Connacht SFC 2022

Started by Rossfan, April 04, 2022, 09:07:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Manning18

Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on April 26, 2022, 11:20:58 AM
Quote from: Maroon Manc on April 26, 2022, 10:59:01 AM
O'Connor very lucky not to get the line, that tackle on Patrick Kelly probably warranted a red card. Galway only had one free in the scoring zone on Sunday and that was a fairly soft on Walsh so you've got to give Mayo credit for their tackling or lack of fouling whichever way you look at it. Doherty & O'Connor both hit the ground under no pressure to win frees in the 1st half whilst the latter managed once again to con the referee with the black card O'Laoi received. Heard a lot of moaning about the referee and Galway time wasting but 3 times the referee told Galway to get on with game when the man was down injured.

Amazed that there is so much whinging from Mayo about the referee, he did his absolute level best for them on Sunday, what more did they want aside from several extremely soft, handy frees and Cillian allowed to continue on with his usual tricks in terms of "gamesmanship" and "mistimed tackling" with impunity. The injury layoff might have robbed him of full fitness and sharpness Sunday but he was straight back to top class form on those aspects.

It's absolutely amazing to read. In addition to the utter manure being shouted in by a section of the crowd repeatedly the last day

Black card, wasn't a black card. Cillian dived to win a free. James Carr double hopped before his point. Cillian dragged down, clear black buut didn't even get a yellow somehow. He then gets a yellow for a borderline red card offence. So somehow he stayed on the field. McLaughlin had a debatable black card offense for an off the ball challenge on McDaid, was probably 50/50, being kind to Mayo.

The lack of self awareness to even take a fraction of the above into account, especially considering what's gone on in the fixture the last two years. No, just blindly assume that the world and it's mother is conspiring against you

weareros

VAR is seriously needed in GAA for those type of incidents. A wrong call like that can be winning losing of game. I know there's resistance for every aspect of game but any card that causes a team to lose a player and vice versa should he reviewed when it's not clear cut.

Blowitupref

Quote from: weareros on April 26, 2022, 06:34:03 PM
VAR is seriously needed in GAA for those type of incidents. A wrong call like that can be winning losing of game. I know there’s resistance for every aspect of game but any card that causes a team to lose a player and vice versa should he reviewed when it’s not clear cut.

Be better off just getting rid of the black card than bring in the VAR that hasn't brought the improvement to controversial decisions as they hoped.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

IolarCoisCuain

Quote from: iorras on April 26, 2022, 02:58:29 PM
Mayo groundsman has been admitted to St Marys in Castlebar, all of his hard work getting the pitch ready and now its full of dead patches where Galway players lay so long on the ground they killed the grass. Thoughts and prayers.

Only taking the piss Galway people, fair play on the win, Cian O'Neil showed his worth with the tactic of blocking up the "Mayo attacking" channels with the wing forwards. A joke that after so many years managing at a high level JH couldn't find a way around it but there it is. I dont rate O'Neill, I'm sure hes worried, but hes become such a journeyman at this stage its a bit of a joke. I think thats all he will contribute positively to Galway this year.

The backdoor will suit Mayo if the injuries clear up and they could find themselves in a semi, however I said there was no point in Horan coming back unless he had improved his tactical abilities and was willing to be less stubborn and listen to others. Neither has happened so Mayo wont be winning any All Ireland this year and thoughts must start to turn to who next. Problem is there are no obvious choices unless we were willing to go mad an look at someone like Jim McGuinness. Not sure he would be an answer either, I believe, as much as it pains me to say it, if they had been playing any other top team of that era except James Horans Mayo they probably wouldn't have won that All Ireland. I know they beat Dublin
The answer to get over the line last year was getting in Rochford for 3 weeks before the All Ireland to help plan the tactics, I think Sam would have been nestling in the West now. It was wishful thinking of course because JH would never consider it. I dont know if Rochford is the answer either but we do love to go back to a previous manager in Mayo (would that be the 5th time?) so who knows

I'd agree with the weight of that Iorras. On a Rochford return, I don't know. A little birdie told me that Galway had him all lined up to take over from PJ once Mayo lowered the boom on Galway in Castlebar. Whether PJ is out of the woods or was only granted a stay of execution I don't know, and I've enough to be worrying about on my own side of the march to speculate any further.

iorras

I was wondering alright which ex Mayo manager was going to be the next Galway manager to win the all Ireland

Mayo4Sam14

Quote from: IolarCoisCuain on April 27, 2022, 09:10:24 PM
Quote from: iorras on April 26, 2022, 02:58:29 PM
Mayo groundsman has been admitted to St Marys in Castlebar, all of his hard work getting the pitch ready and now its full of dead patches where Galway players lay so long on the ground they killed the grass. Thoughts and prayers.

