[D1] Roscommon v Mayo - 27/03/16 [3:30pm, Dr. Hyde Park]

Started by Syferus, March 13, 2016, 06:27:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

theyellowbus

First of all to the clowns on here thinking I'm a troll its amazing these are the same people who seem to spout the most rubbish on this forum.
If anyone has any doubts about my feeling about Roscommon football they can pm me and i will arrange they can come to a training session i will be taking this week as a coach or i can meet them and go through my history as coach at all levels in club football and development squad levels (as I'm sure like many on this forum).I don't see why i need to have to justify myself only that maybe i put up a post which people disagreed with which in all seriousness simply defeats the purpose of a public forum.

On the match itself we were out muscled and outfought by a side who are probably one of the strongest around the middle third in the country.
Positives from a Mayo point of view is they had to stand up and put down some kind of marker for the year which they did.As mentioned their middle diamond was unbelievable at times in terms of work rate and effort.(tom parsons i thought was immense).
Evan Regan seemed to stand up and put in big shout for a starting berth come championship.
Negatives for Mayo was obviously their wide tally especially in the first half,the way they didn't kill a team off that for for 85% of the game were extremely poor,i also thought at times that their indiscipline was at times not what it should have been as they give away lot of possession by getting involved in silly stuff and really no need too.

Positives for our lads was we didn't get hammered out the door by half time which we should have,we kept plugging away which against a team who seemed to win most of the physical challenges was good to see it showed we weren't afraid,we took lot of hits and came back for more this will stand to them,glimpses of D Murtagh shows this lad could be a huge player for us if 100% fit.

Negatives was a lack of a game plan once we don't win enough possession that is very worrying,our sideways and back ways passing brought back memories of us a few years back in Div 3 and 4,our lack of strength in depth around the middle and the centre half back position.

From the Bunker

Quote from: manfromdelmonte on March 28, 2016, 08:34:20 PM
Quote from: muppet on March 28, 2016, 06:04:46 PM
Quote from: Jinxy on March 28, 2016, 04:42:32 PM
We can send ye over a load of sand from PT if that'll help.

I would hate to think what ye might have buried under that!
Few Mayo bodies from 1996 maybe
A few Leinster medals from 2010?

Jinxy

Was impressed with Evan Regan.
Good addition to have a direct runner in the FF line.
He'd want to get himself a proper haircut though.
Fellas with fancy haircuts tend to be unreliable.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Maroon Manc

How many midfielders were Roscommon missing?

Considering how Mayo dominated the game a 4 point win didn't do them justice although Roscommon can still find a few positives from the result.

Regan kicked some great scores although managed to miss a couple off easier chances in the 1st half; If only D Murtagh could stay fit, he's some talent.

Syferus

Quote from: Maroon Manc on March 29, 2016, 04:08:16 PM

Considering how Mayo dominated the game a 4 point win didn't do them justice although Roscommon can still find a few positives from the result.

Regan kicked some great scores although managed to miss a couple off easier chances in the 1st half; If only D Murtagh could stay fit, he's some talent.

Nearly every single one, honestly.

Cathal Shine and Kevin Higgins are our number one pairing when both are fit but it's been two years since both have been together and fit. Both are out right now. Donie Shine is out. So was Senan Kilbride who would be one of our best ball winners even if he usually is playing FF. Thomas Corcoran is one of our best underage midfielders (now overage) of the last few years and he's only back training from an injury recently. Cathal Compton who came on late and did well (beating AOS to two hop ball in the process) is our starting U21 midfielder and one who everyone would have high hopes for in the future. but even he is just back from injury himself. Ultan Harney is a very good (U21) CF who is just back from injury and wasn't in the 26 on Sunday because of that.

Ian Kilbride and Fintan Cregg are not midfielders, both are good HBs and HFs respectively. I'm not worried about being out-muscled in the middle by Mayo because if we meet again it will likely be entirely different match-ups, we just have to focus on getting those players as healthy and sharp as possible for June and July.

ballinaman

Quote from: Syferus on March 29, 2016, 04:20:11 PM
Quote from: Maroon Manc on March 29, 2016, 04:08:16 PM

Nearly every single one, honestly.

Cathal Shine and Kevin Higgins are our number one pairing when both are fit but it's been two years since both have been together and fit. Both are out right now. Donie Shine is out. So was Senan Kilbride who would be one of our best ball winners even if he usually is playing FF. Thomas Corcoran is one of our best underage midfielders (now overage) of the last few years and he's only back training from an injury recently. Cathal Compton who came on late and did well (beating AOS to two hop ball in the process) is our starting U21 midfielder and one who everyone would have high hopes for in the future. but even he is just back from injury himself. Ultan Harney is a very good (U21) CF who is just back from injury and wasn't in the 26 on Sunday because of that.

