Casement Park in line for major overhaul - 40,000 all seater Stadium.

Started by Joxer, October 06, 2010, 02:42:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

five points

Grounds in corners of the country - think Ballybofey, Wexford Park, Fitzgerald Stadium - tend rarely if ever to get high-profile games except as a home venue for one of the competing teams.

illdecide

It's not all about how many big games will it get...The Antrim Gaels deserve it as it's their County ground, their club championships deserve a proper stadium for semi finals and finals. Their County footballers and Hurlers deserve a proper stadium for their Co matches, a ground to call HOME.
It can and will host the Ulster finals and showcase the ground off to everyone else, it will bring in jobs to the area and it will be used 7 days a week for conferences and meeting etc. It will be used for business usage and needs built ASAP.
I remember Athletic grounds (Armagh) being constructed and having to travel to Crossmaglen for finals and Co matches which was a pain in the arse and we were lucky that Crossmaglen had a good ground and facilities to accommodate Armagh, I don't believe Antrim have this luxury setup within their clubs setups...

Long story short no matter what you all think is it needs built ASAP and should be, the money has to be found from somewhere and get it done. The money is for just Casement and no other site (before that comes up again), Antrim football and Hurling will only improve for it...
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

johnnycool

Quote from: illdecide on March 14, 2019, 09:41:26 AM
It's not all about how many big games will it get...The Antrim Gaels deserve it as it's their County ground, their club championships deserve a proper stadium for semi finals and finals. Their County footballers and Hurlers deserve a proper stadium for their Co matches, a ground to call HOME.
It can and will host the Ulster finals and showcase the ground off to everyone else, it will bring in jobs to the area and it will be used 7 days a week for conferences and meeting etc. It will be used for business usage and needs built ASAP.
I remember Athletic grounds (Armagh) being constructed and having to travel to Crossmaglen for finals and Co matches which was a pain in the arse and we were lucky that Crossmaglen had a good ground and facilities to accommodate Armagh, I don't believe Antrim have this luxury setup within their clubs setups...

Long story short no matter what you all think is it needs built ASAP and should be, the money has to be found from somewhere and get it done. The money is for just Casement and no other site (before that comes up again), Antrim football and Hurling will only improve for it...

Antrim won't own it, Ulster GAA will by the looks of it.

You'd hope that Antrim would have the use of it at their request all the same.

trailer

Ulster GAA should have a fit for purpose ground. There is no good reason for this not to happen. Politicians and the GAA need to come out and push this issue forward. The community groups must be faced down. Their objections are not valid, it is a case of NIMBY. 

five points

Quote from: illdecide on March 14, 2019, 09:41:26 AM

The idea that the GAA should repeat the Pairc Ui Chaoimh fiasco by blowing tens of millions on building an unwanted palace to hold the Antrim club championship semi finals and finals is crazy.

Rossfan

Why did they shut it down altogether?
Whatever the outcome I would have expected the Stadium would continue to be used till work started.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

armaghniac

Quote from: Rossfan on March 14, 2019, 11:05:00 AM
Whatever the outcome I would have expected the Stadium would continue to be used till work started.

Keeping it open would be common sense. I'd love to know who decided to do otherwise.

If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Jeepers Creepers

Quote from: Rossfan on March 14, 2019, 11:05:00 AM

They (all stakeholders involved) assumed there would be no objections and work would start on it ASAP. How did that go!?

Tony Baloney

They have spent 10 million to date for no return. When it was clear this was going nowhere fast, some of that money should have been put into tidying up the existing stand to allow for continued use pending a final decision.

five points

My guess is that the Ulster Council realised at the outset that the British government offer was too good to be true and that it would likely be scrapped if circumstances changed or anything happened Cameron's government.

So they deliberately put themselves in a position where there would be no stadium at all if it didn't get completed.

But they never spotted the planning issues.

Heads must roll.

armaghniac

Quote from: five points on March 14, 2019, 01:14:32 PM
My guess is that the Ulster Council realised at the outset that the British government offer was too good to be true and that it would likely be scrapped if circumstances changed or anything happened Cameron's government.

So they deliberately put themselves in a position where there would be no stadium at all if it didn't get completed.

But they never spotted the planning issues.

Heads must roll.

The proper thing to do was to demolish the main stand or some such, but carefully not damage the pitch. This would create a need for the work, without completely depriving Antrim of the use of the ground.

Milltown Row2

Just listened to the head woman at the civil service talk about Casement, passing the buck and the ministers and political parties here should take a fecking reddner. Embarrassing
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Ronnie

What do yous all make of the latest World Cup bid?   I think it's guff.

Kidder81

armaghniac

latest
https://ulster.gaa.ie/2019/11/letter-to-all-gaa-units-in-ulster-from-tom-daly-chairman-of-casement-park-stadium-development-project-board/

Apparently it will accommodate 34,500 inclusive of 8,500 standing with roof capacity for all spectators.
Roof capacity is perhaps an unfortunate wording.