Only taking the piss Galway people, fair play on the win, Cian O'Neil showed his worth with the tactic of blocking up the "Mayo attacking" channels with the wing forwards. A joke that after so many years managing at a high level JH couldn't find a way around it but there it is. I dont rate O'Neill, I'm sure hes worried, but hes become such a journeyman at this stage its a bit of a joke. I think thats all he will contribute positively to Galway this year.

The backdoor will suit Mayo if the injuries clear up and they could find themselves in a semi, however I said there was no point in Horan coming back unless he had improved his tactical abilities and was willing to be less stubborn and listen to others. Neither has happened so Mayo wont be winning any All Ireland this year and thoughts must start to turn to who next. Problem is there are no obvious choices unless we were willing to go mad an look at someone like Jim McGuinness. Not sure he would be an answer either, I believe, as much as it pains me to say it, if they had been playing any other top team of that era except James Horans Mayo they probably wouldn't have won that All Ireland. I know they beat Dublin
The answer to get over the line last year was getting in Rochford for 3 weeks before the All Ireland to help plan the tactics, I think Sam would have been nestling in the West now. It was wishful thinking of course because JH would never consider it. I dont know if Rochford is the answer either but we do love to go back to a previous manager in Mayo (would that be the 5th time?) so who knows

I'd agree with the weight of that Iorras. On a Rochford return, I don't know. A little birdie told me that Galway had him all lined up to take over from PJ once Mayo lowered the boom on Galway in Castlebar. Whether PJ is out of the woods or was only granted a stay of execution I don't know, and I've enough to be worrying about on my own side of the march to speculate any further.

I really do think Rochford would've gotten the team over the line last year. But then again if Horan hadn't come back, would the new core of the team have been brought through? That's what Horan is very good at to be fair.

It's a pity he couldn't have someone like Rochford alongside him to actually handle the tactics and make changes from the sideline during the match. Unfortunately, if there's two things Horan doesn't like it's listening to anyone or adapting to anything.

As OHora said last year "we only have one plan" however when you insist on stick on playing a running game without any runners you end up languishing in possession around the 45 waiting to be turned over.
You can forget about Sean Cavanagh as far as he's a man!

Mayo4Sam14

Also I thought Rochford would've been the man to turn Galway into genuine contenders
You can forget about Sean Cavanagh as far as he's a man!

Maroon Manc

We've all been critical of the kickouts and again last Sunday the last 10 minutes in particular was a calamity, Galway were desperate to get their hands on the ball so they could work an insurance point and kill the clock at the same time. Gleeson on a good few occasions picked the wrong option, the short one was one twice with the first 2 he went long and then when he did go short he went to John Daly instead of Sean Kelly. Mayo had a set a trap and wanted him to go to Daly and Gleeson duly obliged.

I appreciate its not just Gleesons fault and he was probably under instruction to go long and for most of the game it worked well but he's just far too easy to read and doesn't offer any flexibility with his kicking, just can't disguise any. A special mention to Comer who broke so many of our kickouts on Sunday, I'd say it was his best game for Galway; His involvement for Conroy's for point was top class.

On a positive note Galway created chances everytime they had possession. A lot of talk about Mayo missing chances but Galway missed more easier chances then Mayo did, Conroy missed a good few of which 2 were easy ones for him and O'Laoi & Molloy missed very ones although O'Laoi is probably the last Galway player I'd trust to shoot. Apart from the two 45's and a free Galway didn't hit any scores from distance, the rest were all kicks from within the scoring zone.

A lot of talk Galway can't improve which is nonsense apart from the obvious issues with kickouts their shooting was nothing special despite and gave away too many frees needlessly especially in that 1st half. Tactically though Galway got it spot on and Joyce will be very disappointed not to have won that game comfortably.

An Fhairche Abu

The worry is that it was a game that ended in a similar manner to Monaghan relegation playoff last year, it was on the verge of another collapse in a match that had effectively already been won.
Galway will still have to improve in a good number of facets or they will left in the same position as 2017, watching Roscommon take over Pearse Stadium in a Connacht Final. To be fair to Gleeson (and all Galway keepers) I don't think he's being put in best position to succeed with respect to kick outs as it is, but Flaherty has (or at least he had at U20 level) better tools for that vital aspect of the game. System still needs to be put in place for them and hopefully this can be improved.
Missed a few last Sunday but even with plenty of room to improve Galway's shot conversion rate has already increased from last year, if they continue to keep a shot conversion rate around 70% for the rest of the year that shouldn't be the main reason for any losses moving forward at least.

One thing that must be said in credit to the players and management, once promotion was assured after the Derry game, that match against Mayo was really all that mattered, they had to find some way to get a winning result, whatever that took in terms of setup and approach to the game, they have delivered on that ultimately and at least given themselves some chance now to have a reasonable summer.
Just in case any Rossies think I'm running their final win down because Galway weren't bothered or something - absolutely not the case. Galway went out to try and win the League final on the day, they came up short against a good Rossie team, it's just that in the overall scheme no one in Galway would care about having won the Div 2 league final if Mayo beat Galway out the gate last Sunday and a Div 2 title wouldn't have saved Joyce in that scenario.

