Strategic Review of Gaelic Games in Laois 2017

Started by redsetanta, July 07, 2017, 12:14:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

redsetanta

Quote from: The Monument Road on January 10, 2018, 11:26:58 AM
Barrow house should be ok. They provide the vast majority of Na Fianna OGs compliment of players so they always have a few. They are also close to Athy and usually pick up a few strays from that area. Kileen are in trouble unless they re start their recruitment strategy of old. Kilcruise will muster a few every year as they are getting the majority of the Arles kids coming through.

Is the national school in Killeen still open? They would get those kids if so.
The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

Laoiseabu

Barrowhouse Killeen Kilcruise Annanough Spink Trumera Kyle The Rock Ballypickas Slieve Bloom

merman

Quote from: clonadmad on January 10, 2018, 12:20:22 PM
I see of all the Laois Clubs asked to fill in a Questionnaire and have a consultation night to tease out issues.

Only 1 Club refused to do both

Clonaslee

About 1 in 4 clubs didn't return the questionnaire. Return rate of over 75% was good. Very good in fact; far higher than I'd have thought.

Only 3 clubs didn't facilitate a meeting to allow their club members have a say.

Clonaslee
Kilcavan
Clonad

A huge pity as I'm sure there are members within each ckub who would have a lot to bring to the table.

Don Draper

Quote from: merman on January 10, 2018, 05:31:02 PM
Quote from: clonadmad on January 10, 2018, 12:20:22 PM
I see of all the Laois Clubs asked to fill in a Questionnaire and have a consultation night to tease out issues.

Only 1 Club refused to do both

Clonaslee

About 1 in 4 clubs didn't return the questionnaire. Return rate of over 75% was good. Very good in fact; far higher than I'd have thought.

Only 3 clubs didn't facilitate a meeting to allow their club members have a say.

Clonaslee
Kilcavan
Clonad

A huge pity as I'm sure there are members within each ckub who would have a lot to bring to the table.
Is David O Brien not a Clonad man?

Junior Ex Laoistalk

Quote from: Don Draper on January 09, 2018, 04:18:26 PM
Quote from: The PRO on January 09, 2018, 04:08:27 PM
Quote from: BallyroanAbu on January 09, 2018, 10:49:14 AM
I would also like to mention the proposal to allow both Ladies Football and Camogie a firmer standing within the county as a major positive, it is criminal that the Ladies County Teams and finals are not played in O Moore Park.  It may not be feasible at juvenile but there is no justification at Senior Level.
Fair enough but it would be nice of the Ladies Football and Camogie people to meet the GAA a bit on it. They refuse to come into the GAA yet want all the benefits of their infrastructure.
You've f**king nailed it there.

Looks like the GAA are going to try to get them to come in under their wing after all....

LGFA And GAA Make History With Exciting Fixture Plan For 2018
https://www.balls.ie/gaa/lgfa-gaa-make-history-exciting-fixture-plan-2018-380883
Winners are not those who never fail, but those who never quit!

Butch Cassidy

Any progress on the strategic point? Has there even been talk since of setting up a new club in Portlaoise?

The PRO

Quote from: Butch Cassidy on September 18, 2018, 01:15:03 PM
Has there even been talk since of setting up a new club in Portlaoise?
There's a commitment in the plan to have something done on this by the end of 2018.
It's to be a juvenile club only.
Think there is something along the lines proposed in Ennis in Clare (not 100%). Would be interesting to know how that is working.
Could a second adult club evolve in the town in maybe 10 years time? It's possible but I wouldn't have any great confidence in it happening. Confey in Leixlip is a good example of how it could work. I think they might be only less than 30 years old and they've won a couple of intermediate football championships and three senior hurling championships.

Laoiseabu

SCFC

Not sure if this is the right thread for this but anyway.

There were 7 under 19 championship games down to be played today. 6 football and 1 hurling. How many were played? One.
O'Dempseys v Clonaslee St Manmans. 6 walkovers given. Most notably Portlaoise couldn't field a team to play Courtwood Emo. What the feck is going wrong in the town that this happened?

Jd

It's a bit ridiculous to be starting a club underage competition in late October in my opinion. Lads are away in college ,playing soccer or rugby or a thousand other things. Can we not run underage stuff off during the summer when football and hurling clubs are still training full tilt. Could you imagine having finished your football 2 months ago with nothing in between and suddenly being asked to tog out for a half thought out competition. I have a lad away in college and I know exactly what he'd say if it was suggested to him.

burdizzo

Keyser Söze

Ridiculous to be shoe horning these competitions in. This was inevitable. And when a few clubs do it, it suddenly becomes acceptable and more clubs do it.
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled.......

Downtheroad

Quote from: Keyser Söze on October 21, 2018, 09:18:35 PM
Ridiculous to be shoe horning these competitions in. This was inevitable. And when a few clubs do it, it suddenly becomes acceptable and more clubs do it.
What's the alternative? Most under 19s worth their salt are playing adult during the summer months. Try fitting this competition in when clubs are in the final stages of the adult championships.

Laoiseabu

And the u21 still hasn't even started yet . Another farce