NFL Division Four 2022

Started by Blowitupref, January 15, 2022, 09:20:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rodney trotter

It's no harm to call it a 50/50 game. Sligo are playing at home and while Cavan were Ulster Champions, they have had 3 relegations and beaten by Wicklow last year, so aren't world beaters in League form over the last few years

Papa Durcan part of the Sligo backroom team. https://t.co/OvFEHP5u4R

Look-Up!

Quote from: Itchy on February 18, 2022, 03:35:41 PM
Quote from: Look-Up! on February 18, 2022, 03:19:12 PM
Quote from: Itchy on February 18, 2022, 02:59:14 PM
Quote from: Look-Up! on February 18, 2022, 02:14:04 PM
Quote from: Itchy on February 14, 2022, 06:38:40 PM
Bookies have Cavan 2/5 away to Sligo, I think it will be a closer than that.
Sligo 11/4 with some bookies  :o :o :o :o. That's some value! It's a 50/50 game. You can make a case for either team- Cavan are tough to break down and have experience of higher divisions and a provincial title. Sligo are going well, at home and have some dangerous forwards. Cavan tend to struggle with pacey forwards who run directly at backline.
If I had to stick my neck on the block I'd say Cavan by slightest of margins but I think we'll need a goal, something which is very elusive to this team. I also think the bad weather and heavy ground will suit us better and maybe take a bit of the pace out of the Yeats attack. But for a gambler those odds should be too tempting.

A 50:50 game?? - I dont think so. If Cavan played sligo 10 times, Cavan should be winning 9 of them. I think you are talking up Sligo way too much. They beat a woeful Carlow team and sneaked past Wexford. Two good wins and that brings confidence but jesus come on we were ulster champions 2 yrs ago we are not a 50:50 team against Sligo. The only thing that levels this somewhat is the weather conditions which are looking fairly cat.
Why would I be talking up any Division 4 team?? You're the one doing the talking up. Division 4 and talking about Ulster champions. We're about as far removed from Ulster champion at the minute as any team can be.

You are talking up Sligo and saying this is a 50:50 match while the bookies (seldom wrong) call it 2/5 for Cavan. It is a fact that this Cavan team won Ulster not even 2 years ago. The same players are there which is my point. I am getting a bit fed up of Cavan people knocking the ability of our team - what next, we will scrape a win against London??
That's pretty disrespectful to Sligo IMO to react like that to calling the game 50:50. Yes we won an Ulster in empty stadiums in November time on wet pitches in bad conditions. Last time we played in a sun soaked full Clones didn't go great if memory serves. And unless it's completely shot I believe we lost 3 games out of 4 when we plied our trade in Division 3.

Itchy

Quote from: Look-Up! on February 18, 2022, 04:33:50 PM
Sligo 11/4 with some bookies  :o :o :o :o. That's some value! It's a 50/50 game. You can make a case for either team- Cavan are tough to break down and have experience of higher divisions and a provincial title. Sligo are going well, at home and have some dangerous forwards. Cavan tend to struggle with pacey forwards who run directly at backline.
If I had to stick my neck on the block I'd say Cavan by slightest of margins but I think we'll need a goal, something which is very elusive to this team. I also think the bad weather and heavy ground will suit us better and maybe take a bit of the pace out of the Yeats attack. But for a gambler those odds should be too tempting.

A 50:50 game?? - I dont think so. If Cavan played sligo 10 times, Cavan should be winning 9 of them. I think you are talking up Sligo way too much. They beat a woeful Carlow team and sneaked past Wexford. Two good wins and that brings confidence but jesus come on we were ulster champions 2 yrs ago we are not a 50:50 team against Sligo. The only thing that levels this somewhat is the weather conditions which are looking fairly cat.
Why would I be talking up any Division 4 team?? You're the one doing the talking up. Division 4 and talking about Ulster champions. We're about as far removed from Ulster champion at the minute as any team can be.

You are talking up Sligo and saying this is a 50:50 match while the bookies (seldom wrong) call it 2/5 for Cavan. It is a fact that this Cavan team won Ulster not even 2 years ago. The same players are there which is my point. I am getting a bit fed up of Cavan people knocking the ability of our team - what next, we will scrape a win against London??
That's pretty disrespectful to Sligo IMO to react like that to calling the game 50:50. Yes we won an Ulster in empty stadiums in November time on wet pitches in bad conditions. Last time we played in a sun soaked full Clones didn't go great if memory serves. And unless it's completely shot I believe we lost 3 games out of 4 when we plied our trade in Division 3.

