Manufacturers Warranty

Started by nrico2006, January 08, 2015, 03:40:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nrico2006

Just wondering if anybody has any ideas on where I stand - I have a sofa I got from DFS in December 2012.  Recently noticed a problem with the sofa (one of the 3 seating cushions has basically deformed) and I was wondering if I have any chance of getting them to fix it.  I had rang them at the start of the week and they informed me that the two year manufacturers warranty expired 3 weeks ago therefore I could have to pay to get it fixed depending on what the issue actually is (needs investigated).  They said that as a gesture of goodwill due to my warranty recently expiring they will send someone out this week to assess if the deformity is normal and to be expected or if it is a defect.  Am I liable to pay for this due to my 3 week out of warranty situation or does the sale of goods act supersede this technicality?
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Muzz

If out of warranty you will have to argue under the Sales of goods act that the sofa with reasonable wear and tear would not be expected to deform after 2 years.  Can be a long drawn out affair though

With them saying as gesture of goodwill sending someone out to investigate the cause then you wouldnt be paying for this but in the event they find that it was deformed due to excessive use then you would have to pay to fix it.  If not then they would I imagine fix it again under the gesture of goodwill.

nrico2006

I would hope they fix it under the gesture of goodwill but at the same time I don't imagine that it would be the costliest fix in the world to get a new cushion put in. 
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

HiMucker

Lad I had the same problem with our sofa form DFS.  Only it was in warranty plus we paid a few hundred for extra cover plus the stain protection.  They sent a guy out and done feck all.  Said it was standard where and tear.  Took out the cushions fluffed them up a bit and popped them back in (which in fairness worked a bit).  I would be interested to hear how you get on!