Connacht SFC 2022

Started by Rossfan, April 04, 2022, 09:07:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rossfan

I suppose all that's in question next Sunday is the margin of victory  :-\
Be nice if Laythrums could keep it to single figures but keeping it under 20 will be the best they can hope for sadly.

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Blowitupref

Leitrim published team for Sunday.

1. Brendan Flynn

2. Mark Diffley

3. Donal Casey

4. Paddy Maguire

5. James Rooney

6. Shane Quinn

7. David Bruen (Captain)

8. Donal Wrynn

9. Pearce Dolan

10. Conor Dolan

11. Mark Plunkett

12. Riordan O Rourke

13. Ryan O Rourke

14. Shane Moran

15. Domhnaill Flynn
Subs

16. Nevin O Donnell

17. Conor Reynolds

18. Cillian McGloin

19. Emlyn Mulligan

20. Conor Farrell

21. Evan Sweeney

22. Dean McGovern

23. Keith Beirne

24. Ciaran Cullen

25. Jack Heslin

26. Tom Prior

Can imagine Keith Beirne back from suspension will be starting if fully fit.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

iorras

Sure Andy might tog himself

seafoid

Quote from: Rossfan on May 05, 2022, 11:26:03 AM
I suppose all that's in question next Sunday is the margin of victory  :-\
Be nice if Laythrums could keep it to single figures but keeping it under 20 will be the best they can hope for sadly.
The Laythrum cycle is about 60 years. 94 was the last time. And what a day it was.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cOiPqBGFG3w
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Blowitupref

Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Blowitupref

15 minutes played Galway 0-5 Leitrim 0-3.

HT Galway 0-12 Leitrim 0-5.

15 minutes to play. Galway 2-17 Leitrim 0-7

FT Galway 4-20 Leitrim 0-9. Galway stroll into the final and will be hard to beat in that final in this form.

Rossfan

The Final is on Sunday at 1 45.
Foregone conclusion per bookies , most pundits and most GAAboard predictors.
I may as well stay at home and wait for the Round 2 Qualifier.

An Fhairche Abu

No Galway supporter that is in their right mind considers this a foregone conclusion, as 50/50 a game as you could get. 
We've seen all types of results in this fixture since 2016, draws, huge wins for both sides, narrow wins, I couldn't predict what the result will be on Sunday. There's nothing between the sides and whatever about when they play Mayo, Rossies have zero fear of the maroon and white, last three championship games in Pearse Stadium: draw, win, win.
Galway will need to be totally up for this and playing well on Sunday to take the Nestor Cup, I absolutely think they can win it but it'll be no surprise or shock if Roscommon fans are invading the turf at full time either.

Blowitupref

Galway v Roscommon has developed into one of the best rivalries in this sport over the last 7 years.

This will be the 5th Connacht senior final between the two since 2016 with both having won 2 each.  NFL results Galway 2 Roscommon 2 in the last 4 matches even pre season the last 7 FBD finals was Galway v Roscommon and 4-3 in favour of Galway in wins there.

Connacht Underage the last decade (2012 to 2022)

U20/21 titles won

Galway 4 Roscommon 4

In that time frame Galway won two All-Ireland titles U21 in 2013 and U20 in 2020. Roscommon reached All-Ireland finals in 2012,2014 at U21 and U20 2021.

U17/18 Connacht titles won

Galway 4 Roscommon 3

Rossfan

Agree with the last 2 posters a 50/50 game there fir the winning.
Which ever team gets more things right on the day will prevail.
I think for once the weather is to be decent so should be a great game of Connacht football.

Maroon Manc

Odds don't reflect how close it is, Roscommon should be slight favourites.

Roscommon apparently did very well against Kerry in a challenge last Sunday, this looks like the strongest Roscommon panel in a long long time; Don't know if the Roscommon posters agree?

Interesting to see if Galway replicate the same tactics they used against Mayo.

Cunny Funt

Galway are favourites in odds (at least a two point win expected) because..

Galway have beaten Mayo in MacHale Park and the punters don't expect them to follow that up with a home loss to Roscommon.

Last years championship meeting Galway won by a few points to spare

The last meeting in Pearse Stadium (played last year in the Nfl) Galway won by a few points to spare.

The Derry factor and how good they look this far in the championship. Roscommon drew at home to Derry while Galway hammered Derry on their home patch

weareros

I do think the Derry Galway game was a once-off. They made a big mistake playing against the wind and game was over by half-time. It actually worked well for them the week before in Hyde Park so that probably played into their thinking. I'd say Derry would relish the chance to play Galway or Ros again, and indeed two of that trio could be provincial champions come Sunday with the potential of clashing in an All-Ireland semi. As for Sunday, it's a bit overused at this stage but it's 50/50, but also entirely possible that one team could win well. While the league means nothing, Kevin Egan's stat in Herald that Galway scored 0-10 to 1-3 in the league final when Shane Walsh came on will give Galway cause for comfort and Ros cause for worry. Galway do need their big 3 to play well to win. I do think we have a wider spread of players to take the lead if some of our key players have an off day. I don't expect AC to change his game plan, but Ros do struggle when a team packs defense and hit quickly on the attack - so I expect a more defensive approach from Padraig Joyce on Sunday.

galwayman

Quote from: Cunny Funt on May 26, 2022, 01:55:53 PM
Galway are favourites in odds (at least a two point win expected) because..

Galway have beaten Mayo in MacHale Park and the punters don't expect them to follow that up with a home loss to Roscommon.

Last years championship meeting Galway won by a few points to spare

The last meeting in Pearse Stadium (played last year in the Nfl) Galway won by a few points to spare.

The Derry factor and how good they look this far in the championship. Roscommon drew at home to Derry while Galway hammered Derry on their home patch
Very hard game to call.
Last year has zero relevance at all. I was at the game in Hyde Park last summer - Roscommon are unrecognisable from that mess in 2022.
We need Shane to have a big game I feel. He was flying at the start of the league but it seems picked up an injury after the Cork game and he hasn't been the same since.
From our perspective - it goes without saying we need to be solid defensively as Roscommon forwards are far superior to Mayo's.
Enda Smith for me is the key man for Ros. He needs to be shut down.

Cunny Funt

Quote from: galwayman on May 26, 2022, 02:31:51 PM

Very hard game to call.
Last year has zero relevance at all. I was at the game in Hyde Park last summer - Roscommon are unrecognisable from that mess in 2022.
We need Shane to have a big game I feel. He was flying at the start of the league but it seems picked up an injury after the Cork game and he hasn't been the same since.
From our perspective - it goes without saying we need to be solid defensively as Roscommon forwards are far superior to Mayo's.
Enda Smith for me is the key man for Ros. He needs to be shut down.

It very much has relevance in the minds of the punters that are laying on the cash. That championship meeting was just 9 months ago and won't be a big change in the two starting 15s. Roscommon going with perhaps 10 or 11 same starters and Galway 12 or 13.

Mayo forwards against Galway included C O'Connor a regular championship top scorer and Ryan O Donoghue in superb form. Galways good start 1-3 to 0-1 and holding Mayo to 0-11 for 67 minutes was key in that win.