Connacht u20 Final Venue?

Started by SLIGONIAN, April 15, 2022, 05:39:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rossfan

Long standing convention in Connacht of home and away arrangements at all grades. Don't know if there are any written by laws on the matter.
Exception being Connacht Senior Finals involving Sligo or Leitrim where a neutral venue is used.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Itchy

Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on April 17, 2022, 12:08:31 PM
Quote from: Itchy on April 17, 2022, 09:50:55 AM
Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on April 16, 2022, 10:53:17 PM
Fair play to Sligo. Unacceptable that a provincial final goes to a training ground to suit television. But it's my bollocks that a provincial final goes to one of the worst stadiums in the country because 'tradition' dictates the counties alternate.

That said, this whole broader thing is a mess. Teams dictating venues games because they traditionally alternate, games not in X  there are no lights and it's an evening game on the box etc.  Nonsense.

A provincial final is in X on date Y at Z o'clock and that is cast in stone 6 months before a ball is thrown in. End of. 

All county grounds should get a rating and the scale of games you get to play at home is dictated by the quality and size of the venue.

Markievicz is a totally adequate ground to host a u20 provincial final. Are you saying it is one of the worst stadiums?

I'm sure it is. But did the authorities designate it the final venue in advance or just make it up as they go along? Sligo shouldn't have a say here beyond balloon park not being suitable

No, the named the venue a week ago as I understand it so it wasn't named in advance.  I don't believe any province is naming u20 final venues in advance until they see who is in the final.

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: Itchy on April 17, 2022, 01:24:02 PM
Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on April 17, 2022, 12:08:31 PM
Quote from: Itchy on April 17, 2022, 09:50:55 AM
Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on April 16, 2022, 10:53:17 PM
Fair play to Sligo. Unacceptable that a provincial final goes to a training ground to suit television. But it's my bollocks that a provincial final goes to one of the worst stadiums in the country because 'tradition' dictates the counties alternate.

That said, this whole broader thing is a mess. Teams dictating venues games because they traditionally alternate, games not in X  there are no lights and it's an evening game on the box etc.  Nonsense.

A provincial final is in X on date Y at Z o'clock and that is cast in stone 6 months before a ball is thrown in. End of. 

All county grounds should get a rating and the scale of games you get to play at home is dictated by the quality and size of the venue.

Markievicz is a totally adequate ground to host a u20 provincial final. Are you saying it is one of the worst stadiums?

I'm sure it is. But did the authorities designate it the final venue in advance or just make it up as they go along? Sligo shouldn't have a say here beyond balloon park not being suitable

No, the named the venue a week ago as I understand it so it wasn't named in advance.  I don't believe any province is naming u20 final venues in advance until they see who is in the final.

And that's nonsense. Pick a venue. You can alternate them or whatever, but a team having a veto over a finals location, admittedly a wrong call, is nonsense.

Farrandeelin

Quote from: Rossfan on April 17, 2022, 12:14:32 PM
Long standing convention in Connacht of home and away arrangements at all grades. Don't know if there are any written by laws on the matter.
Exception being Connacht Senior Finals involving Sligo or Leitrim where a neutral venue is used.

Generally Hyde Park.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Rossfan

Likely it won't arise this year until we get some of the Hyde works done to increase the allowed capacity.
We're currently banned from having Finals.

sligoman2

I have watched 3 live games from Bekan Outdoors

Mayo v Sligo U17 2 years ago
Roscommon V Sligo in the U17 final 2 years ago
Mayo V Galway U20 this year

In every game the conditions were absolutely brutal, gale force winds, hailstones, rain etc..  The place must be on top of a mountain or something because it's very exposed.

We all know that Prunty and Co have pulled this stunt in the past and fair play to Sligo for sticking to their guns and fair play to the Mayo fans and everyone else for recognizing the fact that they tried to screw us and backing our stance.

