The OFFICIAL Liverpool FC thread - Jurgen walks - Stallion vindicated

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, February 05, 2009, 03:47:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

magpie seanie

Super result for Liverpool. After getting such a great start it was a huge added bonus to keep the clean sheet. Even one goal for city would have kept the tie somewhat in the balance. Now it seems highly unlikely city can overturn this as you'd have to expect Liverpool to score in the second leg. The way Liverpool went about there work tells a simple story - they have a manager who

(a) trusts his players - very clear they're playing with confidence and not afraid to make mistakes;
(b) works with his players to improve them - TAA has been poor at times but was really good last night, Oxlade Chamberlain was a bit of a donkey early in the season but has really developed, there are many others who could be spoken about here
(c) can adapt tactically as required before and during games - thought it interesting they didn't really do the high press as they did in the league game. Also thought it was good that he didn't resort to taking attackers off and putting extra defenders on.

Liverpool aren't the finished article but they're doing brilliantly with the resources and players they have at their disposal. It sickens me to say that but credit where it's due.

City looked poor and tired. Silva always wears down and finishes seasons poorly and he looked a shadow of himself last night. Despite all the money they've spent I think he's still a very key man. Aguero also. They've the league wrapped up so I wouldn't be surprised if they rested their top guys at the weekend (they'll probably still get a result but if they don't they'll get over it).

Milltown Row2

Quote from: blewuporstuffed on April 05, 2018, 08:52:15 AM
Quote from: mouview on April 05, 2018, 12:03:48 AM
Quote from: Capt Pat on April 04, 2018, 10:17:35 PM
A great night for liverpool. City didn't even have a shot on target. 3-0, it should be enough to see Liverpool through.

Not quite true. City had a goal ruled out for offside later in the second half when a strong case could be made for Sane being on when the pass was made. Typically the RTE lads didn't pick up on it in their haste to harangue Citeh.

So it is true then?  ???
If the goal was ruled out then it doesnt count as a shot on target surely?
Certainly lucky , in that it could have been allowed, but it wasn't so....

I wouldnt worry about getting the breaks, that happens, in some games it doesnt happen, Liverpool were top notch in that first half and actually didnt look too worried in the second even though City had a lot more of the ball, City had no real front man which hasnt been a problem all season, but looked to be their failing last night..

Do Liverpool soak up some pressure on the return leg and counter or do what they did again? Hard one to call
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

laoislad

Quote from: magpie seanie on April 05, 2018, 09:17:36 AM
Super result for Liverpool. After getting such a great start it was a huge added bonus to keep the clean sheet. Even one goal for city would have kept the tie somewhat in the balance. Now it seems highly unlikely city can overturn this as you'd have to expect Liverpool to score in the second leg. The way Liverpool went about there work tells a simple story - they have a manager who

(a) trusts his players - very clear they're playing with confidence and not afraid to make mistakes;
(b) works with his players to improve them - TAA has been poor at times but was really good last night, Oxlade Chamberlain was a bit of a donkey early in the season but has really developed, there are many others who could be spoken about here
(c) can adapt tactically as required before and during games - thought it interesting they didn't really do the high press as they did in the league game. Also thought it was good that he didn't resort to taking attackers off and putting extra defenders on.

Liverpool aren't the finished article but they're doing brilliantly with the resources and players they have at their disposal. It sickens me to say that but credit where it's due.

City looked poor and tired. Silva always wears down and finishes seasons poorly and he looked a shadow of himself last night. Despite all the money they've spent I think he's still a very key man. Aguero also. They've the league wrapped up so I wouldn't be surprised if they rested their top guys at the weekend (they'll probably still get a result but if they don't they'll get over it).
Fair play seanie.
Wouldn't be as sure as you that the tie is over though.

Liverpool certainly not the finished article as you say and I feel this summers transfer window is probably the most important for Liverpool in years. They need to keep hold of the likes of Salah Mane and Firmino and add real quality.
Keita coming is a great start.
Performances like that last night can only help when trying to sign top players.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

yellowcard

Not much talk about it but Liverpools first goal last night was definitely offside whilst City had one disallowed late on which looked onside. I'm surprised City never made more out of this in interviews afterwards. Those 2 decisions could easily have gone the other way and we'd be looking at an entirely different outcome.

It is very unlikely City will progress now but English football is some way behind the big 2 Spanish clubs and Bayern. I thought the quality of the game last night was mediocre.

magpie seanie

Quote from: yellowcard on April 05, 2018, 09:42:24 AM
Not much talk about it but Liverpools first goal last night was definitely offside whilst City had one disallowed late on which looked onside. I'm surprised City never made more out of this in interviews afterwards. Those 2 decisions could easily have gone the other way and we'd be looking at an entirely different outcome.

It is very unlikely City will progress now but English football is some way behind the big 2 Spanish clubs and Bayern. I thought the quality of the game last night was mediocre.

