Connacht SFC 2022

Started by Rossfan, April 04, 2022, 09:07:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SouthDublinBro

Better team won on the day. Coldrick did his best to guide Mayo back into the game when they were dead and buried trailing by 5 with 2 VERY soft frees leading directly to 2 Mayo scores to put just a goal between them.

From the Bunker

Quote from: seafoid on April 24, 2022, 05:55:56 PM
Nice oul win.
Mayo need to park it for a few years and avoid All Ireland finals. They need to refresh .

Galway have done this for years and look at the good it has done them!  ;D

Well done Galway, well deserved win today! Time to drive on.......they have the players!

joemamas

My main concern for Sunday is the blueprint to contain or beat us has become really simple.
Mayo have currently only one (two if Conor Loftus plays in the forwards) starting forwards who has the ability to consistently take on his marker and go around them thereby open up a back line. Unfortunately the focus has continued be produce endless runners ( which is incredibly important) but our inability to take on defenders and in addition not being able to score beyond 30-35 yards makes us so easy to defend against.
Given the injuries we have, Diarmuid O Connor ,Patrick Durcan, Jordan Flynn and possibly Robert Hennelley, and the fact that we will have a new midfield paring makes this a bigger challenge.
(if James Horan thinks Conor O Shea is good enough and hopefully he will be, why did he not play him against Kildare, in what was a meaningless game to give him midfield experience, now he is our only option on the bench for midfield).

I never criticize individuals on the panel, as they have put in an unimaginable number of hours to prepare themselves, I am more frustrated that our management never seems to learn from past experiences/defeats, and how
1.They have not developed fast scoring forwards, and have a very poor job with building the confidence of fringe forwards.
2.Some of the team selections have been poor
3.Most of what tactics we employ or more accurately the lack of tactics.
Examples of this , 2012 final, 1st half of 2021 Connacht final, 2021 All Ireland, 2022 league final.
2002 Connacht Q/final

More hopeful than confident for Sunday, especially if Walsh and Comer stay on the field for 70 minutes,
I have read some lazy analysis going back to last year's Connaught Final and how Mayo blew Galway away.
I was at it Mayo were shocking in the first half and Galway could have been up by six or seven not five at HT.
People also forget, that Walsh essentially did not play in the second half, and that Comer punched the ball off the crossbar with the game level at 2-8 to 1-11 15 mins into second half.
very slim margins indeed.
maybe our focus this year has been on this coming Sunday and we did not want to show our hand.
I will be very very happy to be proved wrong.

Just added the part in bold.
The team selection was mesmerizing along with the lack of a game plan.

Rossfan

I suppose ourselves, Laythrum and Sligo may as well pack our bags and head for the Qualifiers/Tailteann :-\ .
Any team that beat Mayowestros  so comprehensively (except on scoreboard) will make short work of the rest of us.
Anyway fir the record
Sligo v Ros rearranged to 30/4 at 5 pm in Markypark.
Galway v Leitrim in Salthill 7 or 8 May.
Final 29th May. In Salthill if Galway v Ros. Any other pairing I'd expect would be in Castlebar.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Gael85

Jordan Flynn big loss for Mayo today. Was having a good season up to injury in league final. Mayo still have Hennelly and Durcan to come back.

An Fhairche Abu

Quote from: SouthDublinBro on April 24, 2022, 07:00:32 PM
Better team won on the day. Coldrick did his best to guide Mayo back into the game when they were dead and buried trailing by 5 with 2 VERY soft frees leading directly to 2 Mayo scores to put just a goal between them.
Maybe it's the bias but at the match I thought Coldrick was a disgrace not giving the black card and a pile of soft frees for Mayo on top of that, Cillian O'Connor could have murdered someone out there and I wonder would Coldrick have even looked at his book to give a tick.
Galway got serious white line fever and nearly fucked it away, kickouts will ultimately be our undoing, terrible again.
Great win in Castlebar but I thought Mayo were clueless in second half, incredible to see really given all Horan and those players have come up against before, Galway basically copied what Kerry did in league final but we don't have as good players to drive it home when on top.
Tierney and a few other Galway lads need to seriously up it if we're to win Connacht, lot of unforced mistakes out there today, Comer and Conroy were immense though, serious footballers.

joemamas

Forgot to congratulate Galway earlier.
They were the better team by far.
Especially happy for Conroy, he has toiled for a long-time and I can rememberer him being one of the few Galway to stand up, back when Mayo were the dominant team.

Farrandeelin

Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on April 24, 2022, 10:21:21 PM
Maybe it's the bias but at the match I thought Coldrick was a disgrace not giving the black card and a pile of soft frees for Mayo on top of that, Cillian O'Connor could have murdered someone out there and I wonder would Coldrick have even looked at his book to give a tick.
Galway got serious white line fever and nearly fucked it away, kickouts will ultimately be our undoing, terrible again.
Great win in Castlebar but I thought Mayo were clueless in second half, incredible to see really given all Horan and those players have come up against before, Galway basically copied what Kerry did in league final but we don't have as good players to drive it home when on top.
Tierney and a few other Galway lads need to seriously up it if we're to win Connacht, lot of unforced mistakes out there today, Comer and Conroy were immense though, serious footballers.

As I said before, any team with a good defensive set up will beat Mayo.

We don't have the players - due to injuries or otherwise - to use the running game anymore. Let's be honest, Mullin hasn't set the world alight and is not a man marker in the mould of Chris Barrett or Higgins in his heyday.

