Attendances

Started by slippery dodger, January 18, 2018, 09:22:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rossfan

When was the last time an All Ireland semi final (excl replays) wasn't played in Croke Park?
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Turf

Quote from: Rossfan on July 02, 2022, 08:49:41 PM
When was the last time an All Ireland semi final (excl replays) wasn't played in Croke Park?
Time for a change though imo. 5 years ago a match like today would have had 70k at it.
All I'm saying is,is there a need for Croke Park for all these games that could have full houses in other stadiums that are more than capable of hosting them.
I know it won't happen though.

clarshack

Probably 1983 football semi Cork v Dublin.

These games have to be in Croke Park for the prawn sandwich ticket holders in the premium and box seats.

full moon

Quote from: Rossfan on July 02, 2022, 08:44:47 PM
That is a disappointing number for All Ireland semi final.

I think fans are voting with their feet for various reasons.

full moon

Well the warning signs were there all year, a lot of the attendance collapse is self inflicted

clarshack

Tbf to Armagh and Derry if it wasn't for them the attendance figures would be a lot worse this season, and the main reason they've had good followings this year is down to the fact both countries have had lengthy barren spells. Derry in particular wouldn't have had great support in the past.

Saffrongael

I would say people just can't afford it, especially if you are going as a family
Let no-one say the best hurlers belong to the past. They are with us now, and better yet to come

Eire90

people fed up with the same teams winning leads to apathy aswell even among some fans of same countys

balladmaker

It's only two months until Garth lands, rural Ireland are saving their money!

onefineday

40k wouldn't be uncommon for a Kilkenny semi-final. It's not a huge county, combined with Saturday evening and  Clare being a bit of a trek, we were probably lucky to get 40k.
The problem with moving games from croker is that commitments are made to corporates and long term ticket holders when selling tickets, you'd imagine these have to be honoured insofar as possible too.

onefineday

Quote from: full moon on July 02, 2022, 10:52:57 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on July 02, 2022, 08:44:47 PM
That is a disappointing number for All Ireland semi final.

I think fans are voting with their feet for various reasons.
Had a look and from what I can find on wiki, the 2016 semi and replay (semple) between kk and Waterford had 34 and 30 respectively.
2017, 18 and 19 all had over 50k, with a few over 70k - if cork or Limerick were involved. kk only in one semi and that had 55k.
You'd think tomorrow would be in the 50's, though Galway have little hope and a football semi in 6 days time, so that's bound to impact.

Eire90

They probably have to have a certain amount of games in croke park i would say or it would be another white elephant

Eire90

could semis not have been a double header or would it be to impractical.

onefineday

Quote from: Eire90 on July 03, 2022, 04:37:22 AM
Couldn't really, one of the big things about semis are they're the 'peoples game', anyone can get tickets and kids tickets are a tenner. I'm doing both next weekend with a clatter of kids with me! You'd expect today's game to top 50k min, which would leave you with people not able to attend. Ideally, we'd have a 55k stadium in Dublin too - if there had been some way to make the Aviva work for gaa too and let everyone share the stadia as needs be, that would have been some job. Despite the large sums of public money involved, it could never have happened though, politics, ownership rights and apparently the Aviva site couldn't have accommodated a gaa pitch - dubious about that one though!
That aside, even a quarter full croker can work if the game is good, I remember a hurling quarter final between Galway and tipp in 2010 that had 28k and the atmosphere was mad because the game was a classic.

didlyi

Quote from: Eire90 on July 03, 2022, 04:37:22 AM

The average attendance at Hurling semis must be around 55k so not a chance of that working and double headers are a disaster. There will be more Offaly supporters in Kilkenny today than Kilkenny supporters in Croker yesterday. The novelty element certainly accounts for that in these tough times financialy for supporters.