Hawkeye

Started by Orangemac, February 23, 2011, 11:56:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Orangemac

http://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/championship/2011/0223/hawkeye.html

Good to see the GAA giving this a go.

Referees will get an instant result in terms of a score and will have the discretion to overrule this and this will cover scores only, so square balls, penalties will still be down to human decision making.

However if it means the days of teams losing games due to valid scores not counting and vice versa it can surely only be a good thing.

rashCharacter

How will this work, will the system only be setup in Croke Park or in every county ground for championship matches?

If its used for a championship match in Croke Park then the same rules must apply to every championship match.
I think this will go the same way as the video referee last year, the same rules must apply to every match regardless of whether it is live on Tv or subject to media analysis.

lynchbhoy

Quote from: rashCharacter on February 24, 2011, 03:15:52 AM
How will this work, will the system only be setup in Croke Park or in every county ground for championship matches?

If its used for a championship match in Croke Park then the same rules must apply to every championship match.
I think this will go the same way as the video referee last year, the same rules must apply to every match regardless of whether it is live on Tv or subject to media analysis.
would agree, but as we all know, not every referee is the same so that mantra you set out cannot be enforced.
No two games will be refereed the same unfortunately.
So it would be with hawkeye - if its only in croker (at least for the pilot) then teams would accept it. I'd certainly have no problem with that.

rrhf

To me its only an issue for disputed points, but lets put it like this I dont think it would have make any difference to some referees, you know the ones who are as mad as hatters, as much as Im against bad refereeing, I think if we remove that ability for the man in the middle to lose the bap and try to play crazy-God on the big day that craziness might just be something you wouldnt want to take out of the game.  As I get older I find refereeing performances can be as entertining as the match themselves.     

Gabriel_Hurl

Quote from: Orangemac on February 23, 2011, 11:56:06 PM
http://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/championship/2011/0223/hawkeye.html

Good to see the GAA giving this a go.

Referees will get an instant result in terms of a score and will have the discretion to overrule this and this will cover scores only, so square balls, penalties will still be down to human decision making.

However if it means the days of teams losing games due to valid scores not counting and vice versa it can surely only be a good thing.

How in god's name would Hawkeye help in these situations?

Orangemac

Not Hawkeye as such. Just that video replays are not being considered for any other contentious issues.

macdanger2

So do we have proper linesmen and umpires at every U-12 championship match??

The argument for resisting change like this on the basis that it has to be applied to every game equally is pure codswallop

under the bar

QuoteGood to see the GAA giving this a go.

How would it not?

johnneycool

Quote from: macdanger2 on February 24, 2011, 11:25:44 PM

So do we have proper linesmen and umpires at every U-12 championship match??

The argument for resisting change like this on the basis that it has to be applied to every game equally is pure codswallop

Holy god man, within reason. If they are going to use hawkeye in Crokepark for all AI championship games then its only fair that all teams competing in that competition are afforded the same facilities, the same with the use of video evidence last year where Mickey Harte was right to complain that his team was being harshly treated due to the fact that a lot of their games were televised and worse went on in games that weren't televised yet the CCCCCC took no action.

David McKeown

Quote from: under the bar on February 24, 2011, 11:51:11 PM
QuoteGood to see the GAA giving this a go.

How would it not?

The problem I have with video replays is that it creates a hierarchy of rules again.  Take this scenario Team A are playing Team B.  Team A's full forward takes a shot that hits the underside of the bar and bounces down.  The umpires award a goal only for Hawkeye to say the ball didnt fully cross the line so the decision is overruled.  Team B immediately attack from what i will assume is the resulting hop ball, they go up the pitch and lob a high ball into the square where their full forward is standing because the referee is following the flight of the ball he fails to spot the attacker is in the small square.  The full forward then finishes the ball to the net. Again an invalid goal is awarded this time however their is no recourse to technology for the team that is wronged.

I think the use of Hawk Eye is going to put more pressure on the referee and result in wronged teams feeling even more aggrieved that they currently.
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

theskull1

At at time when the country is in a deep recession why the GAA feels the need to introduce more expense in the hosting of what are amatuer games is beyond me. Have a bit of sense
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

Zulu

QuoteThe problem I have with video replays is that it creates a hierarchy of rules again.  Take this scenario Team A are playing Team B.  Team A's full forward takes a shot that hits the underside of the bar and bounces down.  The umpires award a goal only for Hawkeye to say the ball didnt fully cross the line so the decision is overruled.  Team B immediately attack from what i will assume is the resulting hop ball, they go up the pitch and lob a high ball into the square where their full forward is standing because the referee is following the flight of the ball he fails to spot the attacker is in the small square.  The full forward then finishes the ball to the net. Again an invalid goal is awarded this time however their is no recourse to technology for the team that is wronged.