May the best team win in the correct grounds - full stop..
I used to be indecisive but now I'm not too sure.

whitey

Quote from: sligoman2 on April 18, 2022, 02:33:30 PM

In every game the conditions were absolutely brutal, gale force winds, hailstones, rain etc..  The place must be on top of a mountain or something because it's very exposed.

We all know that Prunty and Co have pulled this stunt in the past and fair play to Sligo for sticking to their guns and fair play to the Mayo fans and everyone else for recognizing the fact that they tried to screw us and backing our stance.

Mayo fans are still bitter from the time of the Limerick debacle, so they fully back any other team who get shafted on a venue change

rosnarun

Quote from: whitey on April 18, 2022, 02:56:22 PM

Mayo fans are still bitter from the time of the Limerick debacle, so they fully back any other team who get shafted on a venue change
WhatBSwhat mayo poster backe beakan here?
Mind you everyone seems to have missed the point of it being in Bekan
the cause of all this is the 'MUST BE WON ON THE DAY RULE'  The COE has flood lights Marky park does not. The game has been brought forward by an hour and a half to 6pm  in order to allow the bastardization of the game ; Penalties shot out'
Now many people including Myself  will either need a half day from work or to watch it on telly
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

Cunny Funt

Quote from: rosnarun on April 19, 2022, 12:55:05 PM
Quote from: whitey on April 18, 2022, 02:56:22 PM

WhatBSwhat mayo poster backe beakan here?
Mind you everyone seems to have missed the point of it being in Bekan
the cause of all this is the 'MUST BE WON ON THE DAY RULE'  The COE has flood lights Marky park does not. The game has been brought forward by an hour and a half to 6pm  in order to allow the bastardization of the game ; Penalties shot out'
Now many people including Myself  will either need a half day from work or to watch it on telly

That problem would be solved by playing this final on Saturday or Sunday. The All-Ireland semi finals aren't on until May 7th/8th a Saturday or Sunday.

Rossfan

Correct Cunny and the Semis last (4 day) weekend.

rosnarun

Quote from: Rossfan on April 19, 2022, 03:31:31 PM
Except there is a cabal againt underage competitions being taken seriously  in the GAA
Some thing to be Run off as quickly as possible with little of no fanfare of publicity yet surely Offaly winning the undr 20's last year was the best news Story the GAA had in years

Rossfan

Quote from: rosnarun on April 20, 2022, 08:54:13 AM
Except there is a cabal againt underage competitions being taken seriously  in the GAA
Some thing to be Run off as quickly as possible with little of no fanfare of publicity yet surely Offaly winning the undr 20's last year was the best news Story the GAA had in years
Not in Roscommon!!
But yer point is valid.
The u20 and  u21 before it  gave us some wonderful games over the years, but few people get to see them.
They're "run off" in a 6 or 7 week blitz.

They call u20 a Development grade but then make it knock out meaning half the players get 1 game.

rosnarun

Quote from: Rossfan on April 20, 2022, 10:47:19 AM
Not in Roscommon!!
But yer point is valid.
The u20 and  u21 before it  gave us some wonderful games over the years, but few people get to see them.

They call u20 a Development grade but then make it knock out meaning half the players get 1 game.

I think its at provincial level and Above that really dont seem to give a shit about maybe they have an attitude of if he was any good he'd be playing senior.
Really looking forward to the match today but with this sort of crap i can understand why half the county hardly know its on.
less if there wasnt a row

Cunny Funt

Quote from: rosnarun on April 20, 2022, 12:46:27 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on April 20, 2022, 10:47:19 AM
Not in Roscommon!!
But yer point is valid.

I think its at provincial level and Above that really dont seem to give a shit about maybe they have an attitude of if he was any good he'd be playing senior.
Really looking forward to the match today but with this sort of crap i can understand why half the county hardly know its on.
less if there wasnt a row
comes from HQ mostly, was nothing wrong with the U21 grade and ideal step towards senior level for many players but they convinced enough delegates to scrap that grade for U20.  Four years on they now want to scrap the U20 grade for U19.