All Ireland club football championships 2023/24

Started by Blowitupref, January 06, 2023, 09:18:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

general_lee

The cynic in me thinks it was deliberate by KC, either way It's a really hollow victory.

yellowcard

Quote from: Cavan19 on January 23, 2023, 10:21:10 AM
Quote from: yellowcard on January 23, 2023, 10:14:29 AM
The GAA will be really hoping that Glen do not appeal this result. Because if they do it puts them in a huge quandry as they might have to take some form of action, otherwise it sets a dangerous precedent. On the other hand I don't think Glen would be successful if they appealed it as the cup has been lifted and we know how the GAA works. Malachy O'Rourke sounded like he didn't want to go down that route whereas the Glen chairman was less committal.

If they appealed they would be successful a clear rule has been broken its black and white here.

I don't think they would. The optics of a side lifting the trophy, celebrating victory only to later overturn the result or order a replay would be too embarrassing for the GAA to countenance. They would find a loophole to avoid such a scenario. I don't think Glen will appeal anyway since if you put it into context, they weren't blatantly robbed of victory in a way that say Louth were when Sheridan scored the goal for Meath.

6th sam

Quote from: shark on January 23, 2023, 09:53:21 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on January 23, 2023, 09:32:14 AM
Quote from: 6th sam on January 23, 2023, 09:11:48 AM
It actually struck me at the end of the game how chaotic KC's attempts to get subs on was. As neutrals we commented that it was unusual at the time. Also commented that KC had literally everyone back. They got stung last year and were being really stretched by Glen. Their management will have come to the conclusion that they were vulnerable at the end of games. Taking in all these factors, the current in-depth prep and "win-at-all " costs mentality of top teams, it would be a master stroke to try to get extra bodies in the defence at the end . Repelling Glen's final attacks were helped by the crowding , not just physically but the Visual deterrent of numbers back defending and lack of space . Whether this was an incredibly cynical tactic or by accident , it must be seen to be penalised or now many others  will be at it, especially when only the referee officiating . Tbf to KC management another explanation for the chaos could be the rush to get players on the field to keep them sweet with a bit of AI game-time , as they lost their place to "tribesman" Shane Walsh.
I hesitate to be critical of KC as they operate a brilliant club in a challenging environment, but this must be a hollow victory for most club stalwarts. On reflection, They'll be annoyed, no doubt , that it looks like their all-ireland would never have happened if they hadn't have pulled in the second best player in Ireland for a few months. Despite the cries of "Noice peno, ShaneO" , he's not one of their own , and the genuine KC gaels will have their heads in their hands this morning , wondering if it was all worth it.
Not wanting to take away from the great work being done in KC, but the Shane Walsh fiasco dominated the conversation amongst everyone I talked to about the match .."not a good look".
It's no consolation to Glen , but without Shane Walsh , and just 15 opposition players on the pitch they would have been AI champs, by some distance .
Regarding the extra players, if there isn't a rule to heavily penalise this, there should be.

Do you honestly believe that the clubmen of KC will have looked at this win and be annoyed? They seemed very happy at the final whistle

They won't be the slightest bit annoyed. They'll look around the clubhouse at lads they've known since 5 years of age , who are now all Ireland champions. They won't even consider the "why".

Yes MR, on reflection and with hindsight , they'll be wondering could they have done it without parachuting in the second best player in Ireland . Throw in the , probably cynical,  17 defender fiasco as well, it's a hollow victory at best, and their promotional message to their young players and potential members is sullied .
Compare that with Kilcoo, where all players came from the same rural primary school , or indeed the Cliffords winning Junior All-Ireland with Fossa.

The GAA is not like any other sport . It doesn't have an international dimension and there's no "pay for play" , but it retains it's popularity for players , and indeed , is able to punch above it's weight,  because of its ethos. Other sports admire and envy this ethos , and it should not be diluted.
City and large town clubs are advantaged by Weight of numbers , including adults migrating for work. Nobody can stop a Shane Walsh moving to Dublin for work or study , but when they get there, should there not be more regulation  on what club they choose?
St Galls AI team , for example, was bolstered by "outsiders" and good luck to you, it was all within the rules. But this is open to abuse. It would completely destroy the GAA in rural areas if more students transfer to city clubs .
The Shane Walsh scenario has been a major talking point and will leave a sour taste for those players that missed out, not just for loss of game-time , but the feeling that their AI victory is sullied. Craig Dyas , for example, is the outstanding KC player IMO , but nobody's talking about him, they're talking about a Galway freetaker parachuted in for a few months. It's not right , not just for the integrity of the GAA but for undermining the KC club. Because all KC lads were cheering at the end doesn't make it right. We all cheer any victory we're involved in , even if it's "hollow".

Hectic

Should be back and white.

Glen pushing for a goal, opposition add an extra defender illegally and avoid conceding.

Match should be null and void.

But this is the GAA we are talking about where rules are not always rules.

shark

Quote from: 93-DY-SAM on January 23, 2023, 09:56:11 AM
They won't be the slightest bit annoyed. They'll look around the clubhouse at lads they've known since 5 years of age, who are now all Ireland champions. They won't even consider the "why".

LMFAO

Look, if it makes you feel better to tell yourself that the members of KC will see this in someway as a hollow victory, then tell yourself that. We can all look from the outside and see that this transfer was a nonsense. We can also make an assessment and say that they wouldn't even have got out of Dublin without this transfer (given that they beat NF by skin of their teeth).
However I can tell you that the members of KC won't give a single damn, and they won't even hear these arguments. They'll be in their own little euphoric bubble. And, they will think exactly as I stated above.

clarshack

Quote from: Cavan19 on January 23, 2023, 10:21:10 AM
Quote from: yellowcard on January 23, 2023, 10:14:29 AM
The GAA will be really hoping that Glen do not appeal this result. Because if they do it puts them in a huge quandry as they might have to take some form of action, otherwise it sets a dangerous precedent. On the other hand I don't think Glen would be successful if they appealed it as the cup has been lifted and we know how the GAA works. Malachy O'Rourke sounded like he didn't want to go down that route whereas the Glen chairman was less committal.

If they appealed they would be successful a clear rule has been broken its black and white here.

Corduff played an U-16 against Swanlinbar in the 2010 Ulster Junior club final. Swanlinbar objected looking a replay but the rules stated in black and white that the penalty for Corduff was to forfeit the game and they did. In yesterday's case there is an option for a replay:

Official Guide:

6.44 Rules of Specification and Control - Penalties
Penalties for breaches of the above Rules shall be as follows:
(a) A team failing to field a minimum of thirteen players for the
commencement of a game:
Penalty : Forfeiture of Game and Award to the Opposing
Team.
(b) (i) A team exceeding the number of players permitted
under Rule 2.1 Rules of Specification, Playing Rules:

(ii) A team exceeding the number of substitutions
GAMES - GENERAL
permitted under Rules 2.3 (i) and (ii) or breaching Rule
2.3 (iv), Rules of Specification, Playing Rules:
Penalties:
On a proven Objection - Award of Game to the Opposing
Team, or Replay, or Fine, depending on the circumstances.
On an Inquiry by the Committee-in-Charge - Forfeiture of
Game without Award of Game to the Opposing Team, or
Replay, or Fine, depending on the circumstances.

(c) (i) Failure to provide a list of Players as specified in Rule:
(ii) A Substitution (including a Temporary Substitution)
being made of a player whose name is not supplied
to the Referee or the Sideline Official, as appropriate,
and as specified in Rule:
(iii) In Inter-County games, a Substitution, (including
a Temporary Substitution) being made of a player
whose name is not on the list of Players supplied to the
Referee:
Penalty:
On an Inquiry by the Committee-in-Charge - Forfeiture
of Game, without Award to the Opposing Team, or Fine,
depending on the circumstances.

Armagh18

The GAA should be getting out in front of this and declaring a replay. Embarrassing tbh.

nrico2006

Is there a penalty stated for having extra players on?
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Armagh18

Quote from: shark on January 23, 2023, 10:36:44 AM
They won't be the slightest bit annoyed. They'll look around the clubhouse at lads they've known since 5 years of age, who are now all Ireland champions. They won't even consider the "why".

LMFAO

Look, if it makes you feel better to tell yourself that the members of KC will see this in someway as a hollow victory, then tell yourself that. We can all look from the outside and see that this transfer was a nonsense. We can also make an assessment and say that they wouldn't even have got out of Dublin without this transfer (given that they beat NF by skin of their teeth).
However I can tell you that the members of KC won't give a single damn, and they won't even hear these arguments. They'll be in their own little euphoric bubble. And, they will think exactly as I stated above.
They'll not care. The rest of us will always see the asterisk next to this title but.

seafoid

Quote from: nrico2006 on January 23, 2023, 10:38:18 AM
Is there a penalty stated for having extra players on?
Rules say either replay, forfeiture or fine
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

OrchardOrange

Any Kilmacud members on the board?  Can we ask how do you feel having won the Cup by cheating?

straightred

Quote from: Armagh18 on January 23, 2023, 10:37:28 AM
The GAA should be getting out in front of this and declaring a replay. Embarrassing tbh.

Agree. It shouldn't be about Glen and if and when they appeal. Its a black and white case. We all know what happened. There's no need for inviting Glen to a meeting or anything like that. The GAA need to make a decision based on their own rules (today preferably)

6th sam

Quote from: Armagh18 on January 23, 2023, 10:38:23 AM
Quote from: shark on January 23, 2023, 10:36:44 AM

LMFAO

They'll not care. The rest of us will always see the asterisk next to this title but.

Oh , they will care, no matter how much they try. It's not right. KC are not the club they are without having integrity, honesty and fair play in droves , amongst their large membership. I've no doubt these conversations are happening within KC and many will want to be taking the high moral ground on this by engaging with The GAA and Glen on this , to protect the reputation of the club. KC already have AIs, and won't want the stench of this latest dubious one to impact their reputation going forward . PR wise it's been a disaster for them. Even the KC  celebrations in the crowd were muted. I'd be surprised if they don't take the initiative on this , and get it resolved .

naka

Quote from: OrchardOrange on January 23, 2023, 10:43:01 AM
Any Kilmacud members on the board?  Can we ask how do you feel having won the Cup by cheating?
tbf harsh
was at the game and thought Glenn under performed that being said in real time i didnt think it was a penalty ( outside the box) and as usual we didnt get a replay on the big screen. no 11 for glenn had a mighty game .
my club lost an ulster club championship game in the late 70s when the ref blew it up 5 minutes early with a point in it  and trust me the old guys are still going on about it so will be interesting what teh GAA does.