who leave a county panel in this way should have to pay back the grant funding they've had for mileage, sports supplements, boots, etc. In the interests of equality of course. Grant funding comes from the government and supporters, we're all paying for it and the system is being abused, a bit of respect for those who lay on this level of support wouldn't go amiss, as one GPA rep said recently, if you're not speaking up you're part of the problem

Regards to the topic at hand, is there any footage online of the 2006 game in Omagh

Was a bit of a narrative on here a few years ago that Derry were thugish on the day

As a Tyrone supporter my recollection was Tyrone weren't up for the game and got completely outplayed, team selection didn't help but it was Tyrone who were ill disciplined and frankly all over the shop on the day

Would like to see some highlights, hopefully something surfaces this week in the lead up to the game

RedHand88

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2022, 10:09:19 AM »
Heard Fermanagh had lads leave the panel the day after the Tyrone defeat as they'll be for America and the $$$ ... lads who leave a county panel in this way should have to pay back the grant funding they've had for mileage, sports supplements, boots, etc. In the interests of equality of course. Grant funding comes from the government and supporters, we're all paying for it and the system is being abused, a bit of respect for those who lay on this level of support wouldn't go amiss, as one GPA rep said recently, if you're not speaking up you're part of the problem

Regards to the topic at hand, is there any footage online of the 2006 game in Omagh

Was a bit of a narrative on here a few years ago that Derry were thugish on the day

As a Tyrone supporter my recollection was Tyrone weren't up for the game and got completely outplayed, team selection didn't help but it was Tyrone who were ill disciplined and frankly all over the shop on the day

Would like to see some highlights, hopefully something surfaces this week in the lead up to the game

Why? They haven't signed a contract or anything.

twohands!!!

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2022, 10:19:53 AM »

I was just looking at the rules re transfers - any of the 26 named on the team-sheet can't get a transfer to the US, unless they have a student J1 and even then their transfer can only be approved once Fermanagh are out of the championship.

A player who has been included on an InterCounty Senior Championship list submitted to the Referee, in accordance with Rules of Specification 2.5 (ii)(a) for a game in the current year’s Championship shall not be eligible to be accepted for Registration as a member of any Club in the USGAA Board Jurisdiction.

Exception - A player who has been included on an Inter-County Senior Championship list submitted to the Referee, in accordance with Rules of Specification 2.5 (ii)(a), for a game in the current year’s Championship, who holds a valid current J1 Visa or who is eligible for a J1 Visa and who obtains an Official J1 Sanction may be accepted for registration.

Such a player may only have his J1 Sanction approved once his team have been eliminated from the Senior Inter-County Championship (including All-Ireland qualifier games).
The J1 Visa concerned with this Exception is the J1 Work and Travel Programme Visa only – i.e. the four-month Visa for 3rd Level Students.

https://www.gaa.ie/api/pdfs/image/upload/ppactrpwjcyjus1m6dj8.pdf

Under Lights

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2022, 10:23:05 AM »

Thought the rule in States was that you are only eligible if you haven't played in the intercounty championship here? We have seen this with various players opting out after league to go to States. Maybe the Fermanagh lads are just going travelling, how dare they

Armagh18

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2022, 10:53:21 AM »

Thought the rule in States was that you are only eligible if you haven't played in the intercounty championship here? We have seen this with various players opting out after league to go to States. Maybe the Fermanagh lads are just going travelling, how dare they
My thoughts would be why bother committing for half a year? Where they really expecting to beat Tyrone? Surely they have something to look forward to in Tailteann where they have a chance of winning the thing!

screenexile

• Up The Screen!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2022, 11:01:20 AM »

That was it 100% and missing O'Neill and McGuigan probably didn't help matters as well as Hughes getting the line.

Derry played a version of the blanket defence that day as well it was a fairly poor game of football with Derry holding Tyrone scoreless for the first half. It was a great win but then we were shite against Donegal and then went out to Longford!

nrico2006

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2022, 11:57:55 AM »

What I remember before the Derry game in 2006 was that it was probably the championship game that Tyrone were most affected by injuries, in my lifetime.  The team was a shell of the side that won the All Ireland just months before.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

sensethetone

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 25, 2022, 12:33:26 PM »

What I remember before the Derry game in 2006 was that it was probably the championship game that Tyrone were most affected by injuries, in my lifetime.  The team was a shell of the side that won the All Ireland just months before.

Hughes got sent of for what the Armagh full back got booked for yesterday. The loup guy Devlin had the shit scared out off Mulgrew without even doing anything(kudos).

tbrick18

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 25, 2022, 12:36:17 PM »

That was it 100% and missing O'Neill and McGuigan probably didn't help matters as well as Hughes getting the line.

Derry played a version of the blanket defence that day as well it was a fairly poor game of football with Derry holding Tyrone scoreless for the first half. It was a great win but then we were shite against Donegal and then went out to Longford!

I remember the late Eamon Coleman made an appearance before the game too, apparently gave a rousing team talk before the match. It was a combination of Derry being highly motivated and had a gameplan of man marking Sean Cavanagh (Liam Hinphey totally dominated him), tyrone missing a few players and making numerous mistakes.
Derry really underachieved that year....as with many years. We had the players, imo, just not the consistency or management required.

Bad as the Donegal game was, the defeat against Longford is one of the most sickening results I've ever witnessed.

trailer

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 25, 2022, 12:50:53 PM »

I remember a real eerie Healy Park before the throw in. It was as if the spectators knew what was coming. Tyrone players out on the pitch walking about. I actually rang one of them for a chat! Tyrone were dire and completely flat. Derry deserved to win but because they were terrible for the rest of the season the win was rarely spoken about.

redcard

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 25, 2022, 01:04:01 PM »

I remember a real eerie Healy Park before the throw in. It was as if the spectators knew what was coming. Tyrone players out on the pitch walking about. I actually rang one of them for a chat! Tyrone were dire and completely flat. Derry deserved to win but because they were terrible for the rest of the season the win was rarely spoken about.

The fact that the players and fans celebrated as if they had won the all Ireland was a good fore warning of what was to come

tbrick18

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 25, 2022, 02:32:55 PM »

The fact that the players and fans celebrated as if they had won the all Ireland was a good fore warning of what was to come

I don't remember that much celebrating, though I think any time will celebrate if they've just beaten the AI champions.