Casement Park in line for major overhaul - 40,000 all seater Stadium.

Started by Joxer, October 06, 2010, 02:42:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tony Baloney

The format of the stadium will fall into place. The crux of any redevelopment is going to revolve around access and parking. Easier said than done in residential Andytown.

ck

The argument that the Ulster final should not be taken out of Clones is an absolute nonsense. Why a stadium was ever built in Clones was crazy anyway... a clear case of gepgraphical inertia in that there was a big hill in Clones, it could hold a big crowd back in the stone ages... so lets retain it and put our stadium there. Regardless of the fact that Clones town is a dump, poor road access, a nightmare to get out of (especially when you loose!) and is so bad that it puts people off going!

I'm a Donegal man living in Sligo and I would travel to Casement any day of the week over Clones. There is also the benefit of making a weekend of it in Belfast for a big game. The best thing about Clones is the "Slán abhaile" sign.

I look forward to the re-development of Casement, especially if it means I never have to go to Clones again.

donelli

Quote from: ck on December 21, 2010, 10:39:30 PM
The argument that the Ulster final should not be taken out of Clones is an absolute nonsense. Why a stadium was ever built in Clones was crazy anyway... a clear case of gepgraphical inertia in that there was a big hill in Clones, it could hold a big crowd back in the stone ages... so lets retain it and put our stadium there. Regardless of the fact that Clones town is a dump, poor road access, a nightmare to get out of (especially when you loose!) and is so bad that it puts people off going!

I'm a Donegal man living in Sligo and I would travel to Casement any day of the week over Clones. There is also the benefit of making a weekend of it in Belfast for a big game. The best thing about Clones is the "Slán abhaile" sign.

I look forward to the re-development of Casement, especially if it means I never have to go to Clones again.

are you serious??? clones is a great town for the ulster final. its that sh1t ordinarily that when the ulster final arrives it is transformed into a great landscape of colour and banter.
an ulster final in belfast would get lost. somehting that happened when the ulster final sold out to croke park a number of years back. Theres no craic outside casement at all.

Simon Says

It will be a great arena for GAA, plus alot of people from non-gaa backgrounds will want to go watch games in such a stadium on there doorsteps, it will be great for west belfast also, after coming out of 30 years of conflict also, something that they can be proud of.

ck

I take what you are saying Donelli but one big hill up to a major stadium is mental. Yeah the colour is great but the town is an absolute kip and the Ulster final brightens it up but a new stadium at Casement would add to the attraction of the GAA. Major finals should be in major cities... not some hole in the middle of no-where.

donelli

Quote from: ck on December 22, 2010, 02:28:30 PM
I take what you are saying Donelli but one big hill up to a major stadium is mental. Yeah the colour is great but the town is an absolute kip and the Ulster final brightens it up but a new stadium at Casement would add to the attraction of the GAA. Major finals should be in major cities... not some hole in the middle of no-where.

so you think the munster hurling finals should be played in Cork instead of Thurles??

ck

Have you been in Thurles? I have. Big wide main street with cafes, bars and restaurants. Not a big town but works well for big match day. Nothing like Clones.
ps: Thurles is where the GAA was founded... so no matter what the town it should have a stadium. Clones never should have developed a stadium. I understand the 1980's midset of supporting deprived border areas and not having to pay match tax to Maggie Thatcher at the time but it was a very poor location choice.

Milltown Row2

Thurles is great, party atmosphere with plenty of bars and able to hold big crowds.

I must say we had a ball at the Ulster final (In Clones) when Antrim got there. I suppose the novelty factor played in and we didn't really care about the 3 hour journey home and delays on the way down (plenty of drink) but if i were from a county that had to go there regularly say like Tyrone Armagh (and they are close) I'd be pissed off.

As for Casement getting the new build, sure its money given by the Gov and it will hardly go anywhere else. I'm sure if Clones ask the Irish goverment nicely, they will get the same :P
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Maguire01

Quote from: ck on December 23, 2010, 10:46:17 AM
Have you been in Thurles? I have. Big wide main street with cafes, bars and restaurants. Not a big town but works well for big match day. Nothing like Clones.
ps: Thurles is where the GAA was founded... so no matter what the town it should have a stadium. Clones never should have developed a stadium. I understand the 1980's midset of supporting deprived border areas and not having to pay match tax to Maggie Thatcher at the time but it was a very poor location choice.
What has the 1980s got to do with it?

armaghniac

QuoteWhat has the 1980s got to do with it?

That's when the GAA started in Donegal.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Simon Says

kids within the city will see the huge stadium, it will drive kids into GAA clubs as a childs mindset of " i would love to play there one day", instead of the attractions of local soccer clubs. it can only boost the influx in the amount of kids from grass roots level to stick with the GAA sports.

Maguire01

Quote from: Simon Says on December 23, 2010, 01:51:58 PM
kids within the city will see the huge stadium, it will drive kids into GAA clubs as a childs mindset of " i would love to play there one day", instead of the attractions of local soccer clubs. it can only boost the influx in the amount of kids from grass roots level to stick with the GAA sports.
Has this happened in inner-city Dublin?

ck

Quote from: Maguire01 on December 23, 2010, 12:35:51 PM

I didnt realise I would have to explain what the 1980's had to do with Clones... and you a Monaghan man Maguire!
The decision to re-develop Clones was taken in the 1980's.. at a time when the border areas were economically deprived. I'm not saying much has changed in that resepct but Clones was a poor choice even back then. Casement was always a better long term option.

Maguire01

Quote from: ck on December 23, 2010, 05:46:09 PM
Quote from: Maguire01 on December 23, 2010, 12:35:51 PM

I didnt realise I would have to explain what the 1980's had to do with Clones... and you a Monaghan man Maguire!
The decision to re-develop Clones was taken in the 1980's.. at a time when the border areas were economically deprived. I'm not saying much has changed in that resepct but Clones was a poor choice even back then. Casement was always a better long term option.
Clones had been the venue for the Ulster Final well before the most recent development. There was no increase in capacity, just upgrading the standard, the same as with every county ground in the province.

ck

Clones had been the venue for the Ulster Final well before the most recent development. There was no increase in capacity, just upgrading the standard, the same as with every county ground in the province.
[/quote]

Nobody said that Clones wasnt the Ulster final venue previous to the redevelopment! My point is that it was selcted for substantial upgrade as Ulsters premier ground, which imo was totally wrong. As for it being upgraded the same as every other county, absolute nonsense!!! Clones was hand picked as a provincial ground and received funding to reflect this. County grounds are developed by the counties with support funding with much less development than Clones received. For me, Clones is the best ground in Ulster by far. It's the town and the infrastructure around it that lets it down. It should never have been selected for upgrade over Casement or Omagh.