Offally U14 Shenanigans

Started by Baile Brigín 2, April 07, 2022, 03:06:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

laoislad

Dinosaurs are alive and well and running U14 development squads in Offaly I see.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: themac_23 on April 08, 2022, 11:55:29 AM
Its an U14 'Development Squad' if its for developing players then it should be treated as such. the young lads in question are probably better off out of it, if they're playing club football and also playing soccer thats plenty for them. they'll be getting plenty of training and game time over them 2 squads and when they're a bit older ie under 17/18 they'll be back in the county fold for minor if they're good enough. Kids should be encouraged to go and play as much games as they can, it'll make them far better players.

We can't seriously have a situation where a 13 year old gets kicked off a county panel (and development squad is MBA speak for that) because they miss one training.

This gets curious as the parents claim they notified the coaches and were told no bother.

Every single one of us at the various levels we played at missed training the odd time. Life gets in the way, people get injured or sick.

Don Cockburn

Quote from: laoislad on April 08, 2022, 12:26:08 PM
Dinosaurs are alive and well and running U14 development squads in Offaly I see.
Soccer and rugby teams do it as well but it doesn't seem to attract the same outrage.

Children at that age should be encouraged to play a range sports. Dinosaurs shouldn't be tolerated in any sporting body.

trueblue1234

Has the Offaly management commented on this? I think it's so unreal that I'd like to think there is something more to this. If not,  the management should hang their heads. Unbelievable decision.
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: trueblue1234 on April 08, 2022, 12:56:55 PM
Has the Offaly management commented on this? I think it's so unreal that I'd like to think there is something more to this. If not,  the management should hang their heads. Unbelievable decision.

Not commenting on individual cases but back management 100%

clonadmad

It's all the dinosaurs in the Gah who do this

2 u13's told if they were joining a Dublin school boy club to give up all other sport as a condition of them joining

Currently 5 u15's in Offaly barred by Athlone Town from playing GAA

GAA as per usual held to a different standard than the rugby and soccer

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: clonadmad on April 08, 2022, 03:55:53 PM

2 u13's told if they were joining a Dublin school boy club to give up all other sport as a condition of them joining

Unsourced whataboutery

Bord na Mona man

It's a pity to see that players can't be accommodated, especially when it's such a big match for them.
Declan Kelly is strict on this though. Last year for the U20s he made no concessions to players who wanted to play hurling.
A couple of the leading footballers in the county were off the panel because of their desire to also play hurling.
He won the All Ireland, so will see it is vindication of his stance.

The fallout is predictable with the usual reactions from the usual suspects.

Armagh18

Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on April 08, 2022, 04:54:47 PM

Unsourced whataboutery
It's definitely not whataboutery and is fairly common knowledge. Doesn't make what the Offaly management have done right but still happens.

clonadmad

Unsourced whataboutery

Except it's not,in the instance of the 2 u13's I can name both the players the soccer club and the manager as the manager was my brother in law

If my claim about the 5 u15s in Clara is wrong

prove me wrong

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: clonadmad on April 08, 2022, 05:34:44 PM

Unsourced whataboutery

Except it's not,in the instance of the 2 u13's I can name both the players the soccer club and the manager as the manager was my brother in law

prove me wrong

You made a claim. It's up to you to validate it

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: Armagh18 on April 08, 2022, 05:32:37 PM

Unsourced whataboutery
It's definitely not whataboutery and is fairly common knowledge. Doesn't make what the Offaly management have done right but still happens.

It is by definition whataboutery.

Can you link to an example of soccer or rugby axing kids for playing another sport. Just one.

Bord na Mona man

Quote from: clonadmad on April 08, 2022, 05:34:44 PM

Unsourced whataboutery

prove me wrong
I presume this is referring to the same?
https://twitter.com/pauldeeh19/status/1512177760088829957

I'm not sure what more evidence is needed as I'd also know those involved and it stacks up.

I'd expect BB2 is in denial of anything that might run counter his perma-victim mindset when it comes to Irish domestic soccer.

clonadmad

Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on April 08, 2022, 06:31:52 PM
Quote from: Armagh18 on April 08, 2022, 05:32:37 PM

Unsourced whataboutery

It is by definition whataboutery.

Can you link to an example of soccer or rugby axing kids for playing another sport. Just one.

There you go

https://twitter.com/hughnaughton/status/1512232380341399570?s=21&t=9CdB9xfXsly1UON5sVNLmA

dec

Quote from: bigarsedkeeper on April 08, 2022, 11:59:03 AM
but it's proven in professional sports that playing multi sports at youth level makes for a better rounded athlete at adult level.

It the US the school sports seasons are fairly short. A typical schedule is Fall Football , Winter Basketball and Spring Baseball

Many of the top pro players played multiple sports when they were in school, usually only specializing when they get to college.