Previous topic - Next topic

Gael85

Quote from: heffo on December 26, 2015, 05:45:17 PM
Quote from: Gael85 on December 26, 2015, 05:37:41 PM
Quote from: INDIANA on December 26, 2015, 05:13:57 PM
Quote from: Gael85 on December 26, 2015, 05:11:03 PM
Quote from: armaghniac on December 26, 2015, 02:16:37 PM
Quote from: seafoid on December 26, 2015, 12:23:44 PM
In Dublin, which has a large socially immobile working class, GAA is played by middle class people, with some exceptions in Ballymun.

I suppose the question is what is different about Ballymun and whether any lessons can be learned from that.
The lumpen proletariat in Dublin South (the council area) might be a hard to shift, but the areas with more immigrants might be more fertile ground.

Paddy Christie done a lot of great work with Ballymun. GAA is non existent in working class areas. Dublin county board done little to help in areas like Drimnagh, Crumlin, Ballyfermot, Tallaght west and inner city.

They have done plenty. The areas themselves are not interested or socially aren't setup for it.

GAA relies on volunteerism and as said above these communities can't provide volunteers as the parents spend most of their weekends working

Some of these have plenty volunteers but cant compete with clubs with GPO's.These areas cant afford a  GPO and Dublin county board have done little to help. I have heard county board not let clubs in their feeder schools because rival clubs have a GPO. Money talks

Fully understand that, in the case of the club in question, the DCB was actually heavily subsidising their GPO and they were just making a token payment, they also assisted greatly with the building of their dressing rooms in Killanarden Park (I gave them a little steer too), so I don't accept the DCB are doing nothing - I also know of lots of other instances where the DCB have greatly assisted clubs.

I'd be very surprised if any club in any area of Dublin was ever blocked from recruiting from any school - I would say it's highly unlikely that's true.

Regarding recruitment of school. The  head GPO , an Na Fianna man might answer that

Tothefuture

Interesting to read this. Would there now be competition between the GAA and Rugby for the Middle class?

From the Bunker

Talking to a Na Fianna lad lately, and the greatest threat to Gaelic football in his club is Hurling. Not happy!

INDIANA

Quote from: From the Bunker on December 26, 2015, 06:52:35 PM
Talking to a Na Fianna lad lately, and the greatest threat to Gaelic football in his club is Hurling. Not happy!

Shows you what state that club is in!. They are in complete disarray as a club.

Gael85

Haven't Na Fianna won 2/3 minors in last few years.I heard the hurler's banned from playing football though 😂

INDIANA

Quote from: Gael85 on December 26, 2015, 07:34:58 PM
Haven't Na Fianna won 2/3 minors in last few years.I heard the hurler's banned from playing football though 😂

done nothing at adult level. smashed in the u21 championship recently as well.

Gael85

In fairness 21 is played at end of season when everyone is going the motions

INDIANA

Quote from: Gael85 on December 26, 2015, 08:06:09 PM

Oh they were going for it big time. They've haven't a win of note in the senior championship for about a decade

Syferus

U20/21 club is taken very seriously from my experience. Just another thing contributing to the Dec-March pile-up for college age players.

heffo

Quote from: Syferus on December 26, 2015, 08:15:55 PM

U20/21 club is taken very seriously from my experience. Just another thing contributing to the Dec-March pile-up for college age players.

Maybe in Roscommon it is

Syferus

Quote from: heffo on December 26, 2015, 08:18:52 PM

Maybe in Roscommon it is

Same in Mayo. Same anywhere. It's the last chance for a lot of players to play at a decent level with their school friends.

heffo

Quote from: Syferus on December 26, 2015, 08:23:37 PM
Quote from: heffo on December 26, 2015, 08:18:52 PM

Maybe in Roscommon it is

Same in Mayo. Same anywhere. It's the last chance for a lot of players to play at a decent level with their school friends.

When you're running a dual calendar it's not possible

omaghjoe

Just read that article about McMahon. Top guy, fair play.
I've no problem with the way he behaves on the field, wingers will be wingers.

Although he hasnt had too many "moments" against Tyrone, tho no doubt that he will and my outrage will explode.