I honestly believe the physical toll hits players this year from playing in the Premier League. My belief (and it's only a belief without any data to back it up) is that the Premier League is a more physically demanding league and this tells in March/April. Bayern have a simple task of winning their league and in reality there are plenty of chances to rest players in Spain for Real and Barca.

Regarding your other points - Liverpool did get some breaks. I also seem to remember a potential hand ball by a player on the ground that could have been a penalty. Luck does tend to balance itself out overall though.

yellowcard

Quote from: magpie seanie on April 05, 2018, 09:51:33 AM
Quote from: yellowcard on April 05, 2018, 09:42:24 AM

I honestly believe the physical toll hits players this year from playing in the Premier League. My belief (and it's only a belief without any data to back it up) is that the Premier League is a more physically demanding league and this tells in March/April. Bayern have a simple task of winning their league and in reality there are plenty of chances to rest players in Spain for Real and Barca.

Regarding your other points - Liverpool did get some breaks. I also seem to remember a potential hand ball by a player on the ground that could have been a penalty. Luck does tend to balance itself out overall though.

There might be a little bit of truth in what you say but for the last 5/6 years the top English teams are well below the level of the big 3 of Real, Barca and Bayern who seem to make the semis almost every single year. I'm not just saying it because of last night but City have been over hyped because they have coasted to the English title but in European terms they are still not at a level needed to win the competition. City have had ample chances to rest players over the last few weeks with the league done and dusted and no FA cup so I don't think they can use that as an excuse for last nights performance. 

Milltown Row2

Liverpool are 1/9 to progress, thats done and dusted in anyone eyes
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Maroon Manc

Liverpool outstanding, looks like they've shown the template on how to beat this City team. City are more than capable of scoring 3 or 4 goals against Liverpool but if you can play like that last night there's easily a few goals in Liverpool as long as Salah is fit. Liverpool defended brilliantly last night especially in that 2nd half, for all that possession City created nothing.

Ambrose

I've not seen a scouser so excited over one leg since Paul McCartney met Heather Mills...
You can't live off history and tradition forever

StGallsGAA

Quote from: laoislad on April 05, 2018, 08:12:53 AM
Yeah a shame a couple of idiots have to ruin it for everyone else.
A couple?? Couple of hundred more like ye ballix.   Surprising that you haven't tried to blame the City bus driver or something like when you accused the United fans of bringing the Munich chants on themselves.   ::)

AZOffaly

He's an Everton fan. They were worse hit than any other English clubs after Heysel.

Armamike

Awesome first half from Liverpool. That's the way football should be played. Full of intensity, passion, speed and guile. City didn't know whether to sit deep or come out and play. They were bamboozled. By the time they got back some composure it was 3 nil and a long way back.  Liverpool got the breaks with a couple of key decisions but they were good value for the 3 goal win. Thought the ref let the game flow well.  The second half was equally pleasing as it showed the growing maturity in this Liverpool team and better game management. There have been signs over the past few months (around the time VVD arrived) that the stupid mistakes and lack of organisation at the back were being ironed out.  There's more composure and resilience.  This will be tested again in the return leg if City score early, but whatever happens, things are developing nicely.

Disappointing to see the City bus getting attacked.  Morons. 

That's just, like your opinion man.

Gaaboardmod3

4. Inappropriate posts, incitement or racist posting.
   This is a very broad topic, and can be the most subjective in the way the moderators view things. In general, it would be the 'good manners' rule. Specific examples of
    inappropriate posts would be the following. (This list is by no means conclusive)
      - Abusive posts between fans of soccer teams, clearly not part of good humoured banter. Mentions of Hillsborough, Munich, Heysel or alluding to these incidents in a         way designed to incite other posters to break forum rules.
      - Sectarian posts, or posts advocating violence against any community or person. Some of the topics under discussion from the different cultures on this island have
        come close to this. That will not be allowed or accomodated.
      - Racist posts, including posts propogating racist views about any race or community.
      - inappropriate posts such as the Maddie McCann jokes etc.

Penalties - 1st Offence - Warning, Second Offence - 10 Day Ban, Third Offence - Permanent Ban

Consider this the warning.

Gabriel_Hurl

Can people just put that clown on ignore and avoid him?

J70

Hope they identify the scumbags who damaged the bus. There is no place for that kind of shite anymore, and with the amount of phone footage about, as well as whatever public and TV cameras show, they should have little problem bringing these halfwits to justice and throwing the book at them.

Can't see what the club could do given it was not on their property and was a police matter, but if UEFA comes down on them, so be it. You can't defend that shit. Given that this happens quite regularly across Europe, there obviously should be plenty of precedent for them to fall back on.

I would think it will take a bit of balls on the part of any Liverpool fans heading to the Etihad next week though.

On the game itself, outstanding performance, even if the team got lucky, especially, with the disallowed City goal. Salah's was marginal, but even at that, City had multiple opportunities to defend it and clear the danger. How they left Salah in such acres of room in the first place is what they SHOULD be focused on. You'd wonder why City weren't better prepared, given that they suffered the exact same pumelling in the league match two months ago.