Ian Kilbride and Fintan Cregg are not midfielders, both are good HBs and HFs respectively. I'm not worried about being out-muscled in the middle by Mayo because if we meet again it will likely be entirely different match-ups, we just have to focus on getting those players as healthy and sharp as possible for June and July.
Higgins and Shine did well in 2014 if I can remember correctly. Think it was AOS and SOS in the middle that day for Mayo. Young DOC and COS were thrown in at the deep end and didn't get on many breaks.
Parsons is continuing his form of 2015 and is a big addition from 2014.

Cunny Funt

It was the two O Sheas v Higgins,C Shine in midfield for the 2014 championship game. I got this from the don't foul website.

Kickouts

Roscommon's kickouts   Won   %   Turned into a possession   %   Shot   %
Roscommon   15   60%   9   60%   7   47%
Mayo   10   40%   6   60%   2   20%
Mayo's kickouts   Won   %   Turned into a possession   %   Shot   %
Roscommon   8   42%   8   100%   8   100%
Mayo   11   58%   8   73%   7   64%
Although the headline numbers show an even contest, with a 23-21 split of kickouts won in favour of Roscommon, when we look a bit deeper Roscommon had by far the better of this contest.

Roscommon managed to convert 65% (15 of 23 won) of their kickouts won to a shot whereas Mayo only converted 43% (9 of 21). Roscommon managed an extra six shots from kickouts.

As can be seen from above the difference is most pronounced on what the teams did with primary possession from the opposition's kickouts. Roscommon won 8 of Mayo's 19 (42%) kickouts – and converted them all to shots. Mayo won 10 of Roscommon's 25 kickouts (40%) but only managed to convert two to a shot.

Perhaps the most surprising element of the kickout battle was how few short kickouts there were – only three combined from the 43 we could track in full (the cameras missed one of the early Roscommon kickouts).

blast05

Quote from: Cunny Funt on March 29, 2016, 05:27:04 PM
It was the two O Sheas v Higgins,C Shine in midfield for the 2014 championship game. I got this from the don't foul website.

Kickouts

Although the headline numbers show an even contest, with a 23-21 split of kickouts won in favour of Roscommon, when we look a bit deeper Roscommon had by far the better of this contest.

Roscommon managed to convert 65% (15 of 23 won) of their kickouts won to a shot whereas Mayo only converted 43% (9 of 21). Roscommon managed an extra six shots from kickouts.

As can be seen from above the difference is most pronounced on what the teams did with primary possession from the opposition's kickouts. Roscommon won 8 of Mayo's 19 (42%) kickouts – and converted them all to shots. Mayo won 10 of Roscommon's 25 kickouts (40%) but only managed to convert two to a shot.

Perhaps the most surprising element of the kickout battle was how few short kickouts there were – only three combined from the 43 we could track in full (the cameras missed one of the early Roscommon kickouts).

You forgot the most important fact/stat from that day .... Mayo were well below par (in terms of the level of energy/aggression/intensity), but still won

Blowitupref

Quote from: blast05 on March 29, 2016, 08:37:44 PM

Kickouts

You forgot the most important fact/stat from that day .... Mayo were well below par (in terms of the level of energy/aggression/intensity), but still won

Or maybe Mayo weren't allowed to display the same energy/aggression/intensity as they were last Sunday.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Syferus

Kickouts

The midfield ladeens weren't sitting back having tea and crumpets when those balls were coming in on top of them. Mayo's failings that day echoed their failings against Kerry in both games that year. It all stems from the same place.

blast05

Quote from: Blowitupref on March 29, 2016, 08:45:10 PM

Kickouts

Or maybe Mayo weren't allowed to display the same energy/aggression/intensity as they were last Sunday.

The opposition don't stop you from playing with your normal level of aggression/intensity/energy (AIE).
The opposition can play at higher levels of AIE than you are capable off and this coupled with (or indeed sometimes instead of or even without) higher skill level, smarter players, luck and the 101 other micro ingredients can beat you.
On Sunday, Ros seemed to have a lower than normal AIE thus giving Mayo free reign in the middle third.
In 2014 v Ros, Mayo played at a lower level of AIE than they usually did in championship under James Horan but still won.

Cunny Funt

Quote from: Blowitupref on March 29, 2016, 08:45:10 PM

Kickouts

Exactly the physical nature of the Roscommon middle 8 in 2014 compared to last Sunday was like chalk and cheese.

larryin89

Quote from: larryin89 on March 25, 2016, 11:05:45 AM
TT has opted out too I'm hearing.

Best of luck to him . Wasn't playing well of late but had some fine days in the green above the red .
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

Captain Obvious

Quote from: larryin89 on March 29, 2016, 09:40:41 PM

Best of luck to him . Wasn't playing well of late but had some fine days in the green above the red .
Are you talking to yourself there Larry?

From the Bunker

Quote from: larryin89 on March 29, 2016, 09:40:41 PM

Crippled with injury. Mayo could ever only get one (good) half out of him. For a short period gave Higgins a chance to play center half forward (usually for one half as said earlier).