Rossfan

Ros team named
Lavin
Murray Stack M Cormack
Hussey N Daly R Daly
Harney Nolan
Ciaráin Enda Heneghan
McKeon Donie Cox.

Among the Subs Conor Daly and Diarmuid Murtagh.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

GaillimhIarthair

Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on April 29, 2022, 12:23:41 PM
The worry is that it was a game that ended in a similar manner to Monaghan relegation playoff last year, it was on the verge of another collapse in a match that had effectively already been won.
Galway will still have to improve in a good number of facets or they will left in the same position as 2017, watching Roscommon take over Pearse Stadium in a Connacht Final. To be fair to Gleeson (and all Galway keepers) I don't think he's being put in best position to succeed with respect to kick outs as it is, but Flaherty has (or at least he had at U20 level) better tools for that vital aspect of the game. System still needs to be put in place for them and hopefully this can be improved.
Missed a few last Sunday but even with plenty of room to improve Galway's shot conversion rate has already increased from last year, if they continue to keep a shot conversion rate around 70% for the rest of the year that shouldn't be the main reason for any losses moving forward at least.

One thing that must be said in credit to the players and management, once promotion was assured after the Derry game, that match against Mayo was really all that mattered, they had to find some way to get a winning result, whatever that took in terms of setup and approach to the game, they have delivered on that ultimately and at least given themselves some chance now to have a reasonable summer.
Just in case any Rossies think I'm running their final win down because Galway weren't bothered or something - absolutely not the case. Galway went out to try and win the League final on the day, they came up short against a good Rossie team, it's just that in the overall scheme no one in Galway would care about having won the Div 2 league final if Mayo beat Galway out the gate last Sunday and a Div 2 title wouldn't have saved Joyce in that scenario.
It all comes back to our lack of a kick out strategy in these situations.  We had no go to planned move over the final 10 mins of the game to guarantee us possession, get up the field and put the game well beyond Mayo's reach - it was nearly there anyway.  Mayo set a few traps (think John Daly turnover) and we fell hook, line and sinker for them.  This continues to be the main concern for most Galway supporters right now and MUST be addressed.  There was a lot of other stuff that we did really well last Sun and as you say, kudos to the players and management team for that.

Blowitupref

Roscommon team and subs for tomorrows Connacht semi final. No Sligo team published yet.

Colm Lavin (Éire Óg)
David Murray  (Padraig Pearses)
Brian Stack (St. Brigids)
Eoin McCormack (St. Dominics)
Ronan Daly (Padraig Pearses)
Niall Daly (Padraig Pearses)
Conor Hussey  (Michael Glaveys)
Ultan Harney (Clann na nGael)
Eddie Nolan (St. Brigids)
Ciaran Murtagh (St Faithleachs)
Enda Smith (Boyle)
Cathal Heneghan (Michael Glaveys)
Cian McKeon (Boyle)
Donie Smith (Boyle) (C)
Conor Cox (Eire Og)

Subs
Conor Carroll,Hubert Darcy,Dylan Ruane,Aengus Lyons,Shane Cunnane,Niall Kilroy,Ciaran Sugrue,Keith Doyle,Andrew Glennon,Conor Daly,Diarmuid Murtagh

Connacht GAA are streaming all group minor championship games but this senior semi final and next week Leitrim v Galway can't be watched live unless you attend. Anyone else find that a bit bizzare?
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Rudi

Strong side with options off the bench.

twohands!!!

Quote from: Blowitupref on April 29, 2022, 02:05:10 PM

Connacht GAA are streaming all group minor championship games but this senior semi final and next week Leitrim v Galway can't be watched live unless you attend. Anyone else find that a bit bizzare?

I'd imagine this is down to what was sold in terms of the television rights. I'd say Connacht GAA don't have the rights to stream the senior game.

You'd hope there'd by a bit more joined up thinking in terms of the next television rights sale i.e. a clause that says that any game that isn't being broadcast will be availble to be streamed on GAAGO

Blowitupref

Quote from: twohands!!! on April 29, 2022, 06:30:03 PM
Quote from: Blowitupref on April 29, 2022, 02:05:10 PM

I'd imagine this is down to what was sold in terms of the television rights. I'd say Connacht GAA don't have the rights to stream the senior game.

You'd hope there'd by a bit more joined up thinking in terms of the next television rights sale i.e. a clause that says that any game that isn't being broadcast will be availble to be streamed on GAAGO

Looks that way with the Connacht GAA and no such right with the minor games. When GAAGO stepped in to stream New York v Sligo i would have thought they'd show both or at least one of the semi finals.