Former players becoming club managers

Started by droppingball, January 10, 2009, 08:21:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

droppingball

More and more ex-county players are taking charge of clubs, often outside their own counties. Obviously, it is a way of cutting their teeth if they have ambitions of managing at a higher level.
New club managers are being appointed all over the country around now. Any of your clubs appointing a 'big name' for 2009?

RedandGreenSniper

No so much players getting experience in the case of club's in Mayo, but former inter-county managers involved with clubs. John Maughan is managing Crossmolina (for the second time) this year while his selectors from 1996-99, Peter Ford and Tommy O'Malley, are in with Castlebar Mitchels for the second year (Ford as manager, O'Malley as one of his selectors. Not too many young managers and certainly no sign of any former inter-county lads taking their first step into club management this year
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

Rossfan

Quote from: droppingball on January 10, 2009, 08:21:27 PM
Obviously, it is a way of cutting their teeth if they have ambitions of managing at a higher level.

As long as its not about getting money...... ::)
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Donegal Danny

Barry O'Hagen the former Armagh player is taking over Glenswilly in Donegal this year. I think himself and Diarmuid Marsden took Clan Na Gael in Lurgan for the last 2 years. He has been living in Newtowncunningham for the last few years but this is his first step into Donegal football. Don't think he can play for Glenswilly but we will have to see what happens.

gerry

the gaeliclife had an article on it this week as well
God bless the hills of Dooish, be they heather-clad or lea,

thejuice

Colm Coyle now managing Kinnegad/Coralstown but thats a step down the ladder. David Beggy manged us for 2 seasons and was Meath selector the year after.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

stephenite

Liam McHale still managing Ballina Stephenites, James Horan managing Ballintubber also.

fitzroyalty

Quote from: Donegal Danny on January 11, 2009, 07:08:11 PM
Barry O'Hagen the former Armagh player is taking over Glenswilly in Donegal this year. I think himself and Diarmuid Marsden took Clan Na Gael in Lurgan for the last 2 years. He has been living in Newtowncunningham for the last few years but this is his first step into Donegal football. Don't think he can play for Glenswilly but we will have to see what happens.

It would be well worth persuading him to play. Easily one of the top 5 club players in Armagh the last decade

ziggysego

Testing Accessibility

illdecide

Quote from: fitzroyalty on January 11, 2009, 10:10:03 PM
Quote from: Donegal Danny on January 11, 2009, 07:08:11 PM

It would be well worth persuading him to play. Easily one of the top 5 club players in Armagh the last decade

thee top footballer in Armagh club football for the last 15 years and there is on-one close to him for the award. Indeed he was at the Clans for the last 4 years as manager. A midfielder who averaged 8pts a game and was consistanly thrown off and left the county panel because he wasn't allowed to play for his club. Also played in a club (friendly) game 10 days before the all-ireland final in 2002 where he broke a bone in his foot/ankle (not sure which one) and came on in the all-ireland final and turned the game for Armagh...(with a broken bone)
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

The GAA

Slightly rose tinted (nitpicking) but a fair assessment id. great footballer altogether.

Schkite

Nudie Hughes pver Armagh Harps, Mick O'Dowd over Cavan Gaels again.