Jack Chambers on Gender Quotas

Started by Baile Brigín 2, May 30, 2022, 08:59:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baile Brigín 2

I see the junior minister for sport has targeted the GAA, FAI and IRFU for removing 50% of state funding if they don't immediately increase the level of women to 40% on all boards. Currently the GAA have 11%. By comparison the FAI have 25%, the IRFU 8%.

Soccer and rugby have ballpark participation levels matched. But on the basis the GAA don't do womens sport, what exactly is the point of this?

trueblue1234

Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on May 30, 2022, 08:59:36 PM
I see the junior minister for sport has targeted the GAA, FAI and IRFU for removing 50% of state funding if they don't immediately increase the level of women to 40% on all boards. Currently the GAA have 11%. By comparison the FAI have 25%, the IRFU 8%.

Soccer and rugby have ballpark participation levels matched. But on the basis the GAA don't do womens sport, what exactly is the point of this?

Are we excluding Camogie?
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: trueblue1234 on May 30, 2022, 09:14:00 PM

Are we excluding Camogie?

Yes. It's not a GAA sport.

But equally as absurdly they have to have 40% men on their committees

Farrandeelin

Define 'all boards' - all county boards? Club executive boards?
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Champion The Wonder Horse

The least reliable indicator of a person's competence is their gender.

6th sam

Not scientific analysis as gaa have Lgfa and camogie. Have to say, our club has always been integrated, we probably have 50/50 male/female members and committee members. No
Hassle , everybody equally valued , no big deal. We have never had a quota. We just welcome and value all. There is absolutely no problem. We would be completely lost without our female officers and our male officers. It's the same as any area of discrimination if you're a bigot of any kind it's a problem. If you respect everyone equally , it's not .

Milltown Row2

Quote from: 6th sam on May 30, 2022, 11:03:16 PM
Not scientific analysis as gaa have Lgfa and camogie. Have to say, our club has always been integrated, we probably have 50/50 male/female members and committee members. No
Hassle , everybody equally valued , no big deal. We have never had a quota. We just welcome and value all. There is absolutely no problem. We would be completely lost without our female officers and our male officers. It's the same as any area of discrimination if you're a bigot of any kind it's a problem. If you respect everyone equally , it's not .

You need them for tea making and sandwiches   :P  hopefully our committee see this as a joke

But in all seriousness we've completely changed as a club and that's down to the women that serve on all parts of our committees, our previous chairperson and current sec and other executive mostly women.

I'd say half our playing membership are women
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: Farrandeelin on May 30, 2022, 10:31:16 PM

Define 'all boards' - all county boards? Club executive boards?

It seemed to be congress and county boards, but was article light on detail.

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: 6th sam on May 30, 2022, 11:03:16 PM
Not scientific analysis as gaa have Lgfa and camogie. L
Explain please