Galway totally dominated midfield, Jordan Flynn sorely missed. Ruane wasn't at the races at all today, (nor the league final either for that matter). Hopefully our injuries clear up in the next 6 weeks, but until our forwards can do what Galway's forwards did today then the shark infested waters of the backdoor could swallow us up.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Mayo4Sam14

The more I think about it, the more I'm annoyed that Cillian O'Connor started today. Before throw in I said it'd be a madness call if he started because he clearly couldn't be ready.

But even more than that, James Horans biggest and arguably only quality is that he brings through young players very well. So today he could've given Orme or Carney an opportunity and live or die by the outcome.

But no COC is back so he starts. He now knows he doesn't need to up his game at all because he's an automatic starter. He wasn't fit today, he contributed nothing, and took frees off our best forward because he is who he is.

He could've started a young player today and if it didn't work you have a fired up COC coming off the bench to earn his place. But instead COC is ineffective and you have no options off the bench.

One of the main things I can't get over is the 45s. He can't take them, whatever about the frees he kicked the easy ones and missed the big one but whatever he's kicked enough frees to earn a bit of leeway there. But he can't take 45s, he probably hasn't kicked one in 10 years. It would be okay if the frees were split between him and ROD based on ability. But COC has to take everything.

He'll start the next day. He knows that. So why push that extra yard?
You can forget about Sean Cavanagh as far as he's a man!

Mayo4Sam14

Quote from: Farrandeelin on April 24, 2022, 11:08:29 PM
Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on April 24, 2022, 10:21:21 PM

As I said before, any team with a good defensive set up will beat Mayo.

We don't have the players - due to injuries or otherwise - to use the running game anymore. Let's be honest, Mullin hasn't set the world alight and is not a man marker in the mould of Chris Barrett or Higgins in his heyday.

Galway totally dominated midfield, Jordan Flynn sorely missed. Ruane wasn't at the races at all today, (nor the league final either for that matter). Hopefully our injuries clear up in the next 6 weeks, but until our forwards can do what Galway's forwards did today then the shark infested waters of the backdoor could swallow us up.

I think this falls squarely on Horan. He refuses to adapt so we're still playing the one game plan running game. But we had no runners today. So we were playing a running game with no runners.

Mayo4Sam14

I have to say about Mullin too, and I said it last year, there's far too much pressure on him. He's been made out as some saviour of mayo football but we really haven't seen it from him.

He hasn't been very good this year. He was very poor in last years final, and didn't really feature before that. He did decently as a new player in the 2020 final when nobody else really played well. But I think expectations need to be reigned in a bit.

My starting half back line, all fit, would be Durcan Coen McLaughlin. Have Mullin on the bench, a bit less pressure, and let him really up his game to win his place

thewobbler

Quote from: Mayo4Sam14 on April 24, 2022, 11:14:11 PM
The more I think about it, the more I'm annoyed that Cillian O'Connor started today. Before throw in I said it'd be a madness call if he started because he clearly couldn't be ready.

But even more than that, James Horans biggest and arguably only quality is that he brings through young players very well. So today he could've given Orme or Carney an opportunity and live or die by the outcome.

But no COC is back so he starts. He now knows he doesn't need to up his game at all because he's an automatic starter. He wasn't fit today, he contributed nothing, and took frees off our best forward because he is who he is.

He could've started a young player today and if it didn't work you have a fired up COC coming off the bench to earn his place. But instead COC is ineffective and you have no options off the bench.

One of the main things I can't get over is the 45s. He can't take them, whatever about the frees he kicked the easy ones and missed the big one but whatever he's kicked enough frees to earn a bit of leeway there. But he can't take 45s, he probably hasn't kicked one in 10 years. It would be okay if the frees were split between him and ROD based on ability. But COC has to take everything.

No.

You'd swear reading this post that Mayo have a cluster of high quality forwards to turn to.

They don't. Not even close. And with Conroy out for the season, their AI hopes are dependent on someone taking the pressure of O'Donaghue.

There's effectively one game to get this going ahead of the knockout stages.

The most consistent forward the county has ever produced is ready and willing.

Anyone who doesn't start him today is eating too much meat or forgetting to take some carbs. They're not balanced anyhow.

Mayo4Sam14

Quote from: thewobbler on April 24, 2022, 11:28:21 PM

No.

You'd swear reading this post that Mayo have a cluster of high quality forwards to turn to.

They don't. Not even close. And with Conroy out for the season, their AI hopes are dependent on someone taking the pressure of O'Donaghue.

Anyone who doesn't start him today is eating too much meat or forgetting to take some carbs. They're not balanced anyhow.

What did he contribute today? Because he clearly wasn't and couldn't possibly have been fit. I'm not suggesting he be exiled, but I'd prefer he came on with something to prove when the game is in the melting pot than what actually transpired

JoG2

Quote from: Mayo4Sam14 on April 24, 2022, 11:32:04 PM

No.

What did he contribute today? Because he clearly wasn't and couldn't possibly have been fit. I'm not suggesting he be exiled, but I'd prefer he came on with something to prove when the game is in the melting pot than what actually transpired

Mayo will be in the mix, so you think Cillian O'C shouldn't be given championship game time to be sharp for the business end?

Mayo4Sam14

Quote from: JoG2 on April 24, 2022, 11:44:28 PM
Quote from: Mayo4Sam14 on April 24, 2022, 11:32:04 PM

No.

Mayo will be in the mix, so you think Cillian O'C shouldn't be given championship game time to be sharp for the business end?

He could've got 30 minutes of the bench today and worked from there