Extending the hand of friendship to Unionism: Wise or unwise?

Started by Lar Naparka, April 29, 2009, 11:18:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lar Naparka

What happened at the Tesco store in Antrim last Sunday has set me thinking.
The GAA has announced a policy of promoting inclusiveness for all and that surely includes Councillor Adrian Watson and those of similar outlook.
ASFAIK, the Ulster Council has taken on the task of exploring ways of establishing contact with members of the Unionist community with a view to inviting recruits from that quarter.
Is it an imitative that should be supported and fostered or is it destined to end in inevitable failure?
In the light of what happened in Antrim town, I'd be interested in finding out what board members think of the chances of the Association developing a fresh source of recruits from across the traditional divide.
Is the venture worth the effort that will be involved or should the idea be dismissed out of hand?
Just how should one go about the process of engagement and at whom should the approaches be aimed?
I presume Adrian Watson won't react positively to any such approach; are there many others who probably will spurn the outstretched hand of friendship?
Do committed GAA supporters, especially in the six counties of Ulster, welcome an influx of non-Nationalists?
Indeed, does the average GAA fan welcome the possible arrival of non-nationals of any sort and what would the GAA need to change to make the Association attractive to others to get them to come on board.
Very few, possibly only the inimitable EG, have brought up the subject on the board but I'm sure many more have opinions on the subject.
I'd love to hear from as many as possible, including of course members of the 'cavalry.'

Last but by no means least:
The following is an excerpt from The GAA Strategic Vision and Action Plan 2009-2015:

• We welcome everybody to be part of our Association
• We are anti sectarian
• We are anti racist

Does the above aptly describe us?
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

ardmhachaabu

Quote from: Lar Naparka on April 29, 2009, 11:18:53 PM
What happened at the Tesco store in Antrim last Sunday has set me thinking.
The GAA has announced a policy of promoting inclusiveness for all and that surely includes Councillor Adrian Watson and those of similar outlook.
ASFAIK, the Ulster Council has taken on the task of exploring ways of establishing contact with members of the Unionist community with a view to inviting recruits from that quarter.
Is it an imitative that should be supported and fostered or is it destined to end in inevitable failure?
In the light of what happened in Antrim town, I'd be interested in finding out what board members think of the chances of the Association developing a fresh source of recruits from across the traditional divide.
Is the venture worth the effort that will be involved or should the idea be dismissed out of hand?
Just how should one go about the process of engagement and at whom should the approaches be aimed?
I presume Adrian Watson won't react positively to any such approach; are there many others who probably will spurn the outstretched hand of friendship?
Do committed GAA supporters, especially in the six counties of Ulster, welcome an influx of non-Nationalists?
Indeed, does the average GAA fan welcome the possible arrival of non-nationals of any sort and what would the GAA need to change to make the Association attractive to others to get them to come on board.
Very few, possibly only the inimitable EG, have brought up the subject on the board but I'm sure many more have opinions on the subject.
I'd love to hear from as many as possible, including of course members of the 'cavalry.'

Last but by no means least:
The following is an excerpt from The GAA Strategic Vision and Action Plan 2009-2015:

• We welcome everybody to be part of our Association
• We are anti sectarian
• We are anti racist

Does the above aptly describe us?

Lar I haven't got time to go into this in detail at the minute, the baby wants fed - so just to be very brief I would like to think that excerpt describes the GAA, if I thought it didn't I wouldn't be a life-long supporter.  On the subject of unionism, there is an ever growing number of Protestants in the north, who would have voted for unionist parties traditionally, getting involved actively in the GAA.  I will get back to you tomorrow on this.
Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something

Puckoon

I think it aptly describes the ethos, one which is striven for across the board.

Like any walks of life, we probably have our share of Adrian Watsonesque arseholes who are happy to mouth off and not encourage change among their clubs.

I think that on the unionist side, there are many who just do not want to be involved, no matter what changes are made. Anyone with a mindset to complain against a series of 12 year old children to my mind could never really want to be involved in the GAA and to be honest, I wouldnt want them (based soley on the fact that anyone who makes a complaint like this understands little about giving and taking, about the needs of children, about community and would bring nothing to the association except negative input - who needs that right?)

I played gaelic with 3 kids from protestant backgrounds growing up - they and their families were welcome, and they knew it.

The people who complain dont want to be involved. They use the isolated incidents and the naming of gaa clubs as a stick to beat their own drum of agenda. That is my firm belief and Im not sure how it could be changed.

Maguire01

Yep, welcome everyone in, regardless of creed or colour. And the GAA should continue to be pro-active in doing so. Having said that, some people will never want to join, and i wouldn't waste my time trying to convince them.

