Hawkeye

Started by Orangemac, February 23, 2011, 11:56:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bingo

One of lads I was up with was sitting in lower David and was sure it was a point.

Milltown Row2

If it goes over the top of the post its a wide. I looked at that on the day and found it strange also. But as you said from the angle given later it was wide.
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

ballinaman

Quote from: Bingo on September 24, 2013, 09:01:10 PM
One of lads I was up with was sitting in lower David and was sure it was a point.
Inches..cm's even. In the words of the great Páidí..."a f**king grain of rice will tip this game, a grain of rice".

Croí na hÉireann

I was in line with that in the Hogan and it looked over the post. If it's deemed to have hit the virtual extension of the post it is marked down as a wide for the simple reason that Hawkeye can't determine where the ball would have ended up after a virtual deflection. Hope that makes sense.
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

ballinaman

Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on September 25, 2013, 10:13:06 AM
I was in line with that in the Hogan and it looked over the post. If it's deemed to have hit the virtual extension of the post it is marked down as a wide for the simple reason that Hawkeye can't determine where the ball would have ended up after a virtual deflection. Hope that makes sense.
Ya, Hawkeye unable to determin if the ball would have clipped inside or came back out or wide..fair enough I suppose!

Jinxy

If you were any use you'd be playing.

muppet

That would made it a virtual draw. We lose the virtual replay by a point anyway so who cares?
MWWSI 2017

Jinxy

If you were any use you'd be playing.

Chimley

Quote from: ballinaman on September 25, 2013, 11:57:54 AM
Ya, Hawkeye unable to determin if the ball would have clipped inside or came back out or wide..fair enough I suppose!

That's surely basic maths.
You need the angle at which the ball hits the post ( already there or else they couldn't do the graphic).
The relationship between the centre point of the ball and the centre point of the virtual upright at the point of impact.

Any self respecting umpire with a protractor and compass could have the answer in a few minutes.

Bord na Mona man

So hawkeye would still be no use in a jumpers for goalposts game when the ball flies over the post.

johnneycool

Quote from: hardstation on September 25, 2013, 03:00:47 PM
I doubt it's that easy.

The ball would have to be uniform pressure etc Spin on the ball factored in.

A post is a wide makes more sense IMO.

What is the actual rule for the standard umpires if the ball is deemed to have went directly over the top of the post?

AZOffaly

Wide. It has to go between the posts. The line extends to infinity from beyond the top of each post. I know this because Ciaran McManus took a shot that hit infinity.

Dont Matter

Having the ref onside isn't good enough for the Dubs, now they have hawkeye as well.
'Dublin is not a national problem, it's a national opportunity.'
Peter Quinn

deiseach

Quote from: AZOffaly on September 25, 2013, 04:15:18 PM
Wide. It has to go between the posts. The line extends to infinity from beyond the top of each post. I know this because Larry Reilly took a shot that hit infinity.

Fixed that for you.

AZOffaly

No way deiseach. Anyone who has watched Offaly over the years will know what I mean. Kick like a train of mules.