I think the use of Hawk Eye is going to put more pressure on the referee and result in wronged teams feeling even more aggrieved that they currently.

I wouldn't accept that argument at all, surely it is better to get one decision right than two wrong? Regardless of the rules you implement you can always come up with a 'what if' situation where people can rightfully feel aggrieved. That doesn't mean we should avoid change, Hawkeye can help refs and ensure that scores are legitimate or not.

QuoteHoly god man, within reason. If they are going to use hawkeye in Crokepark for all AI championship games then its only fair that all teams competing in that competition are afforded the same facilities, the same with the use of video evidence last year where Mickey Harte was right to complain that his team was being harshly treated due to the fact that a lot of their games were televised and worse went on in games that weren't televised yet the CCCCCC took no action.

Mickey Harte was talking nonsense then. If you accept that argument then the same ref, linesmen and umpires would have to take control of every game if we are to afford the same 'facilities' to all teams. Why shouldn't we use Hawkeye in Croke Park if it can ensure a score is legitimate even if it isn't anywhere else? If you play club or university level football you might not have any umpires (or linesmen) and if you do they are often from the teams involved, yet other games at that level do have the full compliment of officials, should we therefore play none of these games unless all are played under the same level of officiating?

QuoteAt at time when the country is in a deep recession why the GAA feels the need to introduce more expense in the hosting of what are amatuer games is beyond me. Have a bit of sense

Should we just have refs at IC games to save a few pound? If the games being amateur means that we shouldn't concern ourselves with getting important decisions right and the recession means we need to cut costs then just get rid of umpires and linesmen and let team subs or officials do the job.

theskull1

Quote from: Zulu on February 25, 2011, 10:09:09 AM
QuoteAt at time when the country is in a deep recession why the GAA feels the need to introduce more expense in the hosting of what are amatuer games is beyond me. Have a bit of sense

Should we just have refs at IC games to save a few pound? If the games being amateur means that we shouldn't concern ourselves with getting important decisions right and the recession means we need to cut costs then just get rid of umpires and linesmen and let team subs or officials do the job.

:-\
In a recession especially you show that you make do with what you have without going to extra expense. They should in principle be making do rather than throwing money at technoligies we don't "really" need (unlike referees)
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

rrhf

Agreed hawkeye is unneccessary in an amateur game, I think we need to eliminating expense not adding to them. Would it even have made a difference in the Leinster final last year if fouls are not an issue. 

David McKeown

Quote from: Zulu on February 25, 2011, 10:09:09 AM
QuoteThe problem I have with video replays is that it creates a hierarchy of rules again.  Take this scenario Team A are playing Team B.  Team A's full forward takes a shot that hits the underside of the bar and bounces down.  The umpires award a goal only for Hawkeye to say the ball didnt fully cross the line so the decision is overruled.  Team B immediately attack from what i will assume is the resulting hop ball, they go up the pitch and lob a high ball into the square where their full forward is standing because the referee is following the flight of the ball he fails to spot the attacker is in the small square.  The full forward then finishes the ball to the net. Again an invalid goal is awarded this time however their is no recourse to technology for the team that is wronged.

I wouldn't accept that argument at all, surely it is better to get one decision right than two wrong? Regardless of the rules you implement you can always come up with a 'what if' situation where people can rightfully feel aggrieved. That doesn't mean we should avoid change, Hawkeye can help refs and ensure that scores are legitimate or not.

I accept your point about making only one mistake but Im not with you at all that Hawkeye can help ensure scores are legitimate, it can certainly tell when they are not but thats all and to that regard its use would for me create a hierarchy of rules.  Its implementation to me at least basically says its more important to know whether the whole of a ball was inside the whole of a post than it is to know if there was a foul in the build up to score or it is to know the ball was thrown over the bar.  I dont think its fair within the rules to create this hierarchy.

I presume too there would be no need for umpires anymore if these trials are a success?
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner