All Ireland club football championships 2023/24

Started by Blowitupref, January 06, 2023, 09:18:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

marty34

I'd say any manager, worth his salt, whose team is a couple of points up this incoming season will be making a few subs in injury time and leaving one of the players on the pitch.

Armagh18

Quote from: marty34 on January 23, 2023, 07:27:53 AM
I'd say any manager, worth his salt, whose team is a couple of points up this incoming season will be making a few subs in injury time and leaving one of the players on the pitch.
Precedent has been set buck. Buck has got to stop with the ref/4th official. Shouldn't get another game for a long time. Any game I ever played the ref made sure he saw which player was going off for any sub coming on. If they're taking the piss add time on like feck for it. Really really bare minimum stuff

6th sam

It actually struck me at the end of the game how chaotic KC's attempts to get subs on was. As neutrals we commented that it was unusual at the time. Also commented that KC had literally everyone back. They got stung last year and were being really stretched by Glen. Their management will have come to the conclusion that they were vulnerable at the end of games(15 players behind the ball might not be enough , even if one of them is the second best player in Ireland and a Galway man). Taking in all these factors, the current in-depth prep and "win-at-all " costs mentality of top teams, it would be a master stroke to try to get extra bodies in the defence at the end . Repelling Glen's final attacks were helped by the crowding , not just physically but the Visual deterrent of numbers back defending and lack of space . Whether this was an incredibly cynical tactic or by accident , it must be seen to be penalised or now many others  will be at it, especially when only the referee officiating . Tbf to KC management another explanation for the chaos could be the rush to get players on the field to keep them sweet with a bit of AI game-time , as they lost their place to "tribesman" (no irony there) , Shane Walsh.
I hesitate to be critical of KC as they operate a brilliant club in a challenging environment, but this must be a hollow victory for most club stalwarts. On reflection, They'll be annoyed, no doubt , that it looks like their all-ireland would never have happened if they hadn't have pulled in the second best player in Ireland for a few months. Despite the cries of "Noice peno, ShaneO" , he's not one of their own , and the genuine KC gaels will have their heads in their hands this morning , wondering if it was all worth it.
Not wanting to take away from the great work being done in KC, but the Shane Walsh fiasco dominated the conversation amongst everyone I talked to about the match .."not a good look".
It's no consolation to Glen , but without Shane Walsh , and just 15 opposition players on the pitch they would have been AI champs, by some distance .
Regarding the extra players, if there isn't a rule to heavily penalise this, there should be.

RedHand88

I honestly can't see anything but a replay as the fairest option. Alot of gaels love to stick the boot into soccer as being a sport of cheats but flip me imagine if that had happened in a Premier League game to decide the title. The same gaels today are saying Glen should take their batein like men and move on.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: 6th sam on January 23, 2023, 09:11:48 AM
It actually struck me at the end of the game how chaotic KC's attempts to get subs on was. As neutrals we commented that it was unusual at the time. Also commented that KC had literally everyone back. They got stung last year and were being really stretched by Glen. Their management will have come to the conclusion that they were vulnerable at the end of games. Taking in all these factors, the current in-depth prep and "win-at-all " costs mentality of top teams, it would be a master stroke to try to get extra bodies in the defence at the end . Repelling Glen's final attacks were helped by the crowding , not just physically but the Visual deterrent of numbers back defending and lack of space . Whether this was an incredibly cynical tactic or by accident , it must be seen to be penalised or now many others  will be at it, especially when only the referee officiating . Tbf to KC management another explanation for the chaos could be the rush to get players on the field to keep them sweet with a bit of AI game-time , as they lost their place to "tribesman" Shane Walsh.
I hesitate to be critical of KC as they operate a brilliant club in a challenging environment, but this must be a hollow victory for most club stalwarts. On reflection, They'll be annoyed, no doubt , that it looks like their all-ireland would never have happened if they hadn't have pulled in the second best player in Ireland for a few months. Despite the cries of "Noice peno, ShaneO" , he's not one of their own , and the genuine KC gaels will have their heads in their hands this morning , wondering if it was all worth it.
Not wanting to take away from the great work being done in KC, but the Shane Walsh fiasco dominated the conversation amongst everyone I talked to about the match .."not a good look".
It's no consolation to Glen , but without Shane Walsh , and just 15 opposition players on the pitch they would have been AI champs, by some distance .
Regarding the extra players, if there isn't a rule to heavily penalise this, there should be.

Do you honestly believe that the clubmen of KC will have looked at this win and be annoyed? They seemed very happy at the final whistle
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

seafoid

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/2023/01/23/glen-to-ask-gaa-for-clarification-on-16th-man-in-all-ireland-club-final/

Derry champions Glen have asked the GAA to review an incident at the end of Sunday's All-Ireland club football final. In the last play of the match, Kilmacud Crokes had 16 players on the pitch. The extra man was Dara Mullin, who had been replaced by Conor Casey just before a 45 was taken.

The kick was awarded after a point-blank Conor Ferris save from Conor Glass. In the picture, widely circulated on social media, Mullin can be seen standing on the line. He doesn't touch the ball, which breaks to Glen's Conleth McGuckian who shoots narrowly wide without getting a deflection, which might have sent it into the net.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Armagh18

That All Ireland, just like Dublins in the last decade and all of Man City/Chelsea/PSG's trophies will always have a massive asterisks beside it.

seafoid

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/2023/01/23/glen-to-ask-gaa-for-clarification-on-16th-man-in-all-ireland-club-final/

The current rule, though, offers three possible penalties: forfeiture, a rematch or a fine "depending on circumstances". Kilmacud will feel that Mullin had no role in what happened and never touched the ball whereas Glen can argue that an extra body on the line has an influence on where the kick goes.

In the semi-final, coincidentally, Mullin stopped a punched effort at goal in the final seconds of the match against Kerins O'Rahilly's.

In the Mayo-Dublin All-Ireland semi-final of 2021, a Mayo 45, which had been missed by Rob Hennelly was ordered to be retaken because Mayo had 16 players on the field. He made no mistake the second time and took the match to extra time, which saw Dublin's six-year run as champions ended.

Dublin's Charlie Redmond remained on the field for about 30 seconds in the 1995 All-Ireland final after being sent off. Tyrone opted not to object.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

johnnycool

Quote from: Saffrongael on January 22, 2023, 06:01:07 PM
Quote from: Wildweasel74 on January 22, 2023, 05:03:48 PM
Had enough to win, played rightly outside of a bad 20min spell end of first half. Crokes had way stronger forwards on top of, Walsh and Mannion.

Aye unfortunately Glen can't go into the transfer market like Kilmacud

Is there not a few Downeys looking away from Gulladuff?

shark

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on January 23, 2023, 09:32:14 AM
Quote from: 6th sam on January 23, 2023, 09:11:48 AM
It actually struck me at the end of the game how chaotic KC's attempts to get subs on was. As neutrals we commented that it was unusual at the time. Also commented that KC had literally everyone back. They got stung last year and were being really stretched by Glen. Their management will have come to the conclusion that they were vulnerable at the end of games. Taking in all these factors, the current in-depth prep and "win-at-all " costs mentality of top teams, it would be a master stroke to try to get extra bodies in the defence at the end . Repelling Glen's final attacks were helped by the crowding , not just physically but the Visual deterrent of numbers back defending and lack of space . Whether this was an incredibly cynical tactic or by accident , it must be seen to be penalised or now many others  will be at it, especially when only the referee officiating . Tbf to KC management another explanation for the chaos could be the rush to get players on the field to keep them sweet with a bit of AI game-time , as they lost their place to "tribesman" Shane Walsh.

Do you honestly believe that the clubmen of KC will have looked at this win and be annoyed? They seemed very happy at the final whistle

They won't be the slightest bit annoyed. They'll look around the clubhouse at lads they've known since 5 years of age , who are now all Ireland champions. They won't even consider the "why".

imtommygunn

One player might be ok but four or five might upset a few people lol. I think that's been resolved anyway.

93-DY-SAM

Quote from: shark on January 23, 2023, 09:53:21 AM
They won't be the slightest bit annoyed. They'll look around the clubhouse at lads they've known since 5 years of age, who are now all Ireland champions. They won't even consider the "why".

LMFAO

yellowcard

The GAA will be really hoping that Glen do not appeal this result. Because if they do it puts them in a huge quandry as they might have to take some form of action, otherwise it sets a dangerous precedent. On the other hand I don't think Glen would be successful if they appealed it as the cup has been lifted and we know how the GAA works. Malachy O'Rourke sounded like he didn't want to go down that route whereas the Glen chairman was less committal. 

Cavan19

Quote from: yellowcard on January 23, 2023, 10:14:29 AM
The GAA will be really hoping that Glen do not appeal this result. Because if they do it puts them in a huge quandry as they might have to take some form of action, otherwise it sets a dangerous precedent. On the other hand I don't think Glen would be successful if they appealed it as the cup has been lifted and we know how the GAA works. Malachy O'Rourke sounded like he didn't want to go down that route whereas the Glen chairman was less committal.

If they appealed they would be successful a clear rule has been broken its black and white here.

imtommygunn

I don't think they should - it's a bloody mess though.

O'Rourke for me nailed it pre match. He was asked about nullifying etc and his answer was look we can nullify whatever threats but we need to bring our a game to win this and that pretty much didn't happen. Great job done on Walsh and Mannion but then various others stood up. KC nullified the big threat of Glass pretty well too.

Pity this has happened tbh.