Where was I disrespectful to Sligo? I barely mentioned them in my post. Maybe you should comment on what I actually post?
By the way, were the empty stadiums, wet conditions etc in 2020 somehow different for the teams playing each other.

Look-Up!

Quote from: Itchy on February 18, 2022, 05:18:07 PM
Quote from: Look-Up! on February 18, 2022, 04:33:50 PM

Where was I disrespectful to Sligo? I barely mentioned them in my post. Maybe you should comment on what I actually post?
By the way, were the empty stadiums, wet conditions etc in 2020 somehow different for the teams playing each other.
Barely mentioned them?? ;D ;D FFS Itchy you were posting about them and mad that people could knock Cavan saying the game was 50/50. As for the last sentence you said it in this very thread that the weather will be a "leveller" this weekend so maybe you can answer that one yourself.

Itchy

Lad, it is not disrespectful to a team by stating the fact that one team is 2/5 to win (hot favourites) but weather is a leveller.

Look-Up!

Quote from: Itchy on February 18, 2022, 06:26:34 PM
Lad, it is not disrespectful to a team by stating the fact that one team is 2/5 to win (hot favourites) but weather is a leveller.
I know what the odds are that's why I'm saying it's terrific value. You say Cavan would beat Sligo 9 times out of 10 and it's knocking Cavan and bigging up Sligo to call it 50:50. I disagree. Yes weather can be a leveller but for who this weekend? I say it suits Cavan. We are a winter team and have form in bad conditions (however terrible we were last year). That and the fact Sligo have shown inconsistency is why I called Cavan to win but narrowly with no great confidence. If I were laying Sligo I wouldn't go any more than 5/4, that's where I think it's at. A goal will swing this game either way so it's something we need to work on and we absolutely have to be on the ball defensively. I certainly hope I'm completely off but until I see a few more games with a more robust looking defence and forwards who can actually score and take on defenders, then it's impossible to rate this Cavan team as anything other than a Division 4 outfit.

Westside

Because Cavan's attack is so blunt, if you have a team with a decent free taker and players with a decent level of athleticism and physicality you'll have a decent shot at beating us.
That's why we won't hammer Division 4 teams but equally can compete with Division 1 and 2 teams.

Sligo have a couple of the best individual forwards in the Division so could cause Cavan trouble. Cavan are favourites as we have more talent and experience overall but Sligo in with a decent shout as Cavan won't put them away and they'll likely be in the game right to the end, particularly in the conditions, so one or two errors or big moments could impact the result.

Would like to see Martin Reilly start if he's able. A day for athleticism and reliability on the ball.

Also, talking down the Ulster win for whatever reasons is nonsense. It happened, it was exceptional and deserved, its over. Being in Division 4 in 2022 changes nothing.

Look-Up!

Quote from: Westside on February 18, 2022, 07:23:18 PM
Because Cavan's attack is so blunt, if you have a team with a decent free taker and players with a decent level of athleticism and physicality you'll have a decent shot at beating us.
That's why we won't hammer Division 4 teams but equally can compete with Division 1 and 2 teams.

Sligo have a couple of the best individual forwards in the Division so could cause Cavan trouble. Cavan are favourites as we have more talent and experience overall but Sligo in with a decent shout as Cavan won't put them away and they'll likely be in the game right to the end, particularly in the conditions, so one or two errors or big moments could impact the result.

Would like to see Martin Reilly start if he's able. A day for athleticism and reliability on the ball.

Also, talking down the Ulster win for whatever reasons is nonsense. It happened, it was exceptional and deserved, its over. Being in Division 4 in 2022 changes nothing.
No one is arguing the Ulster win was deserved but it is absolutely not nonsense to talk it down to put some context into it, especially if people are talking it up and using it as a gauge of where Cavan football is at the moment. We are a long ways off rubbing shoulders with the big boys in Ulster and winning big summer games in front of packed terraces in Ulster. That is a fact, same way Cavan hit 39 in 2020 is a fact. If that rubs people up the wrong way the problem is with them.

