Formula 1

Started by Eamonnca1, March 07, 2018, 12:27:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eamonnca1

Any fans on here?

I thought it was a bit dull during the Schumacher years, and the year when the Mercedes Silver Arrows were ahead of the pack was a bit predictable. Seems to be a bit tighter now though. Merc and Ferrari are a bit closer in standard. Will be interesting to see if Red Bull can close the gap. McLaren has gone to the dogs but there's hope of a comeback this year. Hamilton and Vettel seem to have a nice little rivalry going.

I think I might pay it a bit of attention. Could be a better use of time than watching pro cycling where the result is always in doubt even years after the fact because of doping.

LooseCannon

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on March 07, 2018, 12:27:17 AM
Any fans on here?

I thought it was a bit dull during the Schumacher years, and the year when the Mercedes Silver Arrows were ahead of the pack was a bit predictable. Seems to be a bit tighter now though. Merc and Ferrari are a bit closer in standard. Will be interesting to see if Red Bull can close the gap. McLaren has gone to the dogs but there's hope of a comeback this year. Hamilton and Vettel seem to have a nice little rivalry going.

I think I might pay it a bit of attention. Could be a better use of time than watching pro cycling where the result is always in doubt even years after the fact because of doping.

I used to think that it was boring, but after looking at one race for a while, I was and still am glued to it.
Forza Ferrari!

sensethetone

First F1 grand prix I watched Senna was killed, although the race resumed I wanted the Ferrari's to win but Schumacher won I think. From then on the BBC coverage was all Damon Hill vs Schumacher which converted me to a Schumacher fan. last year certainly seemed like the gap between the top two was closing, think Mercedes probably are ahead.
Anyone on a F1 fantasy league?

GJL

I think it will be tighter this year and also think/hope Vettel will win the Championship. It should of been a lot closer last year only for him loosing his head in a few races mid season. Would also be a big fan of Alonso and would love to see him in a competitive car. IMO he is the most talented driver on the grid..

trailer

Agree Alonso is the most talented driver. Would love to see Red Bull make a real push this year. Thoughts on the Toro Roso and their switch to Honda? The engine looks more reliable this year.

McLaren don't seem to have made any reliability gains even with the switch to Renault? Surely it's not McLaren's fault. We were led to believe they had one of the best chassis last year and it was all Honda's fault......  :o

Hound

Verstappen and his Aussie team mate are my favourites. Presume they haven't moved?

I watch most of the races, but would always record and watch later rather than watch live. I'd always watch the Brundle pit walk, and then first 2 laps. Then fast forward through the rest of the race, back to normal speed around the time of the pit stops.

Easy Sunday afternoon viewing. Helps pass the time so I don't have to watch the soccer live and so can fast forward through that.

Windmill abu

Alonzo has been the most talented driver. But he seems to have become a bit jaded during his time at McLaren. I think his ambitions lie elsewhere in the motor racing world. The most talented of the younger drivers is Verstappen. I admire his loyalty to Red Bull but I can see him winning several world championships in the future behind the wheel of the prancing horse.
I hope the new HALO systems introduced this year don't take away from the excitement. (It's Health & Safety gone mad let me tell you)
Never underestimate the power of complaining

illdecide

I used to love the sport but have fallen by the wayside...the days of Eddie Irvine, Schumacher etc was great. Eddie would have taken out anyone, was dangerous. The refueling was great as someone always made a cockup but they took that out of it too, very boring now but maybe things have changed now as it's been a few years from i actually watched a race live.
Used to love playing the F1 on the playstation...
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

GJL

Quote from: illdecide on March 07, 2018, 03:56:36 PM
I used to love the sport but have fallen by the wayside...the days of Eddie Irvine, Schumacher etc was great. Eddie would have taken out anyone, was dangerous. The refueling was great as someone always made a cockup but they took that out of it too, very boring now but maybe things have changed now as it's been a few years from i actually watched a race live.
Used to love playing the F1 on the playstation...

Biggest sin of all is that they are taking away the grid girls! :'( :'(

Rich Ricci

Always been a fan of Ferrari so hoping Vettel can secure their 1st title since 2007. Can't stand that p***k Hamilton either so that would be another bonus to a Vettel victory.  ;D

Eamonnca1

I quite like this Daniel Ricciardo fella, would like to see him progressing. 

One to watch could be the rookie Charles Leclerc. I recently watched him nailing it in the F2 World Championship in 2017 and he seems to be a very talented fella. Racing with Sauber this year, will be interesting to see if any rainy days help him out. He's only 20.

Denn Forever

From a racing point of view, F2 is more racing than F1 for me. 
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

Eamonnca1

There's some great Formula Ford stuff on YouTube too. Very interesting to see how that wheel-to-wheel racing looks from the driver's POV.

Speaking of YouTube, F1 has their own YouTube channel and there's some great stuff in there! Check out the funny team radio compilations!

Eamonnca1

Quote from: Windmill abu on March 07, 2018, 03:27:41 PM
I hope the new HALO systems introduced this year don't take away from the excitement. (It's Health & Safety gone mad let me tell you)

I'm willing to give it a chance. Sure the first wings in F1 were ugly as sin, but it's hard to imagine the cars without them now.

And what if we had better head protection in 1994 at Imola? Senna would still be around and we'd have gotten to see how much potential he really had.

Anyway, I hear they're still working on head protection and they might come up with a good clear screen that can take the same pounding. So the halo might be temporary.

Eamonnca1

Good start to the season for Vettel. Looking like a bit of competitiveness between the top 3 teams. Hopefully it won't be so predictable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SONGEiVMygg