Gnevin

People won't join an organisation who's stated aims and practices are so far removed from their own.
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

Ari

As a Unionist (albeit as lenient as they come) in the 6 counties (hey, I'm being nice  ;D), must say that GAA is something I would watch when it's on the tv (although with a limited understanding, but I pick bits an pieces up every so often), but it's not something I feel I could get involved in.

I guess it's because I recon I would be looked down upon or something.

muppet

Quote from: Ari on April 30, 2009, 12:38:52 AM
As a Unionist (albeit as lenient as they come) in the 6 counties (hey, I'm being nice  ;D), must say that GAA is something I would watch when it's on the tv (although with a limited understanding, but I pick bits an pieces up every so often), but it's not something I feel I could get involved in.

I guess it's because I recon I would be looked down upon or something.

That perception might appear to be slightly paranoid from our side of the fence but it could be the hardest problem to get rid of. In that regard involving as many immigrants as possible might help dilute the problem. It was interesting to see a black player involved in Island games in the excellent Pride of the Parish documentary.
MWWSI 2017

armaghniac

The GAA welcomes everyone, after all a DUP election candidate had played for a team in Dungannon for several years! But it is important to keep saying it. Be sure to send information on clubs to all schools and not just Catholic ones, invite all councillors where you invite some, don't let Sinn Fein take over clubs as an extension of their cumann...  There is a tendency in the GAA for families to be involved in the GAA for generations and having put in the work over the years there can be a feeling that outsiders aren't needed, no just unionists but anyone. The GAA needs to overcome this.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Minder

I would not turn anyone away but be the same token i wouldnt be actively chasing members from the other side of the house. Though i suppose there are various grants for "cross community work" so it is attractive to some and the Ulster Gaa development officers need kept in a job.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

rrhf

keep the politicians and clergy away te feck out of sporting committees, they will drain the energy of the amateur committees people running them and they have enough problems of their own to sort out.  

theskull1

I'm with minder in regards to chasing members from the other side of the house. There is a massive problem with parents from the traditional areas who see it as a baby sitting service and I can only imagine that a higher percentage would see it as such from d'udder side.

If however we can find better ways to involve every parent who gets their child involved to play a role within it (and that they knew they had to play a part beforehand), then I'd have zero problem with it.

Agree about politicians.......as far away as possible
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

Aerlik

Having been involved with the GAA in the U.K. and here in Oz, I KNOW there are players with absolutely no Irish heritage in them, eg. the captain of the Lancs All-Britain U-21 Championship winning team, 1988 (part Chinese, part Afro-Carribean, part English).  

The Antrim incident is yet again demonstrative of the cornered rat mentality that makes its ugly presence felt when Irish culture seeks nothing more than parity in the six north-east counties of the nation.  Some on the board lambast me for (and I paraphrase) "holding on to memories of the past"; well, whaddya know?  Perhaps those "memories" are still realities.  
To find his equal an Irishman is forced to talk to God!

full back

Quote from: Aerlik on April 30, 2009, 09:12:22 AM
The Antrim incident is yet again demonstrative of the cornered rat mentality that makes its ugly presence felt when Irish culture seeks nothing more than parity in the six north-east counties of the nation.

You have hit the nail on the head here aerlik

Hereiam

The GAA doesn't need to change anything in my view. I don't understand what could be offensive about it only the fact that it is played by the nationalist community and is very successful. The people who are against it are the people who are jealous of its success and how well it is run and just use any excuse to run it down.

thejuice

I believe Adrian Watson said he complained on behalf of his constituents and did not feel offense himself. But we've had this discussion many many times over the last few years I've been on this board.

We know that a significant number of Unionists:

1.  don't like the naming of clubs, trophies and competitions etc,
2.  don't like the playing of Amhráin ná bhFiann in the North
3.  and in some cases even argue about the fact that most clubs are representing Roman Catholic parishes.

and these things haven't changed and probably never will by the looks of things, so there will always be those that can never be reached. But I still think we should make every effort to include those who will be open to joining in, there will be those who may be in other communities who may be willing but don't know how and just need a bit of encouragement. We should be screaming it from the roof tops that all our welcome. Expecting it to happen passively will amount to little. If one family join in, then maybe their neighbors might also and so on and so forth.

The same should be done and I believe in some cases is being done in regards the Eastern European, African and Asian communities. But still feel that more could be done on this issue. Especially in urban areas where immigrant communities can easily get isolated. Multi-lingual websites and adverts should be used. British American Football Association (BAFA) launched a website http://www.getintoamericanfootball.com/ which is very impressive and that game has come on leaps and bounds in the last few years especially with Sky Sports showing live coverage. I think a similar approach would be really work in these cases*.

*I dont mean sell out to Sky Sports in that last sentence.  
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016