Westside

You are choosing where to put context very carefully. No mention of 2019 when we got to the Ulster final. No mention that a lot of our players unlike Sligo have Division 1 and 2 experience. No mention of how Sligo have been going over the past few years.

We aren't world beaters for sure, but we are favourites for this game and there is no evidence that this game is 50:50. We are strongly expected to win this narrowly.

Did they deduct an Ulster when we hit Div 4?

Look-Up!

Quote from: Westside on February 18, 2022, 08:29:37 PM
You are choosing where to put context very carefully. No mention of 2019 when we got to the Ulster final. No mention that a lot of our players unlike Sligo have Division 1 and 2 experience. No mention of how Sligo have been going over the past few years.

We aren't world beaters for sure, but we are favourites for this game and there is no evidence that this game is 50:50. We are strongly expected to win this narrowly.

I've actually mentioned every single one of those in this thread. Don't think it's me being choosy with the facts.

Westside

Quote from: Look-Up! on February 18, 2022, 08:50:56 PM

I've actually mentioned every single one of those in this thread. Don't think it's me being choosy with the facts.

Yes you had Cavan's far superior experience and success on one hand and Sligo being at home and "going well" on the other. Those things do not balance out.

I think this game will be close, I wouldn't be massively shocked if Sligo won. But there's no basis in fact for branding this a 50:50 game. If Sligo win it will be an upset.

Look-Up!

Quote from: Westside on February 18, 2022, 09:08:12 PM

Yes you had Cavan's far superior experience and success on one hand and Sligo being at home and "going well" on the other. Those things do not balance out.

I think this game will be close, I wouldn't be massively shocked if Sligo won. But there's no basis in fact for branding this a 50:50 game. If Sligo win it will be an upset.
Why exactly would I dismiss our performances last year against Fermanagh, Derry and Wicklow? Those performances still need to be moved on from and that needs to be done by showing something more on the football field. We're still struggling to surpass the 15 point mark and don't look like scoring goals. And it's not obvious yet who the forwards will be to change that.

And yes Sligo are going well. Their points difference alone is almost our total scoring tally this season. They are inconsistent and may well fall flat against us but they were unlucky last year losing narrowly to Antrim for promotion though the Louth game is one they'll want to forget. So I agree with you, I've actually stated numerous times now that I have Cavan as slight favourites but the quoted odds represent great value for a punter.

Westside

Quote from: Look-Up! on February 18, 2022, 09:26:58 PM

Why exactly would I dismiss our performances last year against Fermanagh, Derry and Wicklow? Those performances still need to be moved on from and that needs to be done by showing something more on the football field. We're still struggling to surpass the 15 point mark and don't look like scoring goals. And it's not obvious yet who the forwards will be to change that.

And yes Sligo are going well. Their points difference alone is almost our total scoring tally this season. They are inconsistent and may well fall flat against us but they were unlucky last year losing narrowly to Antrim for promotion though the Louth game is one they'll want to forget. So I agree with you, I've actually stated numerous times now that I have Cavan as slight favourites but the quoted odds represent great value for a punter.

Are Cavan not going better than Sligo? Narrow loss to the side now top of Div 1, hammered AI Champions, ground out a win against Leitrim in awful conditions, a more comfortable win against Wexford than Sligo had. Don't see how Sligo's form trumps that. Unless you're putting a lot of stock in that Carlow victory.

hoynevalley

Quote from: rodney trotter on February 18, 2022, 03:57:18 PM
It's no harm to call it a 50/50 game. Sligo are playing at home and while Cavan were Ulster Champions, they have had 3 relegations and beaten by Wicklow last year, so aren't world beaters in League form over the last few years

Papa Durcan part of the Sligo backroom team. https://t.co/OvFEHP5u4R

Durcan is living up that way a couple years now.

armaghniac

Quote from: Westside on February 18, 2022, 09:50:06 PM
Quote from: Look-Up! on February 18, 2022, 09:26:58 PM

Are Cavan not going better than Sligo? Narrow loss to the side now top of Div 1, hammered AI Champions, ground out a win against Leitrim in awful conditions, a more comfortable win against Wexford than Sligo had. Don't see how Sligo's form trumps that. Unless you're putting a lot of stock in that Carlow victory.

Sligo have a Crossmaglen man managing them.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B